Police appeal to locate missing teenager – Charlotte’s Pass Monday, 06 Sep 2010

BrumbyJack

First Runs
May 10, 2000
Jindabyne :-)
Media Release Archive
Police appeal to locate missing teenager – Charlotte’s Pass
Monday, 06 Sep 2010 09:05pm

The family of a developmentally delayed teenage boy, missing in the NSW Alpine Region, have asked police for help in locating him

Evan Greenwood, 15, was last seen by his family about 9.30am today when he told them he was going skiing. When he did not return by lunchtime, his relatives alerted resort staff at Charlotte’s Pass who began searching.

At 4pm police and emergency services were notified and commenced a further search. The search involved police from Monaro Local Area Command, SES volunteers, NSW Fire Brigades and National Parks personnel. Alpine operators have also been called on to provide advice regarding the terrain and conditions.

Evan is described as having long brown hair, 162cm tall and approximately 68 kilograms. When he was last seen he was wearing a dark green and grey ski jacket, black pants, black helmet and gloves. He was carrying a pair of downhill skis.

Police hold growing concerns for Evan’s welfare with unstable weather conditions predicted overnight. The search is expected to resume at 6am tomorrow.

Anyone who might have seen Evan is urged to contact Queanbeyan Police via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. All information will be treated in strict confidence.

Police Media Release

Last edited by a moderator:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I assume it is what we used to call "retarded".

let's keep this thread on topic and just hope they find him safe and sound

foxpuppet

One of Us
May 22, 2005
Tokyo, Zao, Niseko
not a good day to get lost yesterday...weather was not really the type to let your kids ski alone.
hope they find him this morning...last night would have been cold out there

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Re: Police appeal to locate missing teenager – Charlotte’s Pass Monday, 06 Sep 2

smitty484 said:
What is a developmentally delayed teenage boy?

A large hairy, bearded young man, with a very high voice.

Doesnt sound good to me. CP is a small place, and I assume they checked that he didnt depart on the OS. Shacked up with a sick cougar?

We can only hope for the best, but this doesnt sound good to me at all.

And a thought to the searchers, good on you. I am sure the lads distraught parents appreciate your efforts immensely, and the world is a better place with people like you in it.

hpsauce

A Local
Ski Pass
May 19, 2008
smitty484 said:
A softer way of saying "intellectually impaired". A teenager in body only.

SNJ

One of Us
May 8, 2002
Southern Sydney
Hmmm after hearing all the bits and pieces of information it doesn't sound good. Hoping for the best and they find him

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
frown.gif

Best of luck to searchers and rescuers.
May he be found quickly.
My compassion to worried family.

pow_pow

Hard Yards
Aug 4, 2009
thats the worst thing to happen to any family,

i wish everyone luck in the search and wish i could be there to help.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
ABC news is a bit more specific.
"mild autism"

I feel for his worried family, and also the distress of the searchers.
I hope there can be a miraculous outcome.

vertigo

First Runs
Aug 18, 2009
Ahhhh shite, thats not good at all.

Hoping to see a happy story appear here soon. Hopefully someone upstairs is looking out for the young bloke and he's found safe and well.

bhoffo

First Runs
Re: Kid Missing in Charlottes Pass

Not as far as I know... I worked down there in Rescue for several years...hope he comes through it ok but it would be cold out last night for anyone - more so for someone with an intellectual disability...

When I was 'working' there we often found 'missing' people in the arms of someone they met on the slopes through the day...I don't think this will apply to this young guy though..

vertigo

First Runs
Aug 18, 2009
Did much snow fall in the afternoon/overnight? Whats the odds of them finding tracks, assuming he's gone over the back or outside the normal boundaries??

Times like this I wish I lived closer and could help. I hate being a helpless observer

chief

First Runs
Aug 11, 2009
About 5-10 cms they have searched every lodge and are looking outside boundary areas

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008

Good luck.Hope they using dogs with good noses/Lets hope this is a quickly found person and weather holds for while,

3decks

One of Us
Feb 1, 2002
smitty484 said:

I cant believe no one has said a "snowboarder"

Hopefully the kid turns up ok!

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Dare I say it, but the week we spent at CP this year, very little to none of the mountain obstacles were marked, this included the edges of the bridges, and a particularly nasty hole, maybe six feet deep at the bottom of the run they call waterfall, it would have been very easy to end up in the drink in bad visibility, not sure what the rain event would have done to these particular dangers, but I wouldn't imagine it would have been good. What was the vis like yesterday? Good / Flat / Cloud???

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
3 actually, one in convo, one in charlote pass and one in talk snow. i'm thinking of moving this to a more structured forum but i'll leave it so long as it is civilized.

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
This is just a terrible, tragic situation. The kid will be in very serious danger if he is not found today.

I wonder why his family allowed him to go skiing by himself? Did he run off? Skiing alone has a risk which cannot be ignored, even by experienced locals skiing in-bounds...I certainly cannot imagine trusting a 'developmentally disabled' teenager to judge that risk by himself.

It only takes one stray branch or unfortunately-situated hidden rock, and you are unconscious and bleeding at the bottom of a gully...

Louie

A Local
Jul 26, 1999
NSW
Majikthise said:
How 'rotten' is the snow cover after all the rain?

not rotten at all - certainly not at the altitude of CP. Cover is as good as peak season in any good year.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Re: Police appeal to locate missing teenager – Charlotte’s Pass Monday, 06 Sep 2

Body found
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

Worst result.
Poor Family!

vertigo

First Runs
Aug 18, 2009
Condolences to the parents, and thoughts go out to the search party.

Absolutely tragic, and hopefully nothing to do with the resort itself.

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
More detailed story.

Sydney Morning Herald said:
Police said a body had today been found two kilometres from Charlotte Pass resort, behind the Mount Guthrie ski run area at 11.30am.

The teenager's family have been told of the find.

A police spokeswoman said Evan, who had mild autism, was considered adequately skilled to handle the resort's ski runs alone.

"He had three years' experience and was considered an intermediate," she said.

She said Evan was in good spirits when he left his accommodation at the resort yesterday morning.

Temperatures dropped below freezing last night.

I am so sorry for everyone involved
frown.gif

SnowTragic

Hard Yards
Feb 1, 2009
Sydney
3 years experience and considered intermediate... while having "mild autism"..?

Even I get a little nervous skiing on my own and i'm nearly 30 years old with plenty of years experience and considered a high intermediate... I fell at Happy Valley on the way to Mt P last week by myself and thought "maybe I shouldn't go up Mt P by myself" as someone else mentioned it only takes a tree or a rock to end up laying broken or unconscious somewhere on the hill...

Condolances to the family and thanks to the search teams.

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney

Sydney Morning Herald said:
Police said a body had today been found two kilometres from Charlotte Pass resort, behind the Mount Guthrie ski run area at 11.30am.

The teenager's family have been told of the find.

A police spokeswoman said Evan, who had mild autism, was considered adequately skilled to handle the resort's ski runs alone.

"He had three years' experience and was considered an intermediate," she said.

She said Evan was in good spirits when he left his accommodation at the resort yesterday morning.

Temperatures dropped below freezing last night.

I am so sad for everyone involved
frown.gif

But, it unfortunately has to be said...skiing alone has a significant risk, even for very experienced skiiers, it only takes one stray branch or badly-hidden rock and you are unconsious and bleeding at the bottom of a gully, completely hidden from sight.

People need to learn from this. A mildy autistic teenager should not have been skiing alone.

Reactions: ladycamper
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass