poor snow year - choose NSW over Vic?

loklok

One of Us
Jun 5, 2005
Perth, far from the snow
I am taking a party of 8 over to Falls next year in late July, and was wondering whether it's worth it to shift over to Perisher/Thredbo instead.

Taking into account snowmaking, visitor numbers, etc, is there really much difference between Falls/Hotham and the NSW resorts in a terrible year?

In a good year I would make my mind up in different ways, and here's hoping next year will be good (lightning never strikes twice, right?)...

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
In this terrible season, FC was the best of Vic, but by the sound of things, NSW did a lot better.
This year, what little snow there was favoured resorts on southern/eastern slopes. That is not a normal feature of weather patterns in good or bad years.

In an average year, everything at FC would be open by late July, although some parts of The Maze may not be too flash.

FC runs that face south do not go to low altitudes, so they are well suited to having complete cover, even in poor years. In anything other than a total shocker like this year, there is plenty of snow in this area to keep beginners and intermediates very happy. There also a bit of advanced skiing if you open your eyes and use your imagination.

The more advanced skiing is on the northern side and goes to lower altitudes. This can struggle in poor years. The summit and international lifts did not run at all this year.
cry.gif
cry.gif
Summit has always been able to open for part of other poor years. Other beginner and intermediate runs on the north side, including Wombats Ramble, also struggle in poor years.

In general FC is less crowded than most of the other big resorts. In a shocker like this year, that is not necessarily true as people dessert other mountains and come to FC, making it crowded.

So in summary: this year FC was not as good as Thredbo & PB, but conditions were very unusual. FC will usually offer less crowded skiing on quite good cover in poor years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
this year's snow, the worst in at least 24 years,is not a reason to change your plans.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I have heard old timers say they haven't seen it this bad in the 50 years plus they have been at FC (if you don't count snowmaking)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass