Possible mountains In France to ski for all levels

Discussion in 'Europe' started by haydos1, Jun 5, 2018.

1. haydos1

haydos1 Hard Yards

Hey guys

I'm staying in Lille for the next from August and obviously looking to do some skiing over the Christmas break. Looking for a decent resort that is relatively cheap, suitable for all levels (beginner to advanced) and relatively snow sure (I'm not asking for much aye). Also if anyone knows any closer resorts to lille for weekend trips that would be great as well.

Cheers

2. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

it’s a long way to the mountains from Lille. You are talking 600kms+ to anywhere good. However if you are driving or triaining that far it gives you access to pretty much all the big, snow sure French resorts. However cheap and Christmas don’t go in the same sentence for skiing. 1st week of January (post new year) is the cheapest week to ski.

3. haydos1

haydos1 Hard Yards

Yeah I know Lille is a mile away from anything, but i will be training it, so I don't mind. yeah I'll see how I go.
    Uni start back again on the 8th so i'll be looking probably like the 28th-5th or something similar.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you are training it will depend on train timetables to places like Grenoble or Bourg St Maurice. Even to places in Germany like Garmisch Partenkirchen. Look at the timetables then decide where to ski.

piolet likes this.
  5. haydos1

haydos1 Hard Yards

I don't mind, it would be pretty flexible so I wouldn't mind where I have to go, I mean i fly to Japan from Aus, so i don't mind going anyway.

6. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Don't the high speed trains from london (Eurostar) stop there with some going to Brussels and others going to Paris.
    They used to do specific trains from the U.K going to Bourg st Maurice , mostly overnight.
    Not sure if they stop there as well.

7. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

Even during Christmas there are always accommodation options. My recommendation would be have a look at train options ie which areas can you get to easily from Lille and then decide where to ski based on the snow conditions in December once you see them. I’m flying to France for 1 week in Jan to see my parents and bro. We will book our accommodation and pick resort the week before we go based on conditions. There are so many options you are always on a winner doing it last minute (I don’t know about train tickets but this applies for everything else)

8. haydos1

haydos1 Hard Yards

Yeah cheers LDJ, only issue with that is while my dates and times are flexible I have others coming from Australia, so maybe not entirely possible. It is something to keep in mind though.

9. jonathanc

jonathanc One of Us

It's a long way from Lille, but 3 Vallees is a reasonable spot for groups of mixed ability. Groomed runs are primarily intermediate with a couple of steeper in-bounds couloirs, but there's endless challenging off-piste to keep the more advanced skiers / riders busy.

If you base yourself in Meribel the price is pretty reasonable, and if you catch the Saulire gondola in the morning you can reach the Courchevel couloirs before the people paying mega-bucks to stay in Courchevel. You can even stay further down in the valley (e.g. Les Allues) to save more money and catch the long gondola (can't remember what it's called) in the mornings.

10. Hagle

Hagle First Runs

I have only skied once in France and that was in early December 2014 when we decided to book Val d'Isere/Tignes because of the high altitude and two glaciers. Glad we did, because it was a poor start to the season. Anyway, I have otherwise spent a lot of time in France for work and reckon you could get a TGV from Lille to Lyon in about 3 hours and from there you have a myriad of choice for ski resorts within 2 or 3 hours by bus, including Val d'Isere/Tignes and Trois Vallees

11. Hyst

Hyst One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

It is new years week - better start booking early - find out uni ski-club might be a idea.
    (New year is the most expensive time in Europe for skiing - first or second week are a lot cheaper)

If you want to stay cheap with young people have a look at the Budget option here:

http://www.chaletchardons.com/en/hotel-prices/ (Tignes is not good for beginners)

It includes half board! Train to Bourg st Maurice.

From Bourg you could go to Vallandry or Les Arc 1800, which a both good for beginners and advanced.

In Vallandry area you find lots of british caterd chalets. (nice area).

Have a look at UCPA as well - made for young people in France - now used by other countries as well.

12. driz

driz Hard Yards

With regards to weekend trips, you can get a train to Lyon in about 3 hours and on to Grenoble in just over 5. Looks like there's a train leaving at 515pm on Friday arvo, although this was based on a summer route and the winter schedule isn't known yet.

From Grenoble, there are bus+ski pass type offers to small resorts in the Vercors and Chatreuse national parks, as well as Chamrousse overlooking the city and host of the 1968 Olympics. Alpe D'Huez, Les Deux Alpes are also not too far, although not sure on the transport to these. Grenoble would also be easy to get weekend accommodation for, which is not always the case in a lot of the mountain stations.

Some photos from Chamrousse - looking over Grenoble:

Got some snow overnight:

Mostly benign but some steeper parts, particularly around the northern end:

13. KL.

KL. One of Us

14. KL.

KL. One of Us

Tignes/Val d'Isere and Trois Vallees, sound good

15. KL.

KL. One of Us

this sounds good