Question postimage.org image hosting

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Richard, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept
    Administrator

I noticed a lot of broken postimg.org image URL's over the weekend in this Weather forum.

postimg servers changed with no redirect and it appears that they were subject to takedown orders - so there is a chance they will be forced to move servers again sometime in the future. This completely negates the notion of images never being lost and is far less reliable than uploading directly to these forums.

I have now repaired the missing images by doing a database search and replace - but it's bound to happen again.

Being as you may all upload images freely now for almost two years - and our system automatically resizes images for desktop and mobile (so no need to worry about resizing prior to upload) - I'm curious to know what problem postimage.org solves?

It looks like a few of you use it regularly sometimes uploading and sometimes using postimage.org? @Jellybeans1000 ?

Claude Cat likes this.
  2. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Have no need to host elsewhere since the advent of this epic forum upgrade. Not sure why others would host elsewhere either?
    I'd have a hunch and say it's just some aren't aware of the easability of hosting via this forum/XenForo.

Claude Cat and mick chopps like this.
  3. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I wasn’t for a while. To much amusement of many. I am now across this.

4. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Walking on a dream
    Ski Pass - Gold

Last year I think. Various old threads with my broken images. Some of the images didn't upload with the forum photo tool. But it all works now, haven't used it in a while.

5. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Come to think of it I have had issues uploading images via my Iphone. It seems random and simply just gives you an error response. TBH I can't recall what file types these were but will post here if it comes about again @Richard .