1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Potential driving conditions 9th August.

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by snowmobile, Aug 5, 2019.

1. snowmobile

snowmobile One of Us

Hey Guys,

Traveling to Selwyn Friday morning for 3 days with the kids.
    The intention was to drive directly to Selwyn and let the kids ride the tubes and toboggans then get fitted out with their ski gear to be ready for kids Club the next day, we then would drive to our accommodation at Anglers Reach.

Looking at the current forecast, Friday the 9th looks to be an interesting driving experience just on the Monaro between Canberra and Cooma.
    I haven't driven the Snowy Mountains Hwy during sketchy conditions but i recall there are couple of spots that could get snowy/icy and possible fallen trees over the road.
    I'm definitely hiring chains even though we're in a AWD Klugger.

My question is should we just hire our gear from Cooma and drive directly to our accommodation?
    What's other peoples experience driving to Selwyn during this type of weather?

I have experience driving to Perisher and Thredbo in snowy conditions, the same time last year i drove out of Mt Hotham with chains on the Forester after 3 days of snow.

Thanks.

2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Road will be fun. Regular ploughing. Just poke along at an appropriate speed. This is crawling down any hill in a low gear and hitting the uphills with some momentum.

bywong_yuki likes this.
  3. bywong_yuki

bywong_yuki One of Us

We hired in Cooma. So much less of a headache fighting with everyone else when its blowing and snowing.
    The roads fine just drive as @Snow Blowey mentioned. Watch for horses.
    If you see a crazy man at Kiandra on xc gear on Saturday arvo feel free to give us a wave.

4. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

From memory the Snowy Mountains Hwy from Adaminaby on does have more tricky spots than the other roads into the NSW snow, from shaded roads and sharp angles as it twists and turns.