Review POW Stealth GTX Gloves - the best gloves I’ve ever used

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
So lots of people tell me that I’m lucky that I get to ski on brand new skis all the time, it’s true and I do enjoy it, but there’s something better than new ski day, it’s new glove day and new sock day.

I reckon because our hand and feet are so tactile that we really respond to things that feel nice, and given the dexterity requirements there are things about gloves that can really frustrate if they’re NQR.

So this year I decided to bust out some POW Stealth GTXs. They’re a full leather, Gore Tex glove, they have a velcro closure on the cuff so they’re designed to be worn under your jacket cuffs, they come with an optional leash, which I go without, and at $149 they’re a killer price point - most full leather Gore Tex gloves are in the $200-$230 range. These ones are better.

Anyway for the first few weeks of the season I was totally cursed, every time I headed up the weather was crap. I had one particularly wet day out, real Australian skiing special, but when I was skiing back home I noticed that there was no sign whatsoever of water ingress. Nothing.

Fast forward to the recent storm cycle, I skied through the whole thing, temps got down to -6, I never once got cold fingers, no clamminess inside from perspiration, they just felt absolutely bone dry and soft inside the entire time. The thumbs have a suede finish which is good for nose and goggle wiping, and the inside material doesn’t seem to grab when you are putting them on hand that’s slightly moist, nor does it feel like you’re going to pull them inside out when taking them off.

I’ll have to see how they go when the temps push up to a level that’s borderline warm for a full winter glove, but so far I’ve skied in some pretty foul conditions and they’ve been amazing.

https://aussieskier.com/products/pow-stealth-gloves

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

piolet

Better make it three
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
So lots of people tell me that I’m lucky that I get to ski on brand new skis all the time, it’s true and I do enjoy it, but there’s something better than new ski day, it’s new glove day and new sock day.

I reckon because our hand and feet are so tactile that we really respond to things that feel nice, and given the dexterity requirements there are things about gloves that can really frustrate if they’re NQR.

So this year I decided to bust out some POW Stealth GTXs. They’re a full leather, Gore Tex glove, they have a velcro closure on the cuff so they’re designed to be worn under your jacket cuffs, they come with an optional leash, which I go without, and at $149 they’re a killer price point - most full leather Gore Tex gloves are in the $200-$230 range. These ones are better.

Anyway for the first few weeks of the season I was totally cursed, every time I headed up the weather was crap. I had one particularly wet day out, real Australian skiing special, but when I was skiing back home I noticed that there was no sign whatsoever of water ingress. Nothing.

Fast forward to the recent storm cycle, I skied through the whole thing, temps got down to -6, I never once got cold fingers, no clamminess inside from perspiration, they just felt absolutely bone dry and soft inside the entire time. The thumbs have a suede finish which is good for nose and goggle wiping, and the inside material doesn’t seem to grab when you are putting them on hand that’s slightly moist, nor does it feel like you’re going to pull them inside out when taking them off.

I’ll have to see how they go when the temps push up to a level that’s borderline warm for a full winter glove, but so far I’ve skied in some pretty foul conditions and they’ve been amazing.

FFS I bought new gloves just the other day
Why didn't you see into the future and post this last week?

kaegee

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Freshwater
Look good . Bought newys a month ago .
Brief was simples . Leather gore tex primoloft cuffed mitt with no internal fingers .Dakine Galaxy . They’d do too . :thumbs:

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

What do the straps look like?

Thanks

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town

I bought a pair of Atomic leather goretex in 1986. Under cuff with a powder skirt, which was a radical design thing at the time. $75. Crazy dollars for the day. Easy $300 now.

Stupid things were good for twenty years. And the hardest ski years of my life including two full seasons at Thredbo. Wasn’t until late 2000’s that stiching at thumbs finally gave way and they were done. Not least of which hopelessly out of fashion but I didn’t care.

Nothing since has matched for me.

It’s hard to get leather and goretex right but when you find a unicorn it’s heaven. I’m sold.

Every2years

Addicted
Jul 7, 2017
I bought these mitts this season (in the rigger colour). Agree, they are excellent. They were the only gloves I wore on our trip in late July - the others didn't leave my bag.

Reactions: CarveMan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
CarveMan not interested to let us know where they are made?
Maybe one of the above users can have a look at the tag inside and post?
Probs China, but the reason I ask is 25% cheaper than their equivalents (spec wise) is significant ............why/how?
Equivalents are probs made in China as well?
Thus wanting to know they are being made responsibly.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass