Pre departure Covid test in USA. How?

skilady

Hard Yards
Feb 23, 2015
Hi there

There is a similar thread in Canada channel and a bit of chatter spread across the existing USA threads but thought it might be easier to pull the topic here.

For those who have recently come home from USA or planning to do so in the next couple of weeks, what is your plan for getting pre-departure tests as per requirements mentioned here: https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/international-travel/inbound
- PCR or RT-PCR Test? Free community clinics or paid testing labs?
- Supervised RAT Test? In-person or video?

What has the experience been with costs and waiting times?

Thank you in advance!

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Clarity Mobile Venture, LLC. RT-PCR test for COVID-19 from CLIA Certified lab.

Several locations in LAX
$125 for PCR (in 24 hrs)
$ 80ish for a RAT while you wait.

We ended up doing PCRs 3 days prior, to get it out of the way.

Had no probs on QF12 ... arrived home today!

1645437104127.png

Reactions: MisterMxyzptlk

skilady

Hard Yards
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks @Nidecker !! So you got the RT-PCR results within 24 hours? Those LA prices seem pretty reasonable.

Prices seem variable across USA, I've seen some other states charging $250 for PCR test for rapid turnaround! I've seen some cheaper PCR options as well but take 72 or even 96 hours to return which is too long (if you're not spending much time at your final destination).

The keyword for searching appears to be "RT-PCR" to help hone in the clinics that can help provide an expedited service.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Clarity Mobile Venture, LLC. RT-PCR test for COVID-19 from CLIA Certified lab.

Several locations in LAX
$125 for PCR (in 24 hrs)
$ 80ish for a RAT while you wait.

We ended up doing PCRs 3 days prior, to get it out of the way.

Had no probs on QF12 ... arrived home today!

1645437104127.png
Thanks @Nidecker !! So you got the RT-PCR results within 24 hours? Those LA prices seem pretty reasonable.

Prices seem variable across USA, I've seen some other states charging $250 for PCR test for rapid turnaround! I've seen some cheaper PCR options as well but take 72 or even 96 hours to return which is too long (if you're not spending much time at your final destination).

The keyword for searching appears to be "RT-PCR" to help hone in the clinics that can help provide an expedited service.
Check for sure, but I'm 90% certain that Australia now allows certified RAT tests for reentry to Australia, as well as PCR.

I've traveled 4 times to the US from Japan in the last 15 months, and the prices vary a lot.

skilady

Hard Yards
Feb 23, 2015
Check for sure, but I'm 90% certain that Australia now allows certified RAT tests for reentry to Australia, as well as PCR.

I've traveled 4 times to the US from Japan in the last 15 months, and the prices vary a lot.
Thanks @Sandy! Yes I believe they do but only within 24 hours of departure which worse case scenario of testing positive, won't leave a lot of time to make alternative plans :(. So I think my preference at the moment is to get a PCR result within 3 days of departure but get results back sooner rather than later.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding

This is correct. - 100%

We chose PCR cause we were at the airport on the way in from SLC, and had a 2 night stay in Hollywood before we came home so it worked for us. + would have allowed us a little more planning if we were +.

Test times were very similar to AUS, tested at around midday, results late afternoon. FWIW they used to fly their samples to Miami, they now have a lab onsite at the airport.

Sure we could have saved some money, but it was more a choice of just getting it out of the way and completing the digital passenger declaration. --- then going sightseeing :)

Side note: So refreshing spending three weeks away from the constant barrage of Covid numbers that we are subjected to here in AUS. The only reminder was masks (not so much in AZ though)

Last edited:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Thanks @Sandy! Yes I believe they do but only within 24 hours of departure which worse case scenario of testing positive, won't leave a lot of time to make alternative plans :(. So I think my preference at the moment is to get a PCR result within 3 days of departure but get results back sooner rather than later.
You can do a free test RAT at CVS pharmacy or a home RAT a couple of days before you get your certified RAT. This is what I've been doing.

Reactions: skivet

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Had a RAT in the carpark near the Sonesta hotel at LAX . Cannot remember how much but the results took 20mins which we waited for. They gave us a hard copy.Good service.

Reactions: LMB and skilady

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
We did the RAT test 6 hrs before our flight home at the Intenational airport terminal, arrival ( downstairs ) north end of terminal. A bit confusing at first as we ended up south end where a poster board told us it was upstairs in departures to then find it was downstairs( arrivals) the other end. Finally found it , then cannot just walk in. You need to register and pay online , then book an appointed time. It wasn’t busy and took around 15 minutes to do this, but would have been better if I had done it beforehand. $80 and results emailed within 30 minutes.

Reactions: LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass