1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Pre internet snowreports.

Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by TomGroggon, May 11, 2019.

1. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Rang the ski club on the mountain we were members of.

Ozgirl likes this.
  2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I collected weather charts, temperature, barometric pressure and snowdepth records daily during the season, from 1984 to 1996, to work out the relationship between barometric pressure and snowfall.
    I also used those weather charts to predict the movement and location of similar low pressure systems and the barometric pressure, to make predictions about snowfall.

3. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

How was your predictive skill?

4. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Was pretty good. The best was in around 1991, when I saw a big low pressure trough heading in, and predicted about 3 days out, that we'd get more than a metre of snow in 3-4 days.... went up a day before, and got snowed in at Hotham. Car was angle parked next to the road on dirt, and 4 days later, you couldn't drive out, because road level was packed up to the level of the bonnet.

Chaeron, Marty_McSly, VSG and 3 others like this.
  5. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I think Hotham recorded well over a 4m base that season. Much deeper drifts around the Summit. Friends did a trip from CBR which I was meant to do, but things went awry at work. Huge. The photos that appeared in pre internet snow mags were epic.

6. newman

newman Addicted

When living in Banff for a season in the early 2000s I used to do the radio snow reports when on shift at the lift ticket office.

The three resorts would send a very early morning fax in a particular, specific format with overnight snow, predicted temps, number of lifts running etc etc. I then had a script with blank _________________ spaces for this info to be filled in. You would then ring a message service and record the script into the phone. I got the job because I could read the script while making the least mistakes and having to start again. The only speculative blank space was-

"Good morning skiers and boarders, it's set to be another _____________________ day in the Rocky Mountains". Which was invariably "Great, awesome, legendary, magic" etc etc.

The rest was just temperature and snowbase etc. If there had been fresh snow you added those paragraphs in- but ONLY if there had been fresh snow.

Funny times being in a shop or bus or something and hearing people complain about the report.

7. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Sheep glaciers warning coming through the fax at TAH, back in the day!