1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Pre northern hemisphere season fitness

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Biggy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Biggy

Biggy First Runs

ok so other than the obvious answer "ski all this season"
    im in search for a suitable routine to get myself and legs in shape before a three month trip to the us where constant skiing and hiking will be the norm

HELP

2. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

MTB would have to be one of the best, very low impact unless you fall, great for the drivers (quads). If you have some good tracks it can be great fun not just boring training.

Also get as much practice drinking beer here at altitude.(maybe not so good for the core strength though)

3. Tropical

Tropical One of Us

My roomate at uni is an exercise scientist and has designed an overall fitness program for me with a focus on core strength for skiing.

It basically goes

Cardio (run/bike/row)
    Strength:
    Basic upper body (bench press, compound row, chin-ups
    Lower body: Squats, single leg squats
    Conditioning:
    Depth Jumps, Squat jumps, 8 point squats (single leg).
    Core:
    Any core exercises you can come up with: I do various sit up type exerises on my back and sides and also use other tool such as big exersise ball and medicine ball sit ups.

Finally dynamic stretching.

In the past 4 months my fitness has improved out of sight with a routine that I tinker with a bit but always follows the order of

Cardio, Strength (weights), Conditioning (burst power exercises), Core, Stretching.

Although leg strength is important, the most important in my opinion is core strength. Do lots of sight ups, crunches, side push ups etc. and you cant go wrong.

I've lost 10kgs and am stronger and more flexible than ever, bring on season 08-09 Utah [​IMG]

#3 Tropical, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Now work on your balance & reflexes.

Balance boards, balance boards with eyes closed, standing on swiss balls etc. Just as important.

5. NoOne

NoOne First Runs

This might help. Clicky

Good Luck! [​IMG]

#5 NoOne, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  6. Graeme

Graeme First Runs Endless Winter

um...maybe go skiing in our winter

7. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Wot ya doon is great.

Power walk up lots of steep hills and do pilates sessions the days between gym session days ... and wot CM said.

Substitute swimming instead of bulk muscle gym sessions and introduce running sessions in thigh deep water

Core is very good but you can also start working all the little muscles in the lower leg and foot\calf\shin zone.

Oh yeh and skipping, switch foot, changing feet, double on one foot etc. Cardio, balance and lean muscle building.

Remember ... the turn starts from the feet and builds and the dynamic power\strength that you create with muscle should only be required when the subtle precise and clinically deliberate moves get out of shape.

8. cleeshoy

cleeshoy One of Us

Very impressive! I would also assume your diet is healthy also? Whilst exercise is important, so is diet :)

#8 cleeshoy, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013