News Press Release: New ticketing and access system at Charlotte Pass for 2021

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
The Blyton Group today announced they have awarded a contract to AXESS AG Austria for the purchase, installation and ongoing support of a new ticketing and access system for Charlotte Pass Snow Resort.
-----------------------

The AXESS system will see the introduction of electronic gates at the base of lifts at the resort and scanner access technology for all Oversnow Transport vehicles.

The new system will also see the introduction of RFID cards, to be known as ‘The Charlotte Pass’ card. Angela Murdoch, General Manager of Charlotte Pass Snow Resort said, “a new website and Online Shop will be launched in the coming months, enabling guests to book Lift Tickets, Oversnow Transport, Snowsports Lessons and Equipment Hire online.

Guests will be able to use The Charlotte Pass RFID card to pre-purchase all their mountain products prior to arriving at Charlotte Pass Snow Resort.”

AXESS AG are based in Salzburg Austria and are a leading supplier of software and access hardware to ski resorts worldwide. With installations in over 53 countries and having produced over 24,000 smart gates and over 285 million smart RFID cards to date, AXESS control systems offer maximum reliability and safety for both guests and operators. Charlotte Pass will be the first Australian resort to use the AXESS system.

Josh Elliott, Chief Operating Officer of the Blyton Group said he was pleased the decision has been made to make the change to AXESS.

“This substantial upgrade of our booking system will make a significant difference to the guest experience, enabling our guests to quickly and easily book their products online.”

The contract for the system was negotiated with the Australian office of AXESS and will be serviced by Australian and European staff.

------------

Attachments

• CPSR - Media Release - New ticketing and access system.pdf
    364.4 KB · Views: 45

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Lifts, grooming, snowmaking, oversnow.... all these improve the skiing experience at CP. Not sure RFID ski passes do, but Blyton has the right to ensure there is no bludging a free lift. And not sure it was that big a problem, having a captive audience.

Oversnow will be fixed when Blyton invests in new vehicles. But I really wish he would look at these rather than mucking around with the Tucker.

IMG_3106.JPG

* Arctic Trucks modified Mercedes 4WD mini buses (suspension lift, oversize snow tires, on the fly tyre pressure adjustment etc....)

Last edited:

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Lifts, grooming, snowmaking, oversnow.... all these improve the skiing experience at CP. Not sure RFID ski passes do, but Blyton has the right to ensure there is no bludging a free lift. And not sure it was that big a problem, having a captive audience.

Oversnow will be fixed when Blyton invests in new vehicles. But I really wish he would look at these rather than mucking around with the Tucker.

IMG_3106.JPG
RFID ticketing opens up a host of associated opportunities for a resort. Yes, revenue protection is an issue at Charlottes but not the biggest. From an operations perspective with RFID cards, a guest could book a lift ticket, over-snow transport, equipment hire, lesson, and lunch and have it all represented on the lift ticket. So no need for the guest to use a credit card in resort. They can also load dollars on the card / lift ticket to use at the resort. So no need to carry a wallet and less waiting in lines for guests. Quicker to the slope.

The resort can gain a better understanding of the guests purchases, skiing data etc so they can better market to their guests and not fill their inbox with useless offers.

Just an FYI. Currently no resort in Australia is utilising the RFID pass to it's full potential. Charlottes once the full system is in place will have greater single system capability than any other Australian resort. Something to ponder.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
So no need to carry a wallet and less waiting in lines for guests. Quicker to the slope...

Still will have to take cash for mid station coffees until they fix the lack of Wifi / EFTPOS there. And waiting in lines has never been a problem at CP.

.....The resort can gain a better understanding of the guests purchases, skiing data etc so they can better market to their guests and not fill their inbox with useless offers.

The CP market is simple, families and tourers. Blyton has done a stellar job in ignoring the former and being oblivious to the latter. Most daytrippers will come once and that is all. They need to be nicer to lodge members as they make up most of the village, buy most of the lift tickets and will spend the money in the bars and shop (when open and when it has something you want to buy).

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Still will have to take cash for mid station coffees until they fix the lack of Wifi / EFTPOS there. And waiting in lines has never been a problem at CP.

The CP market is simple, families and tourers. Blyton has done a stellar job in ignoring the former and being oblivious to the latter. Most daytrippers will come once and that is all. They need to be nicer to lodge members as they make up most of the village, buy most of the lift tickets and will spend the money in the bars and shop (when open and when it has something you want to buy).
Kevin has never been a people person. I hope he has managed to hire one, but it seems maybe not.

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017

here here

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
The RFID should be mandatory in these days of Covid. In the event of an "incident" it allows them to tell who was on which oversnow transport, shared lifts etc, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is partly why, with resorts likely to put up another joint submission with regards to opening and operating conditions this year.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
I managed to sort/book my CP skiing last year relatively painlessly. But was mostly all done by March when I booked accommodation. But lots of grumbling on the book of face by those who tried to arrange stuff later. And remember the mad scramble between when the season was announced as a goer in late June and school holidays in early July. Basically was one lady at the resort office trying to manage a super clunky back office booking system via phone reservations, where every person needed a customised in/out oversnow booking etc.

Should be a big improvement.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014

WiFi is being addressed. Hopefully for this year, if not next but it is on the agenda.

Can't comment on Blytons daytripper and lodge member relations.

Reactions: Chaeron

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
The RFID should be mandatory in these days of Covid. In the event of an "incident" it allows them to tell who was on which oversnow transport, shared lifts etc, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is partly why, with resorts likely to put up another joint submission with regards to opening and operating conditions this year.
CPV has always known who was on oversnow as you have always needed to book.

On lifts??? Really LOL

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Prime Starlink candidate
In their defence, there is no fixing Charlottes connectivity easily. The whole village runs on maybe 20 pair twisted copper laid down from Perisher sometime duing the 70's, each pair modulated to run whatever the max duplex connections is possible.

We had to go to the ombudsmen in 1999 to pressure Telstra to fix the line our snow cam was on just so it was up to the minimum legal requirement of 9600 baud. aka. Fax speed.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
While the cheque book is open they could spend some money on their website, which is awful.

This year’s update has made things worse.

Reactions: nezumi and skifree

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
CPV has always known who was on oversnow as you have always needed to book.

On lifts??? Really LOL

Well it is not really any different to Opal Cards, which contact tracers have used extensively as a tracking tool when there have been outbreaks.

I’m not saying it is actually that helpful, but when the resorts are trying to sell an opening plan to NSW health, it is all part of the proposal, which has to be a good thing.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
In their defence, there is no fixing Charlottes connectivity easily. The whole village runs on maybe 20 pair twisted copper laid down from Perisher sometime duing the 70's, each pair modulated to run whatever the max duplex connections is possible.

We had to go to the ombudsmen in 1999 to pressure Telstra to fix the line our snow cam was on just so it was up to the minimum legal requirement of 9600 baud. aka. Fax speed.

The last few times I have been up there I have noticed that the 4g reception around the area seems to have improved substantially. I used to have no service from the turning circle area, now quite good.

So maybe that is the plan for connectivity.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
The last few times I have been up there I have noticed that the 4g reception around the area seems to have improved substantially. I used to have no service from the turning circle area, now quite good.

So maybe that is the plan for connectivity.

Yep. A proper fix for the village is definitely a Telstra scale infrastructure job. So not surprised the 4G is improving.

Current Satellite doesn’t solve the upload bandwidth and the alternative is rolling new fibre into the village. Microwave link from Perisher would be less expensive but subject to weather degradation more frequently than a regular scenario.

As carveman posted. Strong candidate for Starlink bundle when that rolls out.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Yep. A proper fix for the village is definitely a Telstra scale infrastructure job. So not surprised the 4G is improving.

Weird thing is, I get excellent data on my mobile phone, but no voice. Bandwidth good enough that +0.95 (Mk III) spend half a day giving evidence to a Royal Commission via Zoom without a dropout. :confused:

Reactions: snowgum

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Look this is pretty underwhelming news . I don’t recall any mention of this in the new plan that went with the new lease . I recall more snowmaking and new lift up stillwell . That news really floated my boat and I joined up with our friends lodge as a show of faith . Great news about Selwyn from the Blyton group and I’m happy to lend a hand at cp with lifting up to stillwell . I found this and I reckon if we pass the hat around we can set this up to run from the area that’s the headwater area of Spencer’s creek up to the ridge and in behind the eastern face of Stilwell , a kind of club field NZ idea https://www.towpro-lifts.com/. Another alternate is to relocate the old Poma from Cabramurra to cp

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I'm only new to CP. This will be my15th year, so i really know nothing. o_O

cool Fozzie.

This year will be my first year staying at CP - if Covid behaves! Last year was kyboshed by border-controls, so our group are going for 1 from 2. Let’s hope snow holds for September?

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I think it's best to look at this as a journey.
They're moving from one system to another. Improvements are on the way in both on mountain infrastructure and customer facing systems.
As we all know now, Selwyn is not opening, but for the majority of the off-season that was a big focus for the Blyton group for this season. Now that that's on the back-burner so to speak, from a seasonal perspective, the focus comes back on to CP.
I know for a fact, barring any more pandemics, fires or disasters you will get what you want at CP in the next couple of years.

Reactions: teleroo and kiter
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass