1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Prince West Hotel Shiga Kogen - feedback?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by BigWaveDave, Jun 10, 2019.

1. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

We are narrowing down the accom choices for our trip to Shiga Kogen in Jan 2020 and are looking at Prince West hotel as our preferred option at this stage as they're doing some decently priced packages. Just after some feedback from others who have stayed there as to overall experience, location, facilities, room size/facilities, and overall comfort etc. IS there a guest lounge/chillout area where we can hang out after skiing as this seems to be sadly lacking in most Japanese hotels /lodges? (When will they ever get the concept that a fire/lounge/relaxation area and bar is a good thing in a ski lodge!!??)

I'm aware it's a 10-15 minute walk / short shuttle bus to Ichinose for restaurants/ dinners from Prince West but apart from that just seeking feedback on the overall experience and location on mountain. Thanks to @elSpike who has already provided his report/advice, if anyone else is able to provide their thoughts (positive or negative) it would be great before we commit. Cheers. Dave

#1 BigWaveDave, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

3. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The Prince West is in an ideal location for getting onto the snow.... there are indoor lockers where you store your skis, so you need to walk about 30m to put your skis on, then ski 50m to the lift.... it's ski in ski out. If you get a good package price on breakfast , it should be ok. (otherwise breakfast is around 1600yen each)

If you get a quad room for 4 people, it's tight. The twin/double rooms are also small, so the best option is one twin/double & one quad room for total 4 people, so you can hang out in the quad room and also keep your bags there. Bring a laptop with movies!!
    The place is dead at night. There is one guest lounge/bar area (depending on what they do with it each season), but it's not big. This is why you need the quad room to hang out!!!! ;) Better to walk into Ichinose.
    There's one "sort of" convenience store, but it's more like snacks & drinks.

OTOH, the Naeba Prince Hotel is completely the opposite. There's about 3-4 convenience stores(they have fruit, milk, etc unlike the Shiga Kogen Prince West), lots of restaurants (plus you can walk into the village where there's a small supermarket, restaurants. You can buy breakfast cereals in the village)

skiflat likes this.
  4. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

Thanks @Sandy I think we are now set on Shiga as a ski destination (this is predominantly a ski trip after all, not so much a sightseeing trip which we did last time) but just trying to convince myself that the accomodation/facilities will be up to scratch. Appreciate your feedback as always, I thought there may have been a few on the forums that had styed there so was just after some first hand reports as the reviews on tripadvisor etc are very mixed. Cheers Dave

5. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I've spent perhaps a total of 30 days skiing at Shiga Kogen, staying in various places. The Prince is convenient, and deals without meals can be very cheap.
    I do an early morning loop out of the Prince West, before the others in my group are ready.... 8.25am at the chair.... Chair, gondola, and a then fast 2.5km run that takes me less than 3 min!!!! :)
    It's a great location, but I wish they'd put more facilities in there.

6. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident Ski Pass: Gold

Some bigger rooms at Okushigakogen Hotel if you get in early, nice lounge area for apres.

skivet likes this.
  7. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Snow bird sports bar is nice joint for arvo beers and snacks, after the 5th day I can no longer eat from that buffet day/night. Gets very monotonous. Location for skiing is great and using the black cat post service for gear was a god send (it’s inside the hotel) merch store inside runs backcountry tours also
    Prince east has a lardy dar restaurant which is great for one night $$$

8. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Plenty of places in Ichinose worth looking at / staying at.
    I don't know what your preferences are around bedding / bathing, budget, etc. but the large Japanese Rooms with futon beds provide loads of space. Most have a wash basin & toilet with shared bathrooms.
    Ichinose gives you dining options close by on foot.
    Have a look at these to help you compare.
    Hotel Khuls.
    Hotel Ichinose.
    Hotel Villa Ichinose.
    Chalet Shiga.

9. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We stayed at Shiga Grand, very comfortable and big room, toilet and shower/very small bath.. We chose to eat out or buy from a good small store 3 min walk. A short walk to lifts but skied home to the front door. Restaurants close by. Big Onsen large drying room. We stayed on the 3rd floor but the hotel has a lift. Will stay again..

10. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

Shiga grand also has a Taco shop in the lobby now. They were weird tacos and quesadillas, but still delicious.

mannyk likes this.
  11. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

We stayed at Prince West last February.
    We booked early and got a great price for 2 in a family room. It’s not luxury but good and clean.
    The buffet breakfast and dinners were more than filling, not gourmet but nice.
    There is a lounge for chilling out on the ground floor. This is directly opposite the hotel shop where you can toddle across the hallway to buy alcohol and nibblies to eat.
    We had complimentary ski lockers.
    It’s ski in - ski out, with the longest and in our opinions best runs out the back door and at the adjacent Okushigakogen.
    It’s a very easy walk into Ichinose.
    Shiga is a big interlinked resort but very easy to ski from one end to the other and back in a day.
    We hardly used the free shuttle buses at all and just skied everywhere but some seemed to use them daily and just lap a few lifts each day.
    It’s an easy day trip to the Snow Monkey Park.
    There is a Black Cat counter on the ground floor which we used to forward our skis to Haneda airport at $28 per pair whilst we had a few days in Tokyo at the end of our trip. So easy.
    We went to ski and relax not party.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  12. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

You party animal ;)

13. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

I stayed there years ago with my son and a couple of other guys my age and his son. The group makeup meant we had our separate rooms (e.g. me and son in a twin room) and therefore not squished. We did the DBB package which worked for us as we could continue out in the lounge area after dinner as a convenient sized group to share a few bottles of wine we would buy from the store in the lobby. It was not so much a convenience store but a typical hotel lobby shop but did sell alcohol. It closed at 7PM IIRC so we bought the wine as we went into the dining room for dinner. Might still be the same. The food was buffet style with quite reasonable western and Japanese sections, rather large as it had been the dining hall when the place had been built to accommodate participants in the Winter Olympics in 1998.

Best feature was the onsen, well the one for males anyway. Great setup with the actual pool being outside but under cover.

14. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

I can’t comment on the Prince West, @BigWaveDave, but we enjoyed Shiga Kogen tremendously in January of this year (and caught up with @elSpike while he was there with his family). My trip report (in the Japan threads) outlines some of the highlights for me, including favourite runs, restaurants, things to watch out for ... and good sake ;) . As others have said, not much to do of an evening (although Chalet Shiga where we stayed does have a good bar downstairs with pretty decent food too), but we enjoyed the skiing! My teenage daughter preferred Nozawa, I have to say.

elSpike likes this.
  15. BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave Hard Yards

Thanks everyone for your feedback, looks like we’ve managed to book in at Chalet Shiga which was our preferred option. Cant wait!

Kimski, Lady Penelope, skivet and 2 others like this.
  16. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

We are there too this season. You’ll love it.