1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Private Nanny / Ski Instructor For 3.5 year old - Perisher in August

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by RebelCav, Jun 29, 2020.

1. RebelCav

RebelCav First Runs

I’m looking for a private Nanny/ski instructor for 5 days 3-4 hours a day to help my 3.5 year old to ski and just have some general fun on the slopes seeing as the ski school and daycare program is not running this season and we would still love to ski!

We arrive 11 August and staying at Perisher Valley Hotel, ideal would be morning time on the slopes with her :)

2. Snowy Joe

Snowy Joe First Runs

Sorry Rebel, all lessons have to be booked through Ski School offices and anyone even attempting to teach someone on the hill or look after a child for profit other than Perisher staff or Perisher endorsed workers risks police action. It's kinda like taking your own chef to a restaurant.

3. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

More akin to a personal trainer in a public park. Perisher have leasehold over the lift lines and can set the conditions of use on those, but as far as use of the land itself....

I have twice seen people claiming that police action would be involved. What's the rationale here? Does this apply to baby-sitting as well?

Jonathan_P and coolair like this.
  4. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Lessons you will need to book private lessons. I doubt outside instructors are allowed and more than likely will result in lift passes being suspended. But I could be wrong.

As for Babysitting maybe try these guys never used them however seen them around in resort when social distancing was not an issue. My wife last year had a chat to the worker and parents last year.

https://www.snowymountainsbabysitting.com.au/
    One last thing if you do book a private lesson for your 3.5 year old at least one parent will need to present for anyone under 6. At least that’s what I was told as my daughter is booked on a number of lessons this season.

nezumi likes this.
  5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I believe Perisher also have something called the franchise area, an agreement separate to the leases that covers the whole area and gives them exclusive rights for commercial activity. A couple of decades ago some people were prevented from holding XC lessons on the trails.

6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

The ski resort area in Australia is a bit unique in that you can’t run commercial business on the hill without the permission of the ski resort.

And professional ski/board instruction stands out like tits on a bull. Imma getting prepared for taps on the shoulder already for when I’m riding with friends. I was closely watched last season before I’d even done the training/exams. This season I guarantee I’ll be asked to ‘pls explain’.

However if someone had a full time Nanny for their child that they bring to the snow with them who can also ski and is teaching the kid to ski while they babysit, not sure if they can do much about that.

Neither can much be done about the family bringing their sons mate with them and paying for his lift pass in exchange for him using his newly acquired instructor skills to teach his mates Dad.

And given the reduced class options I expect especially during school holidays will be booked out anyway, so they may well turn more of a blind eye than normal seasons. It’d also be a safer coronavirus environment if someone from the family group, or travel group was teaching rather than introducing an extra close contact. So this year may be a year you can get away with it. I wouldn’t count on it as a regular thing though. And really we should be supporting our snowsports instruction industry’s in this country if it’s at all possible. These are people who probably missed at least a months work in March maybe also April, and have likely started a month late this Aussie Winter.

7. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

That is what is meant to happen. If your child falls over and cannot get up the instructors are not allowed to help them.

By the way if you want a lesson you can book on the day up the mountain. Just do it as far in advance as possible. Even though all lessons are meant to be booked well in advance, there are lots of instructors turning up as rostered by Perisher to find there is no-one to instruct. As we have al realised there are a few glitches in their system.

8. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So if my grand daughter bought me a hot chocolate in return for me instructing her on how to ski at Pretty Valley then I could be busted and pass taken ? I mean I would have received payment for instruction while on the Perisher hills. Gee there must be thousands of us who could potentially be in trouble because of this.

Nightskywatcher and skifree like this.
  9. skinavy

skinavy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think a parent or grandparent giving one on one tips to their child/grandchild is really an issue. Someone doing it for a stranger and getting slipped some cash would be.

Chaeron, Jonathan_P and LMB like this.
  10. LMB

Your grand daughter bought you a hot chocolate, and you taught her how to ski - the two things are unrelated. No payment involved.

To be honest, they’re not going after you and me. They’re going after the people trying to run a private business on the mountain, cashies that undercut the offical business and yet aren’t covered by the insurances and indemnities.

11. skinavy

Nor is there any guarantees that someone doing on the sly lessons is even qualified or had a working with children check.

Chaeron, LMB and Jonathan_P like this.
  12. coolair

coolair One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

20 years with2 young daughters, just took their babysitter with us on holidays, plenty out ther do it as well
    Juust have to part with the $$$$$.

Apresski likes this.
  13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I was once told off for teaching beginner friends. I have never been an instructor nor done any instructor training.

14. LMB

Ya must’ve looked like you had a clue then Curra :p

Bottom line.
    Don’t be that guy - don’t run covert business.
    If you want to teach for money, get hired by a ski school.

currawong, Chaeron and Jonathan_P like this.
  15. skinavy

I'll admit that I prefer the Austrian model of multiple ski schools in competition and thus different schools offer differing products. However at least in Austria they have a very professional and standardised instructor training process that supports that.

CarveMan, nezumi, currawong and 4 others like this.
  16. LMB

Agree.

Competition is good.
    But even with it you find less than stellar instructors here and there.
    Nature of the beast.

nezumi and Ozgirl like this.
  17. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Very strict this year .
    Programs that have run before from pro style coaches for snowboarding have been banned,

Jonathan_P likes this.
  18. Jellybeans

Jellybeans not woke enough Ski Pass: Gold

is perisher doing squads?

19. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

The Perisher lease covers lift lines and building footprints. The franchise area which allows them to offer ski resort services is the area defined in the Alpine Resorts SEPP. Perisher hasn't had a lease or franchisee over the Nordic area since the combined lease was negotiated in 2008.

The area outside the lease is Kosciuszko National Park. To operate a commercial business in a NSW national Park you need a ECOpass. KNP will not give you an ECOpass for the Perisher Franchise area. To operate in a NSW Park without an ECOpass is a breech of the NPWS Act.

Since it's illegal to offer black lessons that means no insurance coverage of any kind if you or your kids get hurt.

20. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I was only being silly .............. my grand daughter would buy me a hot chocolate anyway.

Ozgirl, Jonathan_P and skifree like this.
  21. skichanger

I know moguls starts ... sometime. Forgotten the dates.

But there was no guarantee of getting in. Last year they had 60 athletes. This year they don’t have enough coaches for that many.

22. currawong

it was a very basic snow plough lesson

Jonathan_P and LMB like this.
  23. currawong

but does that cover baby sitting in lodges?

24. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

If you do business in a NSW National Park you need to give the government a cut (ECOpass) unless you have an exception (incorporated not for profit, ect...).

currawong likes this.
  25. GlendaN

GlendaN One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

As above it's not permitted and in case of major injury there would be no public risk insurance. Perhaps by August you will be able to access Perisher lessons or babysitting in PVH. We used to take my mother who didn't ski and shout her a holiday in return for babysitting in the lodge. Worked well for us until children were old enough for ski school.

LMB likes this.
  26. skichanger

But reality is there are lots of people who do babysitting and other minor jobs that do not have an ECOpass. Imagine some teenager who is babysitting for a few bucks even knowing they are meant to do that.

27. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

I have no opinion either way about paying someone to teach your child, provided it is from an accredited instructor. You don't want some bozo, who reckons they can ski, teach you or your child poor or incorrect technique, irrespective of level being taught.

However, if I was the one being paid, then I would be more concerned about indemnifying myself in the case of an accident both to myself and to the student. It's all fun and games until someone breaks a leg and starts litigation.

Spence, cold wombat, Ozgirl and 2 others like this.
  28. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Re nanny service - try the resort seasonal facebook group. Often a few people on there looking for some spare cash and have working with kids experience.

kids get a free lift pass so maybe just take the little one out with you for a few hours then get manny to take Her home

Ozgirl likes this.
  29. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah but the total weekend offering was 100 spots I believe. That is across Alpine Skiing, Boards, and the soft stuff like Moguls.

Weekday training was unlimited spots.

They are being a little creative with start times etc.

30. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Do you have a spare bed in your accommodation? Another option is to take a nanny up with you. She/he could take your child out in the mornings, free ski in the afternoons and babysit in the evenings.

nezumi and Nidecker like this.