Proposed Avalanche Gully Lift

Hotham Yetti

First Runs
Aug 20, 2008
NSW
I know its probably a really old idea, but i noticed that on one of the old hotham trail maps there is an extra proposed lift (the "Avalanche Gully Lift") near the summit, and i was just wondering what ever happened to that idea. Sorry if there has been a thread on this before.

Here's the map:

Hotham-Trail-Map.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
I got that map from somewhere (he/she has linked it from Trapdoor's website) ... I cant remember where nor when, but I can look it up when i get home, but it was not that long ago ...

Either way the "proposed" Avalanch Gully lift at Hotham is still a source of great amusement on mountain
wink.gif

Hotham Yetti

First Runs
Aug 20, 2008
NSW
Na, sorry i was searchin the net and i found it.
frown.gif

Oops a bit late.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Well there have been no lifts built at Hotham in the last 12 years (shame on them!), so it has to be 1997 or after.

That rising sun logo dates the map, they' ve been using James Neuhuys maps for a while now.

I'd guess the map dates from about the turn of the century.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
The lift is actually there if you look for it....

But they changed the name from "Avalanche Gully chair", to "Burning Quad chair".
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
It was slow, because it was only one person at a time!!!! And it serviced maybe only half the terrain serviced by the Heavenly chair.

iGlenn

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2007
trappers said:
Either way the "proposed" Avalanch Gully lift at Hotham is still a source of great amusement on mountain
wink.gif

I've often longingly looked into avalanch gully on the way up the summit wondering why they haven't put a lift in there?

Is there more to the story as to why it still hasn't been built? Lack of funds would seem the obvious reason.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dossa5

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 2, 2009
Ovens Valley N.E Vico
Can you imagine the mayhem if they lifted that gully close to the top of the summit chair. All the beginners would end up down there just because, why not.
it would be a circus for Ski Patrol.

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
The idea was alive, even if not really seeming likely any time soon for some years - touted as the next new thing after The Orchard - finally canned when New Hotham came along with interests much more real estate than in developing the ski fields.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
The only people who could ski the area without killing themselves would be advanced skiers, who make up a very small % of the overall skiers market.

In other words, it isn't worth the money.

Lifting Gotcha/Mary's etc was a way to open the Orchard and thus broaden the appeal of the resort.

A shame, as there would be lots of great skiing in Avalance Gully. You'd have to ensure entry through only a selected gates to stop people skiing off the cliffs.

Hotham Yetti

First Runs
Aug 20, 2008
NSW
PG said:
The only people who could ski the area without killing themselves would be advanced skiers, who make up a very small % of the overall skiers market.

good point PG. as you said, still would've been noice!

However, with Australian snow, and the steep gradient of the terrain, id imagine it wouldnt be open very often. correct me if im wrong.

Luken

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Belgrave South, 230m ASL
www.p1technology.com.au
Hotham Yetti said:
PG said:

good point PG. as you said, still would've been noice!

However, with Australian snow, and the steep gradient of the terrain, id imagine it wouldnt be open very often. correct me if im wrong.

It actually holds snow very well Avalanche Gully. Faces SW? so doesn't get much sun, and the main prevailing winds ikn big storms are from the W NW at Hotham, so the snow that blows off the summit ends up down there + it is high altitude.

So it makes sense in lots of ways, but as has been said, too many plebs, too close by.

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
I think they actually went a long way towards installing it. It's my understanding that permits were granted, but it was canned by management. One theory I heard was that it would be closed a lot due to the lift being perpendicular to the prevailing winds.

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
Stop complaining people, go to the gym or take up some swimming or running, build up your legs and earn those turns.

That's the beauty is because it's not lifted, it leaves some great terrain for those who are prepared to put in some effort. The idea to lift everything is wrong, some of the good points about some big french resorts is that the lifts aren't 'perfectly' placed and your equire a bit of exercise to get to the really good stuff, makes it worth more and means less people go there.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
We are not in a big French resort, and all Aussies are fat and lazy
biggrin.gif

sno cowboy

First Runs
Jul 26, 2007
Kilmore, Victoria
it was canned because of the cross winds that would affect it. it always has great snow at the top and with a little snowmaking at the bottom it would be a great place to ski but they decided the lift would spend more time on wind hold than moving skiers. disappointing, but, talking from experience, its awesome skiing after a dump in august. the climb back up is hard work
thumbsup.gif

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Well if a chairlift being on wind hold was going to be an issue, why can't they put in a drag lift instead?
It would certainly be a lot cheaper, both to build and maintain!
No new lifts at Hotham for a dozen years and none projected anytime soon!

I don't care if they put a lift on Golden Point, Avalanche Gully or anywhere else...
I don't care if it's a detachable six pack, a T-bar or even a nutcracker...
I just want a new lift at Hotham.
tantrum.gif

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
Down the guts of the Australia Drift gully is not that steep - solid intermediate really. There is a small waterfall to negotiate however, depending on where the lift station was placed. The sides of the sides of the valley are solid black - but not scary stuff for an advanced skier unless icy. The extreme stuff is in a different drainage, meeting this valley below a second waterfall.

Suits me to climb out.

Mr Bean

One of Us
Jun 19, 2003
NE Melbourne
Visit site
I'm with you Snorkler. Avalanche Gully is one of the last areas I can enjoy great powder without it being cut up with traverse tracks. Nothing like a last run, followed by a stiff hike out at 4:45, then off to the pub for a beer.

Mary's Slide (and that area) was another great, steep place to enjoy, until the riff-raff arrived....
tongue.gif

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Graeme said:
Down the guts of the Australia Drift gully is not that steep - solid intermediate really. There is a small waterfall to negotiate however, depending on where the lift station was placed. The sides of the sides of the valley are solid black - but not scary stuff for an advanced skier unless icy. The extreme stuff is in a different drainage, meeting this valley below a second waterfall.

Suits me to climb out.

I'll have to check that out, I think I've only done 'down the guts' and stopped just after the first waterfall. I assume the extreme stuff you speak of is the terrain skiers right of 'down the guts'.

I couldn't figure out where they'd put the base of the lift, if it is just above the waterfall then that is only 1 moderately sized bowl beyond the base of Australia Drift. And that doesn't really add much to the resort given there is already lots of lifted steep terrain.

Leave it as is, if anything it will ruin it for the Australia Drift cruisers who enjoy the area for what it is now.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass