1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Life Proposed Utah / SW Colorado

Discussion in 'United States' started by ocker, Aug 7, 2017.

1. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

I am in the final stages of planning a 4 week (22 days skiing) trip to Utah, staying in Midvale Salt Lake with bus to Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude then fly down to Grand Junction for a 14 day road trip the majority of days which will be freeriding. I am skiing with friends in Utah but the SW Colorado road trip will be solo unless I can find someone else interested. The plan is

Date Day Ski Days Stay Ski Location

09/02/2018 Fri Salt Lake Arrive
    10/02/2018 Sat 1 Salt Lake Alta, Bird etc SkiCity superpass
    11/02/2018 Sun 2 Salt Lake Alta, Bird etc SkiCity superpass
    12/02/2018 Mon 3 Salt Lake Alta, Bird etc SkiCity superpass
    13/02/2018 Tue 4 Salt Lake Alta, Bird etc SkiCity superpass
    14/02/2018 Wed 5 Salt Lake Alta, Bird etc SkiCity superpass
    15/02/2018 Thu 6 Salt Lake Alta, Bird etc SkiCity superpass
    16/02/2018 Fri 7 Salt Lake Alta, Bird etc SkiCity superpass
    17/02/2018 Sat 8 Salt Lake Alta, Bird etc SkiCity superpass
    18/02/2018 Sun Telluride Transfer flight
    19/02/2018 Mon 1 Telluride Telluride
    20/02/2018 Tue 2 Telluride Telluride
    21/02/2018 Wed 3 Telluride Telluride
    22/02/2018 Thu 4 Silverton Telluride
    23/02/2018 Fri 5 Silverton Silverton Resort
    24/02/2018 Sat 6 Silverton Silverton Resort
    25/02/2018 Sun 7 Silverton Silverton Cat
    26/02/2018 Mon 8 Silverton Silverton Cat
    27/02/2018 Tue 9 Durango Silverton Cat
    28/02/2018 Wed 10 Durango Purgatory cat or AT
    01/03/2018 Thu 11 Durango Purgatory cat or AT
    02/03/2018 Fri 12 Pagosa Springs Purgatory cat or AT
    03/03/2018 Sat 13 Pagosa Springs Wolf Creek
    04/03/2018 Sun 14 Pagosa Springs Wolf Creek
    05/03/2018 Mon Albuquerque
    06/03/2018 Tue In Air
    07/03/2018 Wed Melbourne

Total 26 22
    Any suggestions or interest?

2. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

No sightseeing?

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Don't use the bus in SLC, get a car.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  4. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Car Should be pretty cheap and you can leave gear in it too.

Sightseeing: check out Utah jazz if they are playing when you're in town.

5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I don't know about the cat skiing, and have never been to Purgatory, but from what I hear it will seem a bit bland after SLC and Telluride. Maybe go there first?

6. PeterM

PeterM Hard Yards

Why is that, do the buses not operate frequently, does it take ages to get up the hill?

7. CarveMan

All of the above. Plus there's nothing to do in Midvale so you would be able to drive around in the evenings.

8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Are you hiring a car to get around that corner of Colorado? I doubt that there are convenient shuttles. Apart from the convenience of a car in SLC, the drive down to Telluride is scenic - Arches NP etc. A surprising number of bean fields in Colorado.

9. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Off piste in SW Colorado solo !! I'd be thinking that plan through very carefully.

I've been to Purgatory !...well I have skied Durango Mountain Resort for a half day. I much preferred Crested Butte, and travelling solo you've got the added advantage of staying in possibly the best hostel in Colorado, so with a good chance of boarding with other people.

10. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

What why sightsee when you could be skiing. Year before last got sick in Salt Lake City so I had a couple of days enforced sightseeing. Also Had some half days sightseeing on previous trips.

11. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

I have had 3 previous trips using the ski bus from Midvale. I like the bus. The bus times are good and the bus is free with the Ski City Super Pass.

12. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

The buses and Trax light rail are free with the Super pass. After a full days skiing these days just want to have dinner, catch up on any urgent messages and hit the sack. When I started skiing 50 years ago could hit the bars until 2 am and be skiing on the first lift but not any more.

13. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

The need to hire a car is what has held me back from doing a solo trip in SW Colorado up to now. But decided you cannot take it with you, and tough it out and drive the million dollar highway alone. Fly from SLC to Grand Junction and use the car down to Wolf Creek and fly out of Albuquerque. I found a car deal AUD 700 for 16 days.By the evening when I went to book it was gone and price had doubled.

14. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

That is why I am only doing 2 days cat skiing at Purgatory, no on piste. I think there will be plenty of excitement and challenging skiing Silverton and the San Juan mountains off piste. Important to go to Utah first to acclimatise for the altitude in the San Juan.

15. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

I am only travelling solo. There is no Piste at Silverton Mountain resort. Only one chair. For the lift skiing you must carry avalanche gear and be in a guided group and a max of 80 skiers on the mountain any one day. Only open 4 days per week.The cat skiing is guided at Silverton and Purgatory. Alpine touring I will be going with a guide. Purgatory and Durango mountain are the same place..In SW Colorado only the 4 days at Telluride that I will not be with a guide.

Summit likes this.
  16. CarveMan

Fair enough. But the main reason I would still want a car is to get up before the avalanche closures on big powder days - ie pre-6am.

17. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not talking about sightseeing in SLC. I'm talking about driving from SLC to southern Colorado via Canyonlands /Dead Horse Point and Arches NP. Lots of people would bend their schedule to see these places, sounds like you won't!

18. Budgiesmuggler

There is the park city powder cats too in Utah if that's of interest.

19. Summit

Summit Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I recommend staying in historic Telluride rather than the soulless Mountain Village.

20. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Yes I have that and maybe Jackson Hole penciled in to include in the 2020 trip itinerary. Hokkaido is scheduled for 2019.

21. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

I have already booked a bed sit in Telluride town that I can walk to the lifts from.

Summit likes this.
  22. Budgiesmuggler

PCPC was ok... we had good weather in the morning so we hit the bowls but weather closed in and we moved to shorter low angle terrain. Also a variety of abilities in the cat.

23. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I second this. Just a day and night at Moab is enough to get a taste of the area. Wonderful scenery.
    Have dinner at the Spoke.

24. sli1

sli1 One of Us

I'm pretty far bent to the ski end of the ski vs look around spectrum but I wholeheartedly support this - the drive from SLC to southern Colarado via this route is the way to go. Time it for the weekend and after several successive days of skiing when your quads are fried so that further skiing would be useless anyway.

25. CarveMan

Thirding this. Southern Utah is spectacular.

26. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Noticed you are skiing at Telluride Feb. 19-20. I'll be there with a few friends, skiing Feb. 18-20. Most of us are over 60. The oldest skis double-blacks at Taos. He lives in Albuquerque. The rest of us fly to ski at big mountains and are happy on slightly less intense ungroomed terrain. We are doing a Ski Week at Taos before heading to Telluride. So will be ready to go exploring since it's our first time going there. The MCP does make it easier to plan a ski safari.

Be happy to meet up at Telluride for a few runs or dinner to hear some stories of your travels. We are staying in town.

Alta happens to be my favorite place when I fly to Utah.

27. sli1

sli1 One of Us

Marz, what week are you doing the Taos ski week? We did it last year for the first time and loved it. We are in the US for 3 weeks from Jan 25 to Feb 15 to notionally do a road trip from Taos to SLC although will wait to see how the snow pans out for Taos before committing to a ski week.

28. MarzNC

My friends and I will be doing the Ski Week that starts Feb 11. Flying into ABQ on Feb 9. It's certainly nice that no reservations are needed for a Ski Week. That confused me a lot when I was planning our first trip to Taos last year. But after seeing how TSV works in terms of ski school and the number of very experienced instructors they have on staff, it makes sense.

Where did you stay for TSV?

29. sli1

sli1 One of Us

We stayed in town at the Sagebrush Inn. I just prefer staying in town to ski resorts. Especially Taos. Thinking of staying in one of the earthships this time. What week did you do last season? We were Jan 29. We will wait until very close to the date this year (as we did last year) depending on snow, but if it happens we will be in one of the weeks immediately prior to yours. I scored a great group last year, my wife's experience wasn't quite as good but I love the morning lessons each day set-up of ski week and we love Taos town and ski hill

MarzNC likes this.
  30. MarzNC

Our ski days at TSV were Feb. 3-10, 2017. The Ski Week started on Feb. 5.

Perhaps suggest your wife take a look at this trip report by my friend. She wasn't in the correct group at all the first day. Once she changed on Monday, she was not only very happy with the instructor, she felt compatible with everyone in the group.

http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/taos-ski-week-2017.21545/

I've considered staying in town. Could get a small timeshare unit. But got spoiled only having to drive a mile first thing in the morning. One friend who was doing the Ski Week is not a morning person. So being closer was better. My crew have stayed 30-45 min from a ski resort or slope side before, so we know the difference first hand.

Met a man who stays in Taos for a month. He takes the bus up in the morning in his ski boots. Then makes sure he gets a bus back down in the afternoon. He was in his 80s. His former ski buddies don't ski any more. I was skiing solo that afternoon so we skied together for a bit after chatting on a lift ride. Had a blast trying to keep up with him on groomers for a few runs. He likes carving for speed and doesn't do bumps. :)

31. sli1

sli1 One of Us

That link is an interesting read and mirrors my wife's experience somewhat. As we got off the chair prior to the ski off they asked "are you an aggressive or non aggressive skier?" She said non aggressive based on using myself as the yardstick but in reality she was much more aggressive than those in her day 1 group. She made the mistake of staying in that first group for two days. For others reading this, changing groups is easy and no stress.

Taos town is one of the cooler places to stay when it comes to ski holidays. Adobe architecture, the Rio grande, Taos Pueblo, heaps of restaraunts, earthships and its not a ski town which is nice. Your story about the chap in his 80s is so Taos. My wife's instructor was 82!! (Max), Jean Mayer is about the same age and I had Doug late 50s 60ish? who took the top group. Toas has some super steep lines and all these guys are still ripping around and have been there forever. Must be the high altitude keeping them young!

MarzNC likes this.
  32. MarzNC

My friends and I had a chance to listen to Jean Mayer last winter. TSV was doing "chats" on weekend afternoons in the Welcome Center. We happened to be there when the invited speaker was Jean. Great fun! He mostly talked about a few basics that make skiing easier. What I remember most was the idea of looking where you want to go next, without worrying about where your skis are pointed, meaning looking DOWN the hill even when there are steep bumps and your skis are pointed across the fall line.

33. sli1

sli1 One of Us

Sound advice!

34. MarzNC

Jean did more than talk that afternoon. A few times he asked everyone to stand up and stand in a certain position to feel what he was talking about. Teased a couple of long time students of his who were sitting in comfy chairs in the front row. The men looked to be in their 70s at least. The small room was packed to capacity. Perhaps a little more than half were local season pass holders. My friends and I were told about the event when we set up our MCP in the room a day before. I think it started at 4pm, so essentially shortly after people were done skiing for the day.

35. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Hi Marz,
    Yes I will be skiing at Telluride Feb 19, 20 , 21 & 22. I have a Mountain Collective season pass for next year. Delighted to meet up with you in Telluride. Met up with some guys from Rhode Island in Salt Lake many seasons ago and now go back to ski with them about every second year in Utah. I was skiing at Falls Creek up to Sept 20 and come back to Melbourne from Mount Beauty on Sept 21 and flew out to Europe on Sept 22 for three and a half weeks walking. Will contact you about arrangements when I get back from Europe.

MarzNC likes this.