PSA: Don't stuff around if you want gear this year

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
As you can imagine this storm has triggered a bit of a frenzy. I have lost count of the skis I have mounted this week, I literally blew up a drill yesterday, and things are starting to disappear. Reps that have dropped in have said it's the same deal at all the other shops they have been visiting.

This is compounded by pretty low supply in the country caused by Covid-related supply chain issues and a general lack of industry confidence and funding after a tough couple of years. And this is further compounded by still insane air-freight rates, often suppliers will fly in supplies during a bumper winter, they take the hit on their margin just to keep the stores stocked but that is no longer feasible with the current costs.

We have already logged on to our supplier portals to re-stock and it's looking pretty bare. Fortunately we took the risk and ordered for a full winter but other shops went a bit light on and have cleaned out the suppliers since this snow fell.

So if you're been eyeing something off, pull the trigger or you might be waiting another year.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I’m good! I bought too many skis the last couple of years with too much time to think, and passing low points being relieved by a ski purchase or two…or more!! So as the season progresses I’ll likely be selling one or two barely used pairs of skis - at least I’ll be selling into a sellers market.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
As you can imagine this storm has triggered a bit of a frenzy. I have lost count of the skis I have mounted this week, I literally blew up a drill yesterday, and things are starting to disappear. Reps that have dropped in have said it's the same deal at all the other shops they have been visiting.

This is compounded by pretty low supply in the country caused by Covid-related supply chain issues and a general lack of industry confidence and funding after a tough couple of years. And this is further compounded by still insane air-freight rates, often suppliers will fly in supplies during a bumper winter, they take the hit on their margin just to keep the stores stocked but that is no longer feasible with the current costs.

We have already logged on to our supplier portals to re-stock and it's looking pretty bare. Fortunately we took the risk and ordered for a full winter but other shops went a bit light on and have cleaned out the suppliers since this snow fell.

So if you're been eyeing something off, pull the trigger or you might be waiting another year.
I've still got all my unused shit from last year LOL

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Dare I mention the missing elephant from the room ?

Bugger it, why not...

1654665882086.png

:out:

Pete Holden

One of Us
Aug 18, 2019
I've still got all my unused shit from last year LOL

Carve Man posted the same buy quick! post last year and then the lockdowns happened.

If I recall the 2021 pre-lockdown sentiment correctly, it was a combination of the best snowfalls at the start of the season (compared to the dry season in 2020) coupled with rumblings of supply chain issues restricting the availability of certain products that prompted punters to stock up early.

Reactions: Marty McSly

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Carve Man posted the same buy quick! post last year and then the lockdowns happened.

If I recall the 2021 pre-lockdown sentiment correctly, it was a combination of the best snowfalls at the start of the season (compared to the dry season in 2020) coupled with rumblings of supply chain issues restricting the availability of certain products that prompted punters to stock up early.
Yeah, the message should be getting through now as he keeps repeating it, when the snow falls, everyone rushes to buy gear so if you've got your eye on something, don't wait.

ski

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2011
Oh Cr*p - we have to buy skis for my daughter - she last skied in Jan 2020 when she was a little 13 year old - now she's a 16 year old tall young lady that needs proper adult skis. We're in Brisbane and coming to the snow in August - will there be anything left on the shelves?!

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Oh Cr*p - we have to buy skis for my daughter - she last skied in Jan 2020 when she was a little 13 year old - now she's a 16 year old tall young lady that needs proper adult skis. We're in Brisbane and coming to the snow in August - will there be anything left on the shelves?!
Aussieskier has a good online website and *free delivery

*I think

Pete Holden

One of Us
Aug 18, 2019
Invest in ski locks. Or bolt cutter.

Reactions: WhitePowder
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Well we said that about World War Three and look how close to that we are.
Never say "Never"

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
I have lost count of the skis I have mounted this week, I literally blew up a drill yesterday, and things are starting to disappear.

I'm just pleased to hear you're having a good early season. :) I got all my kit way back in 2020 so won't need to upgrade much (at all) this year. Just looking at Burf's fittings... booked out until the 16th! That's a good sign.

Ski Expo Jindy is on this W/E FWIW people.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
That's great news, he's a fantastic bloke.

Indeed, and new location - I hope it works it out well for him! It actually is a more convenient location too - if I was getting new boots and getting them from him I'd probably get the Skitube addon so I have a fast way to get there for adjustments (which my feet will require).

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
Huh. Makes me think I need to tell hubby to move all the crap out of the garage so I can get to the kids’ barely used skis that they are now too tall for so I can find them a new home. I need to get to mine and hubby’s skis to get them waxed and tuned for our upcoming trip anyway.

Also, if anyone is on the hunt for 140cm skis, I have two pairs. Technically, one is a girls pair, but my older son likes purple, so he used them quite happily. I never told him they were girls skis, so he never complained.

Pete Holden

One of Us
Aug 18, 2019
Lockdowns FOR COVID will never, ever happen again...........................
This year's lockdowns are interest rates rise(s) and inflation. You can see it in the mountain. There's less traffic than what was predicted from Sydneysiders' SDS . Accommodation can still be had for July and August and I think more cancellations from belt tightening will depress prices a little bit. Sure the affluent will still have their 2 week to month long on snow holiday. But the family from Penrith who goes for a long weekend once a year will look at their mortgage payments for the forseeable and decide this year might not be the time to go skiing.

WhitePowder

Early Days
May 5, 2022
This year's lockdowns are interest rates rise(s) and inflation. You can see it in the mountain. There's less traffic than what was predicted from Sydneysiders' SDS . Accommodation can still be had for July and August and I think more cancellations from belt tightening will depress prices a little bit. Sure the affluent will still have their 2 week to month long on snow holiday. But the family from Penrith who goes for a long weekend once a year will look at their mortgage payments for the forseeable and decide this year might not be the time to go skiing.
Really? School holiday period is still packed when I last checked 3 weeks ago. But absolutely true with inflated fuel/food prices and a hint of going up to 11% for Australia by the Reserve, it won’t be pretty whether we hit 11% or not. A lot of families will need to unwind their mortgage position too.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Really? School holiday period is still packed when I last checked 3 weeks ago. But absolutely true with inflated fuel/food prices and a hint of going up to 11% for Australia by the Reserve, it won’t be pretty whether we hit 11% or not. A lot of families will need to unwind their mortgage position too.

Rang a rental shop on the hill yesterday, he said it feels like mid-August & he's already exhausted.

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Yeah I dunno. I've seen the odd cancellation, but they happen for various reasons. If you look hard enough you can always find something vacant for July or August. It just won't necessarily be cheap, or nice.

Another example, last week I searched winter leases in Jindabyne, and got 4 results. Pretty much the same as this time in 2018. 2 were unfurnished, and one carried a disclaimer that the furniture in the pics may not be the actual furniture for the lease. I'd guess that these 3 were renovations that had gone over time and hadn't been ready to let by QBW.

Next year, however, may tell a different story...

Reactions: Annabuzzy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass