Public buses to Solden

Discussion in 'Europe' started by asammut_au, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

Hey all,

I am making my way from Munich airport for a trip to Solden at the end of January next year. I am trying to find info about the public bus from Otzal train station to Solden.

I have managed to find the vtt website, which i believe operates the bus, but there is no info up yet for timetables during the winter. Unfortunately i can't seem to find an english version of the vtt site and google translate is proving difficult. Does anyone happen to know how often the bus runs during the winter season? Does the bus run more often then the current schedule for October, which seems to vary between 30 - 90 minutes between services?

vtt timetable:
    http://www.vvt.at/page.cfm?vpath=fa...=60164766:$EF&i=Sölden (Tirol), Giggijochbahn

There also seems to be a flixbus option and private transfers. I haven't decided which method we will use yet but we are leaning towards the train & bus option.

Thanks!

2. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

That timetable states form Oct 1 to start of winter season. So they haven't released the winter timetable yet, although I am pretty sure there will be more services in winter. I would expect it to be released soon, probably November.
    You can also check the timetables on the Austrian rail site http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?
    but they as they don't have the winter timetables either they can't list the leg from Ötztal to Sölden.
    Flixbus would be a good cheap option but it doesn't appear they go to Sölden.
    So I think the train/bus is the best option. I did it around 10 years ago and was pretty easy, buses leave from just outside the Ötztal station.

asammut_au likes this.
  3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you go here https://fahrplan.vvt.at/ and click on the menu top left corner you can select EN (english), though you still have to wait for the winter timetable.

asammut_au likes this.
  4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Out of interest checked my notes from 2007. I traveled by train from Graz that day. I noted that the train arrived on time at Ötztal station at 17:02 and the bus was waiting just outside. Arrived in Sölden around 18:15. Looking at the schedules it does appear that the buses are set to meet most of the trains which makes sense so there should be little wait.

asammut_au likes this.
  5. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

Thanks for the info. That would be great if the timetable lines up. I guess I'll have to wait for the timetable to be released to know for sure.

6. Kletterer

Kletterer Urban Chicken
    Ski Pass - Gold

Its quite unusual for timetables not to line up reasonably close in all the major Austrian resorts. As ageneral rule things do back off considerable after the 5 30 mark.

asammut_au and Heinz like this.
  7. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes, agree. Aim to complete the trip during the day. Will also make it easier to find your accommodation when you get there.

My timing in 2007 was still ok, although I misjudged the location of my pension and had a fairly steep uphill walk with ski gear. got a nice sweat up. In hindsight should have gone to the taxi stop next to the post office where the bus stopped.

asammut_au likes this.
  8. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

thanks again :) Would I be ok to take a 23kg ski bag onto the bus? Is it a coach type bus where they provide storage under the bus for baggage?

9. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Can't recall that one specifically but buses in Austria to ski resorts generally provide decent luggage space. Sometimes underneath coach style but usually a big luggage space in the middle of bus by exit door. They are well accustomed to carrying skiers with their gear. You'll be fine.

asammut_au likes this.
  10. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

asammut_au likes this.
  11. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

12. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

I use Rome2Rio religiously (Australian developed too, so well worth supporting). Keying in Munich to Solden didn't turn out so simple, but sometimes breaking it up a bit helps, so Munich to Innsbruck was easy and Innsbruck to Solden also simple enough. If you combine the words train & Germany, you can triple the cost compared to Austria or Italy, hence buses are far more cost effective in or out of German cities.

13. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

XTREMO and asammut_au like this.
  14. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes Rome2 Rio is very good at assessing all the options, but they are still dependent on the local bus companies releasing their seasonal schedules. The train/bus is the best option - just need to wait a bit to get the specific times.

asammut_au and Jacko4650 like this.
  15. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

ah right. I also find it frustrating that they take so long to release timetable. I think OP can have a reasonably high degree of certainty that the Ötztal will be well serviced from Munich. Its better serviced than Ischgl from memory. Ischgl ran a bus service to and from Innsbruck one season but it got canned. Not an easy resort to arrange transfers to/from. Weird. Its not out of the way or anything. In fact its round the corner from St Anton. Anyway, I digress..

asammut_au likes this.