Qantas Baggage

Jamesc

One of Us
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
Just finishing packing for our flights on christmas day. And checked our bag weights, double ski bag is 25kg and the luggage bag is 17kg.
Now reading the qantas website as they have changed their rules since last year.

We have 2x 23kg (1x23kg bag each) allowance.

With the old rules, i wouldn't have worried they would just take both bags as they were under total weight.
Now there is a confusing statement about "Heavy" bags that weigh over 23kg, will be charged and extra fee.

# A heavy charge will apply at the airport if your allowance is 23kg per piece and any piece exceeds that weight. No single item of checked baggage may exceed 32kg.

So will i get charged if i'm under total weight but a bag is over 23kg, or do i do another bag reshuffle.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines...d-heavy-charges

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Do a bag reshuffle.

It used to be averaged out - being a family of 6 they would average out ours all the time. It also used to be a total amount no a 'piece' amount. So we would pack a snowboard bag each PLUS a suitcase between us all for the overflow. Can't do that on a flight where one piece is allocated now, unless you buy an extra bag (but the rates are reasonable now).

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Actually we are packing now for Boxing Day but flying Emirate of the first time so our Qantas Club extra allowances etc are not going to help us this trip. Trying to work out the Emirates rules.

30kg economy/ 40kg business - I assume I can take more than one bag under that limit. And I hope they average weights among the family....

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
we are booked economy to japan via singapore on Singapore Airlines and been advised we get 20kg and then $40/kg per leg for excess. Thats $160/kg for the round trip.

At that rate I cant afford to take my board with me so i'll rent one when I'm there.

it would work out cheaper to buy an extra seat

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
20kgs!!!

That's is terrible!
On a ski trip you can barely take your boots along with your clothing :lol:

Might be ok for a trip to Bali, but a ski trip - upgrade to business and more baggage required!

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
gareth_oau said:
we are booked economy to japan via singapore on Singapore Airlines and been advised we get 20kg and then $40/kg per leg for excess. Thats $160/kg for the round trip.

At that rate I cant afford to take my board with me so i'll rent one when I'm there.

that's crazy ... if i were in your predicament i'd pack ultra light on the way over and then buy a powder board (if you don't already have one) when you're over there ... and then you'd have to try extra hard to keep under weight limit on the way back so you can bring the board back with you.

a new toy would be much more fun than paying excess to take your board over .

piolet

Better make it three
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Nice gear whore justification
laugh.gif

Jamesc

One of Us
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
Bag reshuffle it is, might swap the board bindings into the other bag and throw a few clothes in the board bag.
The heavy charge is only $50 if i go over not a per kg any more. (from what i can see), just gotta make sure i keep it under the 50KG for jetstar on the way home.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Um, I reckon th binding /clothing swap might achieve the opposite to the desired result - clothing weighs heaps!!
But have fun!!
Also be aware th scales at the airpot have been known to be a bit off. Have a fallback plan (like knowing exactly which item needs to go for a 1 or 2 kg drop) in case they make you repack again at th airport.

Repacking seems so totally lame.
Same stuff going on the plane.
Same weight overall.
Why?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jamesc

One of Us
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
worse come to worse ill take my snowboard boots out of the board bag and wear em onto the plane

Jamesc

One of Us
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
gareth_oau said:

A standard charge of 3kg will be applied on the ski equipment if its weight and your other checked baggage exceed the free allowance entitled to you. This is applicable up to a maximum excess of 15kg for the ski equipment. Normal excess baggage charges will apply for any excess weight beyond 15kg.

So your looking at $120 for a ski bag if you go over 40kg in either direction.
i recon you could get under 20kg each including ski gear if you try.

I found i could shave 3kg by just swapping to my no roller burton board bag and still fit all the same gear in it. Just dont like that its not padded at all.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I'm going to have a dummy run packing session in the next few days just to see how much my weight will be. i think part of my problem is the empty weight of my luggage

(maybe i will need to leave all my mars bars at home
frown.gif
)

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
gareth_oau said:
I'm going to have a dummy run packing session in the next few days just to see how much my weight will be. i think part of my problem is the empty weight of my luggage

I've often made this point. And with the greater enforcement of restrictions it has become even more of a factor.

I have a light roller duffel and a plain non roller, non-padded single ski bag and am able to work inside the limits.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I've never understood the thing of shuffling stuff between checkin and carryon to make weights - that is pure farce. But don't see a problem in shuffling gear between two checkin bags. A 23kg per bag limit actually seems quite reasonable to me - people have to be able to lift these. You've obviously got a lot more than just skis if it is 25kg.

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra

I flew Cathay last year, took ski's, boots (carry on) and clothing, managed to stay just under the 20KG limit..
Tight but doable.

Jamesc

One of Us
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
As per question I'm flying to japan, direct with qantas.

2 people, 1 double roller bag contains, skis, snowboard, snowboard boots, poles jackets some clothes etc 23kg
other duffel ski boots, snowboard bindings clothing etc. 21kg.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Jamesc said:
As per question I'm flying to japan, direct with qantas.

2 people, 1 double roller bag contains, skis, snowboard, snowboard boots, poles jackets some clothes etc 23kg
other duffel ski boots, snowboard bindings clothing etc. 21kg.
Get a boot bag and take your boots on as carry on.
I always always take my boots on the plane.
the way I see it I can virtually rent everything else (if a bag gets lost).

Jamesc

One of Us
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
trying to avoid the pain of carrying boot bags this trip, like to travel light with less bags to handle when moving on trains and busses etc.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
This year will be the first year in a while for me with no baggage issues - Etihad have matched Emirates with 30kg upgraded from 23kg, plus I have reached Silver which gives me an extra 10kg. I would have been fine with 33kg but now with 40kg it is stress free.

I don't actually want to take that much stuff but it's nice to have no pressure.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Jamesc said:
trying to avoid the pain of carrying boot bags this trip, like to travel light with less bags to handle when moving on trains and busses etc.
Oh thats easy...I only carry the boot bag on plane.
The moment I get my luggage it goes back inside the main bag

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
The one thing they never seem to worry about is the laptop bag. I usually take a small laptop in a large bag & then pack all electronic gear (camera, video camera, chargers, power board & adapter(s), cables etc in there as well. I also put all paperwork in the pocket as well.

The luggage nazi at international check in (MEL) occasionally wants to weigh the rollaboard, but nobody has ever said anything about the laptop bag, At a guess I would say it usually averages around 10kg or more.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yeah my "laptop" backpack took 8kgs last trip..Including my boots.
Once I got to Narita the boots went into the snowboard bag...

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
There's a cockhead at MEL who weighs your carry on.

Mine was hugely overweight a few years ago so I just hid my ski pants inside my jacket which I slung over my arm, DSLR went around my neck, boots over my shoulder and then reweighed.

It's such a bloody farce considering it's all going on the plane anyway.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Heinz said:
I've never understood the thing of shuffling stuff between checkin and carryon to make weights - that is pure farce. But don't see a problem in shuffling gear between two checkin bags. A 23kg per bag limit actually seems quite reasonable to me - people have to be able to lift these. You've obviously got a lot more than just skis if it is 25kg.
Thats fine as long as they don't give you a piece limit as well.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Heinz said:
I'd weigh easily 10kg less than most other adult passengers, but no consideration for that of course.
I've had Qantas checkin nazis make me move 2kg of stuff from checked luggage to carry-on, not sure why.
A couple of years ago at Melb this happened, but I transferred the stuff to my ski bag instead.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Lady Mamabear said:
Heinz said:
Thats fine as long as they don't give you a piece limit as well.

True, that is also a pain these days when they sometimes count a ski bag extra but in the above I was commenting on the original post where it was 2 bags between 2 people.

D

d15812

Qantas business is now 3 x 32kg + 2 x 7kg carry on which is ridiculous in the other direction.

Skymark domestic japanese flights have the most reasonable over weight charges I've found. 500 yen for 10kg, not even worth worrying with Takkyubin at that price.

D

d15812

They changed it in about May this year, definitely 3 x 32kg, says so on my booking confirmation

8306799770_0b5ff32b9e_c.jpg

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
well the good news is I had a practice run with packing my bag over the weekend.

i purchased a new board/wheelie bag a few months ago and at 2.9kgs its considerably lighter than the 6.5kg previous luggage I was using.

I havent packed any day to day clothing yet, but with all my oaterwear, helmet, board, boots etc, the total weight was just under 16kg.

add to that a pair of jocks and 4kg of mars bars and I'll be fine!!
laugh.gif

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Packing to go home on Emirates this morning.
Even with the new heavy handmade super huge Ash and Ebony snowboard and other gear whore acquisitions I doubt we will exceed the very generous 40kg per person allowance (for 4 of us).

Very nice!
May even have room for that 5kg tub of Nutella from Geneva Airport!
biggrin.gif

It's a new expereince for me, as I have always travelled on Qantas previously - religiously. But they do not work in well with their code share partners and the journey to Europe was never smooth, baggage weight issues, continuity of journey issues and lost luggage issues.

blutek

One of Us
Jun 2, 2003
central coast
We have surface mailed ski & board boots home several times in the distant past - not cheap & took 6 weeks+ to arrive. Conversely, remember lugging over 70kgs (2 pax) onto a JAL domestic from Chitose, when they had no domestic limit (or never rejected).

meen

Hard Yards
Jul 30, 2004
sydney
Im not so much worried about the weight of each bag. I'm mnore worried about this little rule they've slipped in:

"Total dimensions of the 3 pieces must not exceed 405cm (159in) and total dimensions of the 2 pieces must not exceed 270cm (106in) with no 1 piece exceeding 158cm (62in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage."

No way the snowboard bag fits within these limits.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
eek.gif
Either they don't want skis or there is an exemption. Not many ski bags under 158 in length alone

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
person s said:
Heinz said:
I'd weigh easily 10kg less than most other adult passengers, but no consideration for that of course.
I've had Qantas checkin nazis make me move 2kg of stuff from checked luggage to carry-on, not sure why.
A couple of years ago at Melb this happened, but I transferred the stuff to my ski bag instead.

I always make sure I take my time, you know waste theirs a little bit and be a bit inconvenient
laugh.gif

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
currawong said:
eek.gif
Either they don't want skis or there is an exemption. Not many ski bags under 158 in length alone

I've rarely had issue with it, they always let it go just put it into Oversized baggage.

Last year Qantas made me amalgamate my three bags (i suitcase, ski bag and boot bag) into two. I did it no problems.

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
I took my 185 length bag full of skis and all clothing, just under 23 kgs on Qantas Sydney to Narita and then JAL to Chitose in the last three weeks, there and back, no problems.

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
Olgreg
Did you just put through normal baggage or load through oversize counter
Hatto

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
Oversize counter. No problem, just checked in as normal and lugged it down there. At Narita there is a guy whose job is to grab the oversize stuff as soon as it comes through on the carousel, and lay it out neatly for you. All good.

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
Thanks Mate
First time doing this to Japan, much appreciated, all the info on here has been invaluable, great community

Only 16 sleeps to go

Hatto

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
Good chance your prediction will be right. If only I was leaving tomorrow

Hatto

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Olgreg said:
Oversize counter. No problem, just checked in as normal and lugged it down there. At Narita there is a guy whose job is to grab the oversize stuff as soon as it comes through on the carousel, and lay it out neatly for you. All good.

This bloke works fugging hard! I've seen him in action.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using