Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wouldn't get a job at an oz airport then

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
He's no Hercules either. Felt quite ashamed as I lumbered over and accepted his happy, smiling service. Harigato gozaimasu sounded insufficient.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MikeM

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2009
Sydney, Brisbane.. what day is it?
Be aware QANTAS are changing their baggage allowances again for travel after March 31st 2013

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines...er-destinations

http://www.smh.com.au/business/qantas-frequent-flyers-face-raft-of-changes-20130212-2eaar.html

In summary, baggage allowance will be back to weight based not item based.

Good news for economy, you now get 30kgs over multiple bags.
smile.gif
Other classes get reduced.

I believe this is to align them with Emirates. Crazy to have all these changes so close together, very confusing for customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
Still unhappy about this partnership.

To illustrate how silly things are, I looked at booking the exact trip on the same day via the Emirates and Qantas websites. Same flights etc, but with a different flight number.

Qantas was $200 more than Emirates. Now I presume that's due to taxes but not sure. Don't think it's gonna help Qantas with their bookings once people figure that out?

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
Also note the change in bag dimensions allowable.

Total maximum dimensions for 1 single piece is 158cm. Anyone with skis or a snowboard is screwed!

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
surfie_guy1 said:

To illustrate how silly things are, I looked at booking the exact trip on the same day via the Emirates and Qantas websites. Same flights etc, but with a different flight number.

Qantas was $200 more than Emirates. Now I presume that's due to taxes but not sure. Don't think it's gonna help Qantas with their bookings once people figure that out?

Not taxes. All the government taxes are the same for all the airlines. It is purely that Qantas thinks it can sell the QF coded flight for more, ie. Australia consumers are willing to pay more to book their flights through QF. This is a common thing with codeshares around the world, each airline prices the flight how they want to price it and on the available seats they have been allocated. It also creates the situation where the flight might be sold out on Qantas' site but you might still be able to get seats through the EK code, etc.

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
travelislife said:
surfie_guy1 said:

Not taxes. All the government taxes are the same for all the airlines. It is purely that Qantas thinks it can sell the QF coded flight for more, ie. Australia consumers are willing to pay more to book their flights through QF. This is a common thing with codeshares around the world, each airline prices the flight how they want to price it and on the available seats they have been allocated. It also creates the situation where the flight might be sold out on Qantas' site but you might still be able to get seats through the EK code, etc.
Not taxes (or food) but fuel charges. eg MEL-SIN QF (YQ + YR) = $205.00, EK (YQ) = $30.40

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
surfie_guy1 said:

Nothing new about that, Qantas has been doing it for years. For example Qantas use to do a Qantas/Air France code share flight to Paris. If you booked through Air France you'd often save yourself a few hundred per passenger.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
FWIW I'd pay more to fly on Emirates. Simply in a different league compared with Qantas. They need to realise this.

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Emirates is in a different inferior league on its 777s in economy, one of few airlines in the world to squeeze an extra seat in instead of 3 3 3 they are 3 4 3 very narrow aisles and narrower seats than qantas, I was excited at first until I found out from perth to Dubai it is only emirates 777s planes no qantas planes would like to see qantas explain how this is better for customers.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Yeah the 10 across in the 777s sucks and the 777s don't have flat business class seats either, so I wouldn't say Emirates are in another league to Qantas. Where they are in another league is they actually fly to places people want to go to without having to go to Sydney!

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I've flown once on Emirates to Europe, their A340 was like torture but then the 777 was great. They don't use A340s any more to Oz however.

Been on Etihad the last couple of years and am v happy with them, booked again for next month.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Etihad for this trip

A340-600
A330-200
A330-200
777-300ER

17" ass

30kgs luggage
Shortest route to Munich

Rowdy

Hard Yards
Aug 2, 2007
Can anyone shed some light on the baggage limits for flights booked after the changes in February this year to Europe?

Prior to the changes it was stipulated you get one piece. Now it is as follows;

Travel Class/Membership Status Allowance
Economy 30kg (66lb)
Exceptions:
2 pieces at 23kg (50lb) each on QF4021/4022/4023/4024/4025/4026 between Singapore-Narita and Singapore-Haneda
1 piece at 23kg (50lb) on QF3874/3875 between Singapore-Helsinki

It doesn't really state how many pieces under the new rules. I've read sporting equipment is counted as one piece of checked luggage. My assumption is I can split my 33kg's between my checked backpack and snowboard bag. Has anyone had experience with this?

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Sorry can't help much there. No simple answer any more.
The way airlines have fiddled with their baggage policies in recent years has really pissed me off. Used to be easy (have mentioned this in other threads). Now before each trip I have to carefully try and interpret the various airlines rules on their websites along with any special allowances for ski gear, give up, have to email/phone them for clarification and make sure I printed off the response.

Don't know about Qantas, but this year Lufthansa & Singapore economy still allowed 1 piece plus a ski bag free as long as it was under 23kg. Air New Zealand on the other hand slug you for the extra piece regardless.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass