1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Qantas Freq Flyer points use

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Beerman, Mar 29, 2018.

1. di6loc

di6loc One of Us

... and **** up your credit rating in the process.

2. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Sure. Same here. Maximising rewards from cc’s is 101. But it’s all just chicken feed in the big scheme of personal financial management.

The exception are those small owner operator businesses that can put 2M or more though their Amex paying suppliers - that where it makes a real difference.

3. me tun

me tun Part of the Furniture

Le quartier de Fitzroy, Melbourne Côté Bohème
    Yeah, I appreciate they bank on a few people falling through the cracks, spending the 4k to start with (or whatever) to get the points then paying interest. But man, the amount of people who espouse that they have never paid interest etc. is amazing. Seems like a good thing to do it you're disciplined. I'm not. I also can't be bothered.

4. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

The Auto-pay monthly balance setting in NetBank is a godsend. Otherwise, if left to me I’d go six months thinking I still had a week up my sleeve before due.

LMB likes this.
  5. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

6. di6loc

di6loc One of Us

I've also seen it stated that each time an institution makes an enquiry on your credit history there is a negative impact. As to the accuracy of that claim - I'll leave that to the finance types.

I'm a wog - I pay cash, don't pay interest, own my home and can't use points. :party:

climberman, Richard and azzski like this.
  7. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Kash likes this.
  8. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not that I'm qualified in finance but I've seen the same thing. Every time you "enter into a relationship" with a credit provider, it is recorded on your credit file.
    If a prospective lender sees many of these, they will conclude that you're getting new cards all the time, not cancelling any of them and are thus bad with debt (and not bother to consider that you are cycling credit cards for points, balance transfers etc)

9. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Again, only really an issue if your credit score is low enough to cause them to drill down.

10. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Yeah, agreed churning cards for free points is a win win but only if you properly manage the multiple cards properly and don't pay interest. While Qantas availability is a no chance, there's usually some business class availability on other airlines using QF points. I don't waste points on economy rewards, except for the occaisional domestic reward.

11. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

To get the Qantas flights in their Classic Rewards, you have to look at booking as sson as they are released, over 12 months out.

12. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We just booked PE Melb-SF in Aug 19' and Business on the way home using QF points, via Classic Reward Flights. Released about 303 days out which people in here bought to my attention. Thanks for the tip.
    All up 336,000 points and roughly $1500 for 2 people.
    Did we get ripped. Maybe, but the points are essentially free based on purchases we have to make anyway. Some work flights and accomodation always help our tally along too.

13. me tun

I was holding out for a bid now invitation so I could upgrade on a flight to Singapore this Friday (instead of just getting a classic reward upgrade). Turns out my fare type was ineligible anyway i.e., the cheapest of the cheap.

Looks like I'll be flying down the back next to the toilet again. I do get a tiny bit of satisfaction from knowing I have paid the absolute least amount on a ticket...

14. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

This is a bugger.

My silver frequent flyer expires at the end of march and I have no travel plans before then. I need 4 flights and 250 status credits to retain it. The business class checkin and luggage allowance makes it well worth it. I currently have 2 flights and 240 status credits.

I can earn another 20 credits and the other 2 flights by doing a points-plus-pay to Canberra or Melbourne, and I have enough points that it'll cost nothing.

So I rang Qantas. I figure if I use the same number of points to "buy" the extra flights and credits it'd save them having to fly me there and back for no good reason. No luck - I have to take the flights.

I have a mate in Canberra. I'll get him to pop out to the airport and we can catch up for a coffee. Bloody stupid though...

15. me tun

Yeah, the whole QF thing appears to be very algorithmic. If you really drill down it's all a bit of a con. Take my flight for example:
    - cheapest economy fair type that lets you upgrade with a classic reward upgrade: $934 one way (I paid $825 return).
    - cheapest business class flight: $2310 (one way).
    - points required: 50,000 (that's a fair bit of flying/spending on your cc with a $300 annual fee).

Now, this is very crude - but you get the gist:

2310 - 934 = 1376

Membership cost: 90
    Credit card annual fee: 300
    Couple of interest payments because you forgot: 100
    Those few flights you paid a little bit more on because of the points: xxx
    All adds up...

In my case I may as well have just bought a business class ticket and had the certainty. Not that I mind flying economy.

skifree likes this.
  16. Piste Again

I put everything I can on my credit card and earn 45,000-50,000 FF points a year before I even leave the ground.

LMB, Slalom, dibl0c and 2 others like this.
  17. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

ANZ have an offer - can't remember exact dates but i am getting double points for most of Dec and Jan.

LMB likes this.
  18. me tun

Yeah, sometimes it's not so much about the points. You can have millions. I just think there are times where if you're not flying a massive amount to earn the status (or buy a class of fair no one really buys with their own money) where you are high up in the pickings (and rightly so) for an upgrade. It's not that good. No such thing as a free lunch and all that. And if you were to put a dollar value on all that, I reckon the net saving across the board wouldn't be fantastic. I'm sure someone has done a study.

Sure there are exceptions, I was one, business class travel to Europe five or six times a year on other people's money...

dibl0c likes this.
  19. PerthBoarder

PerthBoarder Hard Yards

If it was too retain gold or above status I’d totally agree but silver I’m not so sure. I’m silver with Q Club and have seen no benefit of silver. May look at joint Q club, same perks you mention plus lounge access.

20. dibl0c

dibl0c coolstorydibloc™ Ski Pass: Gold

#shitadelaide or #brisbogan ... take your pick.
    Said no one ever ...

skifree and Zeroz like this.
  21. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Almost time for me to cancel my credit card to avoid paying the annual fee and jump ship to a new one with bonus points. Any good deals out there?

22. Ozgirl

23. chicski

ANZ black have one at the moment.

Froff Life and Ozgirl like this.
  24. me tun

LOL you got me, I do mind. I'm actually cursing the fact that I didn't just buy a business class ticket. It's also weird that I can't just throw money at them to change my ticket, without it being all fee-y.

dibl0c likes this.
  25. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

This.
    I’ve done an extra trip, or paid for business class on a trip instead of economy and upgraded when I’ve needed the points to requalify dor platinum. Platinum makes a difference. Silver, no. gold, yes - but you’ll get a lot less upgrades, and no one gives you the wankie bottle of water and comes to personally thank you for flying with them today (actually HATE that part, so embarrassing, wish they’d stop it).

I’d agree.
    At this stage it’s still working for us, but it’s knife edge. And we’ve decided that once we stop earning massive points on the credit card courtesy of the business and fly less miles (stay longer ie: retired/semi retired) it will be better for us just to buy a business ticket on the best airline for that route when we fly and not chase points and be all brand loyal.

Chalkie likes this.
  26. Piste Again

27. Piste Again

There's few better feelings than turning up 2 hours before your full A380 leaves, looking at the hundreds of people in the checkin queue, and being able to walk up the the business class checkin and being served immediately. Priceless.

And the 42kg luggage limit.

dibl0c likes this.
  28. Ozgirl

Ah that sucks - the status credit would have been handy for you

29. Mogul

Mogul One of Us

And herin lies the problem. For most people the illusion of flying business class anywhere is just that. In order to save enough points for a business class ticket people will save for years only to find out the spend rates have changed and need to keep saving.

Once you add up all the fees not worth for probably 95% of people saving points.

If you are lucky enough to be able to put large amounts through CC's it is definately worth it. Luckily I'm in the worth it group earning on average 100k plus points a month.

30. gareth_oau

And 1 premium fare is the same as 2 economies, so go on 2 holidays instead

31. Mogul

Mogul One of Us

I don't pay anything extra or surcharges for the points.

Don't bother booking with the hope of an upgrade not worth the $$$ if the upgrade doesn't come through, just book the reward tickets as needed and this isn't always in business depending on where I'm going.

Not all my points are with Qantas I also have around 1 million Virgin points which are great for SQ redemptions without the fuel fines of Qantas.

32. gareth_oau

ROFL. There ain’t no way in the world I would pay cash for an airfare and actually expect a seat to be waiting for me when I got to the airport

33. coolair

coolair One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have accumulated around 350000 Qantas points from my work CC.
    Just booked The Chicago Hilton for 3 nights in July for 118000 points.
    I dont know if this is a good deal or not, but its not out of my pocket as such.
    Does any one know around how many points a return PE ticket to New York earns?, I paid $8.6k for 2.

34. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Won’t earn anywhere near that. Also depends on your status, but SYD-LAX-NYC for a bronze flyer would earn about 15,500 points one way per person in premium economy. 12,400 if you bought a discount fare.

coolair likes this.
  35. gareth_oau

my bad I misread the post i was quoting what it would cost in points

travelislife likes this.
  36. coolair

coolair One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just offed a PE to biz upgrade , 2 tickets SYD-NYC for 120000 points &110000 points for trip home from Dallas. very tempting.

37. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I have been trying to get free FF membership as I am flying for work a bit now and I don't want to pay the nearly $100

Seems to be shut down now.

38. LMB

Ozgirl and skull like this.
  39. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am getting the same problem.

Doesn't work, says existing member. I have tried with different emails and addresses. I have even rang them to reset my account and they said you don't have one and then tried to get me to sign up through the contact centre and pay the money.

40. Ozgirl

Woolworths rewards?

41. gareth_oau

we earn around 30,000 QFF points per year from Woolies, and then pay for the purchases with the Amex for another 30,000 points

42. blutek

blutek One of Us

Most of our points now come from churning. Loyalty spending has been devalued (Visa).

#92 blutek, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  43. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Churning is the best way. The only value to QFF points is business classic awards. Economy? Waste. Points plus Pay? Waste. Qantas shop? Waste.

I have given up worrying or focusing on day to day point earning through spending (personal). 10 points here, 100 points there, they dont actually add up to anything significant. Initially, like most beginners to point programs, I find i was wooed into changing my shopping habits so that I would be earning the most "points". Buying product A instead of B, buying things i might not have wanted, etc. Once you get to that level, you've lost the game.

44. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yep ... add up to nothing significant ...

coolair, Ozgirl and dibl0c like this.
  45. LMB

Yeah I don’t chase points anymore, got more of those than we can use effectively. But I do chase status credits to keep the tier. We have a rough idea of upcoming travel possibilities and when a double status points offer comes out we try and lock in as many eligible flights as possible that we would’ve bought anyway. By doing this and keeping Platinum we can usually pay economy and fly business, but if for that one or two flights you don’t get the upgrade at least you’re earning double status on the ‘back of the bus’ trip.

Ozgirl likes this.
  46. Ozgirl

Days - i missed by days!!

47. chicski

QFF 30% classic reward flights sale until Monday. Just scored Syd-Vancouver and back San Francisco-Syd for 63,000 pt and $420.

Crystal, Froff Life, Slalom and 3 others like this.
  48. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nice get.

49. heathy

heathy Hard Yards

Hi Just tried the same for ADL-YVR return out 30/1 in late Feb guess what-the last direct flight YVR-SYD is on 30/1! you must have had the same problem since your return is SFO-SYD well done-looks like I will have to use my UA pts (80,000) AC mel-yvr taxes $160

50. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

it's only valid for economy - is that correct?

mx_boarder likes this.