Qantas Lounges in the travel bubble era

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
*first world questions

I'm looking at booking a flight to NZ early in 2022 for a special occasion, directly through Qantas. I see on their Lounge info page that International Lounges are closed in Aus right now except Brisbane (Business) and Sydney (First).

Has this been the case since the start of COVID lockdowns 15 months ago? Or is Melbourne only on the closed list since the latest lockdown and may be open by then?

I've found some pretty decent Business specials for my flights but I consider Lounge usage part of the value of paying for Business. How are current Business customers being 'compensated' or redirected if Lounges are currently closed?

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
*first world questions

I'm looking at booking a flight to NZ early in 2022 for a special occasion, directly through Qantas. I see on their Lounge info page that International Lounges are closed in Aus right now except Brisbane (Business) and Sydney (First).

Has this been the case since the start of COVID lockdowns 15 months ago? Or is Melbourne only on the closed list since the latest lockdown and may be open by then?

I've found some pretty decent Business specials for my flights but I consider Lounge usage part of the value of paying for Business. How are current Business customers being 'compensated' or redirected if Lounges are currently closed?
Friends flew Qantas business to Auckland via Sydney on Saturday.
No lounges, virtually no shops open.Just maccas and a coffee shop

Couldn't find anywhere to have a preflight bevies.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country

Wow, ok :confused:

You're right, 2022 we hope things will have changed .... but then we all thought 2021 would be different from 2020 as well. hmmm.....

Reactions: Jonathan_P

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico

Did they try the first lounge? I believe that is available to platinum or business tix with the business lounge closed

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
To the OP, I recall seeing when we booked our Mel-QT flights that at least 1 of the Melbourne lounges was to be open. I think it will be bubble pause as the reason for closure. Same for the domestic lounge as we were in there a month ago

Reactions: sastrugi

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Did they try the first lounge? I believe that is available to platinum or business tix with the business lounge closed
No. I don't believe so.
Was chatting online while they were waiting.
Mind you. Flying to NZ is a bit like domestic in timing (in my mind).

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
No. I don't believe so.
Was chatting online while they were waiting.
Mind you. Flying to NZ is a bit like domestic in timing (in my mind).
Yeah doesn’t take much to use the time.

here:
  • If you’re travelling from Australia to New Zealand in Business, or if you’re a Platinum One, Platinum, Gold Frequent Flyer or Qantas Club member, you’re invited to visit the Sydney or Melbourne First lounge until the Business lounges reopen.

Reactions: sastrugi and Donza

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Yeah doesn’t take much to use the time.

here:
  • If you’re travelling from Australia to New Zealand in Business, or if you’re a Platinum One, Platinum, Gold Frequent Flyer or Qantas Club member, you’re invited to visit the Sydney or Melbourne First lounge until the Business lounges reopen.
And return you get to use air NZ lounge

Reactions: sastrugi

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
When the NZ bubble started in mid April, Qantas opened their Melbourne First lounge along with Sydney First lounge. New menu.
Most major domestic airports with a QF lounge(s) have one lounge open.

Victorian Covid outbreak closed all the MEL lounges. Assume they will reopen whenever Vic reopens.

Self service is gone and it's now 'point at food and the staff pass it over'. Masks in lounge are off when sitting, on if moving round.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Thanks for the info everyone. It did seem to be a Melbs lockdown thing the more I looked into it. I booked the flights - Melbs-Well direct Business on sale, so fingers crossed all runs smoothly. Travel is indeed a lottery these days!

Did they get bevvies on the flight? The website says you get a hot meal and complimentary bottle of water. Woooppeee!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass