ski-dude

First Runs
Jul 6, 2005
Sydney
Mahtoh said:
Varel_Frystensky said:
Mahtoh said:
Your oppinion
My experience. Want proof? Here is the result of 2 minutes' work for a two week holiday that I did just now.

AIR NEW ZEALAND[NZ] 182 Aircraft : 320 Tue 09:50 AM01 Aug 2006 SYDNEY(SYD) Tue 14:50 PM 01 Aug 2006 CHRISTCHURCH(CHC) 03:00 (0 stops)

AIR NEW ZEALAND[NZ] 181 Aircraft : 320 Mon 07:00 AM 14 Aug 2006 CHRISTCHURCH(CHC) Mon 08:30 AM 14 Aug 2006 SYDNEY(SYD) 03:30 (0 stops)

Select
$398
There were four other options just on these dates for under $500 per person.
The $398 doesn't include taxes of $201.78, which brings the total to over $500. I also had problems finding cheap flights to NZ, especially for flights into Queenstown. Ended up getting flights to Christchurch using Jetstar for $388 including taxes.

Airline websites that don't quote tax-inclusive prices up front really gives me the S*!*s
mad.gif

The Valuetours brochure quotes flights into Queenstown for an extra $464 "including taxes" but when I got a quote from them over a month ago it added $203 in tax per person. This is the exact amount you would pay if you booked directly with Air NZ.

We all just need to be careful with booking agents in general. READ EVERYTHING

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny76

First Runs
Oct 29, 2005
Perth
Anyone else find it a little odd that so many new members have deemed this thread to be the best place for their first post?! I feel like maybe we might be being watched by a few select employees of the company in question.
wink.gif

mikl

First Runs
Feb 17, 2002
Adelaide, SA
While I love a good conspiracy theory all of the "new" members who have posted registered many many months ago. Plus some of them are the most vitriolic about SkiMax. So I guess your suggestion about the company joining just for the sake of posting positive comments doesn't hold. But - nonetheless, an intruiging theory! :)

giggle1974

First Runs
Mar 15, 2006
brisbane
All I can add to this is that Flight Centre and its related companies- Student Flights, Travel Associates, Fcm Travel, Corporate Traveller, Overseas Working Holidays, Escape Travel etc etc
have ALL stopped selling Skimax.

Usually the reason for this is that they become 'non preferred' either from lots of complaints or non assistance from them when there have been problems.

Varel_Frystensky

First Runs
Dec 22, 2003
ski-dude said:
My experience. Want proof? Here is the result of 2 minutes' work for a two week holiday that I did just now.

AIR NEW ZEALAND[NZ] 182 Aircraft : 320 Tue 09:50 AM01 Aug 2006 SYDNEY(SYD) Tue 14:50 PM 01 Aug 2006 CHRISTCHURCH(CHC) 03:00 (0 stops)

AIR NEW ZEALAND[NZ] 181 Aircraft : 320 Mon 07:00 AM 14 Aug 2006 CHRISTCHURCH(CHC) Mon 08:30 AM 14 Aug 2006 SYDNEY(SYD) 03:30 (0 stops)

Select
$398
There were four other options just on these dates for under $500 per person.
The $398 doesn't include taxes of $201.78, which brings the total to over $500. I also had problems finding cheap flights to NZ, especially for flights into Queenstown. Ended up getting flights to Christchurch using Jetstar for $388 including taxes.

Airline websites that don't quote tax-inclusive prices up front really gives me the S*!*s
mad.gif

The Valuetours brochure quotes flights into Queenstown for an extra $464 "including taxes" but when I got a quote from them over a month ago it added $203 in tax per person. This is the exact amount you would pay if you booked directly with Air NZ.

We all just need to be careful with booking agents in general. READ EVERYTHING [/QB][/QUOTE]
Wholesellers are there to make money too. They sell their product at the market price of the moment. All is about timing. If all is selling well, they would not discount, if their allocated seats are not being sold, then they start discounting. Similar to the airliners.

Rammel

First Runs
Jul 8, 2002
Melbourne
I'm associated with the company that owns Skimax that is why I went through them. The answer I got from Skimax was pretty much stiff, go through the travel agent (same company that owns Skimax). The answer I got from travel agent was go through Skimax, and I went back to the travel agent first. I didn't get a decent answer from any, so now going through consumer affairs. Will keep you updated.

I don't know if a couple of the posts above were aimed at me as I do not contribute much, but if you do search you will see most of my posts are in the travel section and that I do try to be helpful. Thanks

Varel_Frystensky

First Runs
Dec 22, 2003
You have been helpful Rammel. Good luck. I once went through NSW fair trading agency, trying to get some answers from Ozsnow Adventures, and they helped OK. After their interference I got reimbursed within days.

Schneemann

First Runs
Aug 28, 2004
Sydney, Australia
This is a follow-up post to my previous posts on page 2 of this thread. I just got back from Whistler a couple of days ago. Had a fantastic time and it looks like I got to enjoy the last of the winter - spring is arriving quickly.

I had no problems at all with my SkiMAX bookings. Everything went smoothly - the room was as expected, lift passes were waiting and transport was all correctly booked. I can't complain. And ALL of the prices they got for me were better than anything else I could have booked myself, and I work in the travel industry and usually get some pretty good discounts. Maybe I was just lucky :)

Happy traveling.

Schneemann

First Runs
Aug 28, 2004
Sydney, Australia
You know what, even though my trip went well, I would highly recommend that you check all your details, vouchers, etc. I just called to see what sort of deal I could get for an Oz ski package this year, and the guy I spoke to was robotic and incompetent, and I saved $1000 by booking directly through the hotel! Just goes to show it is good to do your own research. Sometimes travel agents can get you a better deal, sometimes they can't (or are too incompetent to find you the best available rate).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Bit of thread mining here.

I never use agents, but I got some quotes from skimax and some other agents for accommodation in Whistler. For certain properties their cost has come back significantly cheaper than anywhere else, like thousands. Another property I suggested, I could get slightly cheaper elsewhere. The consultant has been very helpful with different options. I’m not bundling anything, just need a hotel.

Anyone use skimax recently? I’m concerned that it’s too good to be true, will I end up with the shittiest room in the hotel?

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
I have used skimax a few times when they have been cheaper for accommodation and always been happy.

Reactions: skichic

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
I have had a few dealings with Skimax recently...not booking just requesting some advice and help. I was referred there by a very good friend who is also in the travel industry. Good rep, you'll be right. Trust them. They often can get really cheap wholesale rates on places that we can't it just depends on the resort and what agreements they have in place.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass