Qantas to Nth America - are ski bags really now extra baggage ???

Nov 14, 2000
Australia
Am I reading this correctly - now only allowed one bag up to 32kg in Qantas Economy to Nth America (effective rule change March 2021) - with skis (ie sporting goods) needing to be bought as extra baggage for $280 return ??

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
As a family that could be handy. One ski bag packed to the gills, get a Dakine Boundary or similar that can take the kitchen sink. Then 32kg per paid passenger is heaps.

Pretty sucky for solo or couples though.

I’ve always admired Jetstar’s pragmatic approach to excess baggage and wished Qantas had followed suit. Speaking from a person who habitually has trouble keeping inside the weight limits as ski touring has a lot of extra gear: 2x beacons, shovels, probes, crampons, axes, harnesses, skins etc all add up, plus I generally need to take a strong pair of alpine boots for the ski test and touring boots for the rest of the trip.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
I like all my gear to be as multiseason as possible.

So, my boot bag is actually a mtb product.

Reactions: Telezacski

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Nice bags (I have one) but too thick for the teeny overhead lockers on Dash 8. I have to top and tail my tele boots rather than side by side, then my helmet just squeezes in the lid of an Osprey Switch 26L back country ski pack. Not even sure if they make them anymore but works for me. My baby laptop squeezes down beside my boots and the hip belt pockets take bits and bobs etc. Lucky I have teeny tiny feet so my boots are also small.

It still takes some gentle persuasion to get it in the Dash 8 lockers but has served me well on many Bass strait crossings...

Reactions: CarveMan

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Cool - I wonder if they’d take size 30 TX Pros? Taking boots out of the main bad make quite a difference.

I too confess travelling too heavy (to Hakuba) - lugging/wheeling ~ 50 kg up the hill in the snow and dark from Happo to lodge in Wadano (near Sakka 3) was quite character building? :rolleyes:
(Yes, the taxis were flat chat at 6/7 pm!)

More on topic, I note there’s some pretty funky luggage now where the cabin luggage clicks onto the main wheelie luggage. Seems a better solution, armed with the right budget? No need to travel with an Octopus? ;)

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
We have a Dakine split bag which is awesome. Weights up to 50kg when connected together, split them at airport and yay you are within limits but moving from place to place attach them together and you only need one arm.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
We have a Dakine split bag which is awesome. Weights up to 50kg when connected together, split them at airport and yay you are within limits but moving from place to place attach them together and you only need one arm.

Hi Crystal, maybe that’s what I saw at my local shop last year pre Japow. Knowing the expense of quality luggage, I didn’t think it was unreasonable.

But, I’d already spent a bundle on new skis and kit, so had to pass. But travel is hard enough anyway, solo with skis is trickier, so anything that frees up hands at crucial times is good!

Leaving one’s gear safely when going to a public loo is a worry. Good thing when it’s Japan though! :cool:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
My favourite piece of luggage I own.
So useful
50l is way to big for an overhead locker isn’t it?

I recall Looking at the ying & yang style bags that I believe are compatible with lockers?

But as ever, big boots, tele size #30, will test any airline policy, on size if not so much weight. Will research in case Japow travel changes improve. :thumbs:

Reactions: MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002

I recall Looking at the ying & yang style bags that I believe are compatible with lockers?

But as ever, big boots, tele size #30, will test any airline policy, on size if not so much weight. Will research in case Japow travel changes improve. :thumbs:
@CarveMan ?Do you look like a dick trying to put it in the overhead or does it look pretty standard?

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan

Fits on international flight bins very easy as it’s a good shape.
Bit of a squeeze on 737s etc but I have never not fitted it in and never raised an eyebrow with cabin staff as being too big.
Have a look, it’s a great bit of kit

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Fits on international flight bins very easy as it’s a good shape.
Bit of a squeeze on 737s etc but I have never not fitted it in and never raised an eyebrow with cabin staff as being too big.
Have a look, it’s a great bit of kit

Cool ta, will do. I flew with JAL BTW, so generous all round to Narita, with 10 kg allowed in cabin.

I can’t recall if their dimension test is different any other airline. 787s I think so pretty good, even std economy. ~ $1000 midweek flights.

Reactions: TOFF

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Interesting. If someone could make a technical day pack that did this job too I'd be all for it.
I've been stuffing one of my massive size 46 boots in my carry on roller for years.If there was a double boot bag carry on that could double as a daypack once destination reached they'd make a motza

Reactions: StashyMcStash

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
Reactions: CarveMan

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I have one and it’s awesome. My boots are MP 31 and still no problem getting a heap of other gear in as well. However, MrsBoof has little feet ( snowboard boots) so we carry on with one of each boot in our bags. She has the Burton equivalent but I like the Dakine better.
@snowgum good feedback re size 30/31 clod hoppers

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane

I haven’t had a problem yet. My boots are 31.

Nov 14, 2000
Australia
Would you have a link to this ? Sounds like something that combines ski bag with a case ?

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Am I reading this correctly - now only allowed one bag up to 32kg in Qantas Economy to Nth America (effective rule change March 2021) - with skis (ie sporting goods) needing to be bought as extra baggage for $280 return ??
I am cynical but I am sure qantas will do its best to extract money from its customers to make up for lost time.
One bag up to 32 kg is stupid, no one could lift it .

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I am cynical but I am sure qantas will do its best to extract money from its customers to make up for lost time.
One bag up to 32 kg is stupid, no one could lift it .
Tend to agree - need to be an Olympic weightlifter to comfortably handle 32kg. Even 23kg is enough to test old crunchy shoulders and backs.
I note from Hakuba travels - wheeled luggage and snow cover aren’t always the best of friends.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Qantas website when searched generally doesnt specify.
Maybe they want you to arrive at the airport and get a surprise.
For skiers it is like increasing the ticket price by $280.
where is your reference ?

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
I found this.
First Class & Business Class3 x 32kg (70lb) each3 x 32kg (70lb) each4 x 32kg (70lb) each
Premium Economy2 x 23kg (50lb) each3 x 23kg (50lb) each3 x 32kg (70lb) each
Economy2 x 23kg (50lb) each3 x 23kg (50lb) each3 x 32kg (70lb) each

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I have hardly skied at all for two seasons in VIC. back to back due to CV19 lockdowns.

In Early 2023 I will spend the money I did not spend in 2020 and 2021 on Northern Hemisphere skiing. The extra cost of taking two pairs of boots, matching skis with matching bindings , poles etc. on my world ski trip will be money well spent.
The prices for extra ski luggage ,as posted here by forum users will change, IMHO , by Nov. 2022.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Yeah I dont really care what I spend getting there but I do hate all the bullshit rigmarole at airports just going there .
Now it will be luggage restrictions, possible late flights , Covid tests and passport , usual leaving the country bullshit security with passport blah blah blah ,Xray of carryon baggage , being nagged by hosties on the plane bullshit wearing a mask for 8 hrs to Japan , disembark Japan aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh I can relax.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Yeah I dont really care what I spend getting there but I do hate all the bullshit rigmarole at airports just going there .
Now it will be luggage restrictions, possible late flights , Covid tests and passport , usual leaving the country bullshit security with passport blah blah blah ,Xray of carryon baggage , being nagged by hosties on the plane bullshit wearing a mask for 8 hrs to Japan , disembark Japan aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh I can relax.
ROFL
"........ disembark Japan aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh I can relax".

Relax???? Here's my description of my arrival in Japan back in May:

- Negative COVID test result 72 hours before flight. (COVID rapid test is ok)​
I arrived back in Japan yesterday. The documents you needed:​
Paper:​
- Form filled out with result of COVID test in the US.​
- Original Medical centre result of COVID test in the US​
- Questionnaire that duplicates the online questionnaire.​
- Japan immigration written "pledge" to conform to rules on return to Japan.​
When arriving:​
- Updated Japan immigration "pledge" to conform to rules on return to Japan.​
- Question sheet outlining your travel movements while abroad, including country & state.​
- Arrivals COVID Test sheet with details of your name & passport, along with an assigned test number.​
- COVID Test instruction sheet. (they do a COVID rapid test, saliva, so you do that yourself)​
- Check sheet for online & APP installation​
- Negative test result slip.​
- Question sheet outlining your travel movements while abroad, including country & state. Again just before immigration, because the other one was collected earlier.​
Online/App:​
- Pre-flight online questionnaire that generates a QR Code.​
- Overseas Entrants checking APP (need to respond every day)​
- COVID-19 Contact APP​
- Heath monitoring communication APP (every day)​
- Google Map Tracking settings​
(- using the Line APP mentioned in the instructions is no longer required, but you must have an email that you can use.​
That's 11 documents you need, along with 2 online, and 3 APPS on your phone. (last December, it was about 7 documents and one online/QR code) That's 17 Hoops for bureaucratic Japan.o_O
There were 9 or 10 check stations, not including immigration & Customs. Typical and not unexpected.​
If you don't have a smartphone, you have to RENT a smartphone. You also need to make sure you have roaming available on your phone, or a SIM, or reliable access to WiFi, as they will do daily checks.​
So that's the "simple" Japanese entry process!!!! LOL ROFL :rolleyes:
However, last time it took about 2.5 hours from gates open to out of the terminal, this time it was less than 2 hours.​
One aspect that you wouldn't think of, having to wear a mask for ~ 16-20 hours+ starts hurting my ear​

When I arrived back in Japan in August, it was slightly simpler, except I had to spend 3 days in a QH!!!

Nov 14, 2000
Australia
I found this.
First Class & Business Class3 x 32kg (70lb) each3 x 32kg (70lb) each4 x 32kg (70lb) each
Premium Economy2 x 23kg (50lb) each3 x 23kg (50lb) each3 x 32kg (70lb) each
Economy2 x 23kg (50lb) each3 x 23kg (50lb) each3 x 32kg (70lb) each
1633857004189.png

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
ROFL
"........ disembark Japan aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh I can relax".

Relax???? Here's my description of my arrival in Japan back in May:

- Negative COVID test result 72 hours before flight. (COVID rapid test is ok)​
I arrived back in Japan yesterday. The documents you needed:​
Paper:​
- Form filled out with result of COVID test in the US.​
- Original Medical centre result of COVID test in the US​
- Questionnaire that duplicates the online questionnaire.​
- Japan immigration written "pledge" to conform to rules on return to Japan.​
When arriving:​
- Updated Japan immigration "pledge" to conform to rules on return to Japan.​
- Question sheet outlining your travel movements while abroad, including country & state.​
- Arrivals COVID Test sheet with details of your name & passport, along with an assigned test number.​
- COVID Test instruction sheet. (they do a COVID rapid test, saliva, so you do that yourself)​
- Check sheet for online & APP installation​
- Negative test result slip.​
- Question sheet outlining your travel movements while abroad, including country & state. Again just before immigration, because the other one was collected earlier.​
Online/App:​
- Pre-flight online questionnaire that generates a QR Code.​
- Overseas Entrants checking APP (need to respond every day)​
- COVID-19 Contact APP​
- Heath monitoring communication APP (every day)​
- Google Map Tracking settings​
(- using the Line APP mentioned in the instructions is no longer required, but you must have an email that you can use.​
That's 11 documents you need, along with 2 online, and 3 APPS on your phone. (last December, it was about 7 documents and one online/QR code) That's 17 Hoops for bureaucratic Japan.o_O
There were 9 or 10 check stations, not including immigration & Customs. Typical and not unexpected.​
If you don't have a smartphone, you have to RENT a smartphone. You also need to make sure you have roaming available on your phone, or a SIM, or reliable access to WiFi, as they will do daily checks.​
So that's the "simple" Japanese entry process!!!! LOL ROFL :rolleyes:
However, last time it took about 2.5 hours from gates open to out of the terminal, this time it was less than 2 hours.​
One aspect that you wouldn't think of, having to wear a mask for ~ 16-20 hours+ starts hurting my ear​

When I arrived back in Japan in August, it was slightly simpler, except I had to spend 3 days in a QH!!!
Masks, necessary evils? It’s the fogged glasses and worse, breathing at about 5 x normal concentration of CO2. It’s not exactly conducive to clear thought!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Masks are required on all international & domestic flights, and in all airports.
Yes, just as well Sandy. They’re not fun though are they? And some itch the end of my nose almost driving me to distraction until it slowly settles.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Yes, just as well Sandy. They’re not fun though are they? And some itch the end of my nose almost driving me to distraction until it slowly settles.
BTW, I've been wearing a regular light mask on international flights because there's only about 15-20% of the seats occupied (and EVERYBODY has been tested), but I wear an N95 on the US domestic flights because those flights are all PACKED, and the US is running at 100,000 per day!!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass