1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion QANTAS vs JAL (Melbourne - Tokyo)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Medicine_Shoes, Dec 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Medicine_Shoes

Medicine_Shoes Hard Yards

With Qantas starting their new route from Melbourne to Haneda next year I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on this leg vs the current offering from JAL to Narita. As far as I see it, they both have their pros and cons and they are both similar prices.

JAL (Melbourne to Narita)
    Pros
    Is a night flight and lands at Narita first thing in the morning, so essentially you don't lose a day.
    2 x 23 Kgs of luggage vs 1 x 30 Kgs on Qantas.
    Better food than Qantas (my opinion).

Cons
    Lands at Narita, so have to travel into Tokyo if you plan on taking Shinkansen anywhere or domestic flight from Haneda.

QANTAS (Melboure to Haneda)
    Pros
    Lands at Haneda, so easy access to Shinkansen and domestic flights.
    Quicker to get to hotel if staying in Tokyo after flight.
    Daytime flight, so you will feel much fresher when you land as you would have had a full nights sleep before the flight.

Cons
    Lands at Haneda in the evening, so if going to straight to snow resort, depending on location, you may not get there until around midnight.
    You lose a day through daytime flight.
    Only 1 x 30 Kgs luggage vs 2 x 23 Kgs on JAL

What are other peoples thoughts on this? Which do you think is the better option?

skimax likes this.
  2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My thoughts.
    Getting in at 8pm at Haneda = 2am at the earliest arrival at any resort.
    You'll struggle to be at Nagano via shink before midnight
    JAL aircraft has best economy seat in the world.

Hermannator likes this.
  3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Have enjoyed the JAL offering with 8 seats across the 787 in economy instead of most airlines running the 9.

You get the day flight thing on JAL on the way home vs with QF on the way there.

Whilst I haven't flown QF (MEL-NRT), I reckon JAL since 787 better than A330 for 10h

4. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Have used JAL and Qantas for the Melb - Tokyo route a few times and I definitely prefer JAL. Food is a bit better, I really like flying over night so as not to lose a day and the JAL economy seats are the some of the roomiest I've ever sat in. Plus the 2 x 23kg baggage is super handy for taking 1 ski bag and 1 normal suitcase.

5. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I prefer the A330 if flying as a couple 2 4 2 seating config.
    I flew JAL to singapore from Haneda over night. I found they, like a lot of Japanese had the cabin too hot.
    We prefer to have a night at the airport then a relaxed and refreshed day to the snow.
    2 @30kg is enough baggage for us.
    For us its a holiday, so all needs to be as relaxed as possible.
    Snow will be there the next day.
    Id prefer a day flight home as well but not available.

6. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Flying over night is sub optimal as you start your holiday absolutely flogged.

If landing at Narita after about 5pm we always stay at one of the airport hotels, get a free shuttle into Narita and grab dinner and some beers then get a good night sleep and finish the travel the next morning.

skivet likes this.
  7. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Price would be the selling point for me.

I have always like the overnight QF flight from SYD to Tokyo. But did the Osaka day flight in March this year.

Flying Friday night you can be skiing the full day Sunday.

If you fly Saturday you don;t get the full day on Sunday.

ON flight is not rushed... staying awake until the proposed 2am above would be torture,

If it was cheaper to fly the day flight i would stay ON and travel to main destination the next morning,

8. Kimski

Kimski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It partly comes down to personal preference. I hate overnight flights to a destination as I can't sleep on planes at all it's just not a brilliant start to a holiday for me. Losing one day isn't a big deal for me as I get a generous leave allowance at my work.

My upcoming flight arrives at Haneda at 1am which is probably the worst of both worlds but the flight was cheap :D

9. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

1 am is a PITA, no trains.

10. Kimski

Kimski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Got a hotel near the airport so will just taxi there. It will be fine (I think...)

Froff Life likes this.
  11. Tanuki

Tanuki Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

JAL, if not just for the experience of Japanese service levels and the food. Also, landing at 8am is great, we were in Tokyo by about 10:15.

NeoSamurai and Medicine_Shoes like this.
  12. Medicine_Shoes

I thought most of the discussion on this subject would be on Narita vs Haneda. But I guess time of arrival is more important to people than convenience of location.

Ozgirl likes this.
  13. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Haneda ain't that convenient for shinkansen travel IMO. Monorail and then a punish on the Yamanote line vs 40mins on the skyliner and easy walk to Ueno station.

Great for domestic connections though.

Chaeron, Medicine_Shoes, PMG and 4 others like this.
  14. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yep!
    And onward travel.

Agree with Donna actually!

15. Medicine_Shoes

I've always caught the NEX to Tokyo Station as it is included in the JR East pass. Might have to check the Keisei option if it saves a lot of time. Suffice to say I will probably stick with JAL as I like my direct flights and I'm willing to pay a few hundred extra for that convenience.

Hyst likes this.
  16. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

I'm going to find out first hand in July. Arriving 8PM from MEL and need to get out of there by 9.20pm to get the last shink (which will arrive just before midnight). PITA as 1) there's the possibility we'll get held up and miss the last train, 2) painful connections to Tokyo with lots of luggage, and 3) Have to be picked up in Nagano. On the NRT flight we could always make it to Myoko-Kogen as long as we didn't get seriously delayed. I always liked the 6.52pm N'ex to Omiya and do the simple change there.

Donzah likes this.
  17. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Narita Excel Hotel (or similar) solves all the stress and if you get up and going early you not only get a good sleep but will get there about the time you would wake up pushing through all the way the night before and feeling much better.

mannyk and Hyst like this.
  18. M_G

Yeah, did that last summer when the flight landed late and it took so long to get through immigration we just gave up and booked a hotel. Coming into Haneda this time though. Hotels not as cheap as Narita.

If the flight came into Haneda at the same time as Narita I'd be happy but the later arrival time actually more than cancels out any benefits IMO

19. RCN

RCN Early Days

First cabin at the basement of Haneda Terminal 1 is a pretty good choice when arriving at night, prior to catching a morning domestic flight.

https://first-cabin.jp/en/hotels/15

20. MrT

MrT Hard Yards

Narita immigration 2 days ago was an absolute nightmare.

Personally I prefer overnight flights. We came in on JL774 and will leave on QF 80..

21. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

There's another option that is little known here...
    If you take the monorail to Hamamatsucho, you need to take the JR Yamanote Line, which can often be crowded by commuters, even at 9pm on a weekday.

However, if you take the Keikyu Line to Shinagawa, you can catch the JR Keihin-Tohoku Line or the Tokaido Line which should be less crowded at that time. You can also exchange your JR PASS at Shinagawa, rather than at the Airport. And you COULD catch the Shinkansen from Shinagawa to Tokyo!! ;)
    (no Yamanote Line)

PMG and M_G like this.
  22. M_G

I was going to actually do that second one but have just decided not to risk it. Travelling by myself is okay but trying to make it through on time with a grumpy teen and an autistic boy is probably stretching the envelope. My last 2 Qantas flights into Tokyo have both got in late as well so the odds say don't try it. Found a nice triple sc unit a short walk from Hamamatsucho Station for only 13,300.on Rakuten instead. We'll get going the next morning with less stress.