Qatar airways offering free flights for teachers

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
well...thank god for duty free.
So you're prepared to try out being exempt from laws on the basis a country chooses to not charge duty on overpriced booze and chocolates. Tell you what I'm reasonably certain that there is nothing about smoking in international law. Try lighting up after going through immigration and see how you go.

Reactions: cold wombat

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Qatar has already corrupted the worlds large sporting body - FIFA.
Sorry but FIFA were corrupt long before Qatar. I don't remember exactly what the incident was but one of my kids took the high moral ground at about age 11 and stopped playing soccer because of the corruption. Pretty bad when a kid that age is aware of it. Might have one of the many rounds of bribes.

Reactions: cold wombat

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I am just posting this link again with some quotes from the article
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10...nation-officials-referred-prosecutor/12834192

Let's start with the heading:
Qatar officials behind forced examinations of women at Doha airport referred to prosecutors
There is an implication in that heading that the forced examination of the women may be illegal. Hmm what happened to the argument about it being ok for these women to be violated because that was legal in the country they were in?

The next thing I have issue with is
The statement said the incident was the first of its kind at the airport, and was "wholly inconsistent with Qatar's culture and values".​
and
In Qatar, like much of the Middle East, sex and childbirth outside of marriage are criminalised.

Migrant workers in the past have hidden pregnancies and tried to travel abroad to give birth, and others have abandoned their babies anonymously to avoid imprisonment.​

mmm seems pretty consistent with lack of rights or respect for women to me.

And someone seems to have gone missing from this conversation............

snowbarbie

Addicted
Jul 6, 2019
Well, Qatar should be closed off from the rest of the planet then.
..fanciful...you would need to quarantine 99.9% of the world from the rest of the planet to eliminate abuses of human beings by human beings....which might be a good idea after all - give the planet to nations like Bhutan and people like the Kurds...and throw in a Jacinda Ardern here and there...I'm all for it

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
..fanciful...you would need to quarantine 99.9% of the world from the rest of the planet to eliminate abuses of human beings by human beings....which might be a good idea after all - give the planet to nations like Bhutan and people like the Kurds...and throw in a Jacinda Ardern here and there...I'm all for it
Just an official DFAT warning against travel.
That’s all that I think needs doing at this point, and providing support for the women involved.

teckel

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
What are you talking about? Are Bhutan and the Kurds great examples? I think you need to think again.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Certainly looks like the criminal angle was far more important to the Qataris than the public health angle:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
'Convict' fleeing and pregnant from east asia.

Too predictable, sadly. I'd put money on the father being a local, probably her employer.

Better get her! And violate some randoms! /sarc
This.
fcukt up barbaric sandpit country.

When I looked at the aircraft on the tarmac that night.
Overwhelmingly they were heading to Asia.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
I wonder how much more we will hear about this. I doubt if there will be any consequences for the father. The women in this situation truly are between a rock and a hard place, usually through no fault of their own.
Are you kidding?

Of course there wont be consequences for the 'owner'/ father

They're only sorry the story got out.

I only hope some light will be shed on them as some kind of upside from this poor womans tragedy.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass