1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Travel Life QT, Mt Hutt, Falls???

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by BMWRX, Mar 17, 2020.

?

Best field for Intermediate Skier (mostly groomers but likes to play around the edges)?

1. Falls Creek

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Queenstown

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Mt Hutt

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

Now that our trip to Hakuba is disappearing into the past, we are starting to get our next ski trip sorted for this coming southern winter.

We have done QT/Wanaka three times now and I suspect that we're getting to the point where those fields are a bit old hat (well, Coronet anyway, and I've lapped Cardies a million times). So we're contemplating Mt Hutt, but don't know a great deal about it, other than it has periods where it gets shut due to weather and it's a less 'touristy' option than QT.

However, with the current travelling climate, we may stay domestic and head to Falls. The same questions arise, as we don't know a huge deal about it, other than last year it had bulk snow and all who went there had a hell of a time.

I guess my question would be, for those who usually head over the ditch in winter, is there likely to be a push to Australian fields this year, in light of travel restrictions, etc an unknown entity (although winter is a while away yet)? And how does Falls compare to Cardies/Remarks/etc? I like to rip down the groomers and have a bit of fun in the softer stuff when the mood takes me, while my partner is now just dipping her toes into blue runs.

2. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I can't help in the comparison, but I liked Falls Creek's progression on blue runs when I went there.

Chaeron and BMWRX like this.
  3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Shutt, Concrete and Unremarkables all better than Flat Creek (vertical 683, 462, 357, ~200 metres respectively).

Accom in Falls stupid expensive.

BMWRX likes this.
  4. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Falls is expensive but better value than Buller or Hotham, unless you want to share a room in a lodge.
    As for the OP's question, steeper terrain in the summit/maze area might hit the spot in good conditions, while the progression of moderate Inter terrain in Sun Valley, from Highway, through Main to Powderkeg, then Scotts and Ruined is more suitable for a developing skier than blues at Hotham, for example. Then there's the side country and out of resort touring. Ok, I'm a Falls fan.

5. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I have a soft spot for Mt Hutt. I can admit have been a little fortunate with conditions when visiting.

The central blue run at Mt Hutt down the middle of the bowl (Huber's Run?) is a ripper with fresh corduroy and sharp edges, and may be one of the best groomers in the southern hemisphere? Comparable to the Supertrail at Thredbo. Nothing else quite in the same league for Aus or the South Island. (Ruapehu I'm sure has some big runs too, can't speak for it though)

Unfortunately your options run out a bit after that unless you're interested in off-piste black diamond runs. This is the situation with a few of the Canterbury fields - they are usually in a big bowl, with a single high-intermediate route down the middle, and advanced runs converging on it from the sides of the bowl. Not much for beginners, as they tend to be on the sides of actual mountains.

So really I'm saying Falls might be the more comprehensive option honestly. The only way I see NZ being a more memorable trip, is as a Canterbury road trip adventure. Ohau, Roundhill, Dobson, Hutt, Porters, Cheeseman. Maybe Rainbow?

6. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Stating the obvious, but Queenstown is a town not a ski field. It will be mostly flat with bitumen groomers. The ski field you are probably looking for though would be Cardrona.

Hermannator and Fozzie Bear like this.
  7. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

Maybe that's why I've grown tired of it. Not enough pitch on the runs!

I've done Cardies to death. It's a great field and run well but at the end of the last trip there I was getting a bit over it. We tend to do Cardies the most when staying in Queenstown. We go to Remarkables or Coronet to break things up but we've never enjoyed them (particularly Coronet last year when it was an ice rink).

8. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Personally, in light of the current 14 day isolation restrictions on arrival and low numbers of people travelling in the near future I would be (and am) watching and waiting in regards to NZ. (been going annually for 20 + years). Should be some good specials all going good with Coronz. How long do you normally go for and what time of season? if your thinking OZ for intermediate groomers etc., you can 't go past Perisher IMO (best bet due to altitude, as well as size) Edit: or if conditions are prime (cold, low freeze levels and heaps of snow) then Thredbo.

#8 Zimbooo, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  9. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

So ive been to coronet once, last year, boot deep, -8, sun out, no wind. Dunno what you are talking about! :)

10. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

You must have gone after we did (mid/end July). It was horrible and there was talk of shutting it down due to lack of snow. It dumped down the week after we left (which seems to be a pattern).

We used to go mid-August but didn't like double digit temperatures and slush in the afternoons, so started going mid to late July and then ran into lack of snow and heaps of ice. We've just been a bit unlucky recently I suppose, but even a bad ski trip beats a good day at work.

mr likes this.
  11. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah we just totally scored, august 4-11 i think. Completely assed it. Flew into QT, snow at lake level. First day skiing coronet, deep dry fresh. 2 days later remarks, less deep, but very dry. Over to cardrona, aussie hard pack / corn day, still no wind. Last day cardrona, new snow but after skiing some freshies they shut due to vis but we know we just got lucky

12. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

That's the thing with NZ though, so frustratingly variable, for everyone who experienced a certain field as a patchy ice rink in zero visibility with mediocre facilities, someone else experienced it dry and boot deep on a bluebird day with mates!

nezumi likes this.
  13. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yep, it's hit or miss each year. August is normally a good bet, even early September for the corn harvest or later season snow systems with no crowds. I too have experienced low snow years where Canterbury hills had little snow and the southern lakes had fantastic snow and vice versa. For many years we had the kids in tow so always booked 2 weeks months in advance, so just took what came our way. However now, seeing they have finished schooling and doing there own things, we play it by ear and go if the season is going along well. Edit: Have you been to Perisher before?

14. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

Corn harvest?

15. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Spring corn snow.
    The next best snow after powder.
    Creamy consistency, hero turn snow.

Dumphfish likes this.
  16. BMWRX

BMWRX Addicted

With where the world is at the moment, I'm not holding out hope that I'll be able to fly into NZ within the next four/five months, so my question may be a moot point. However, will Victoria be likely to allow the fields to be opened this season, as I believe that restrictions on movements may last six to twelve months to fully get on top of the virus?

I kitted up strong at the Snow Central sale on the weekend (Underwood store closing down). It looks like my new goggles, pants and poles won't get a run until the northern winter (assuming they will be open by then).

17. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Stuck in Qld indefinitely........beautiful one day, perfect the next, burb!