1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Queenstown 13th - 22nd July

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by soza, Jul 18, 2018.

1. soza

soza One of Us

Half the way into our Queenstown holiday and I cant believe we didn’t do this sooner.

4 hours drive from home and our local ski fields and its a world apart in so many ways. Sure its busy as its school holidays and I think we made the right choice staying out of town at lower Shotover but saying that its been nothing no way near as pain full as weekend skiing at Mt Hutt.

I did an avalanche awareness course through Queenstown mountain guides on the Friday and highly recommend the training. The day was spent up at the Remarkables and this gave easy quick access to the type of terrain that can get you in trouble. Learned lots and its certainly put some fear into me and that’s got to be a good thing.

As we have the NZski pass we will be sticking to Coronet and the Remarks, we also have friends in town over from Aussie doing a learn to ski package. Such a good package deal….kids full day ski school with lunch $100 a day, adults learn to ski not much more with a season pass upgrade for $100 at the end. As complete beginners you cant fault the setup and instructors and its been great to see them progress and finish a day absolutely shattered but so content.

Both resorts offer lots of variety for intermediate and advanced riders and we have had a blast exploring both fields, not sure if I have a preference. Remarks for different aspects and terrain off shadow basin, but then Coronets bowls and hidden `lunch rocks` offer a nice unusual playground.

I will add a heap of photos as the weather has been picture perfect. Starting late toady as going right through until 9pm with the night skiing.

Summit, Dumphfish, Froff Life and 2 others like this.
  2. soza

soza One of Us

Amazing what you can do with cheap crap bought from ebay.
    Night boarding Coronet Peak

3. soza

soza One of Us

perfect weather so far

Snowdayyy, Summit, Dumphfish and 2 others like this.
  4. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

The first photo wye creek saddle? Love it up there and so close to the resort.

soza likes this.
  5. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Coronet Peak will be so damn good tomorrow. Damnit.

soza likes this.
  6. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Jackal Saddle. Wye Saddle is the other side above alta.