1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Queenstown August 2018 Remarks, Coronet Peak and TC

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Sage Oya, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Part 1

Arrived back in Sydney last night after an epic short trip over to Queenstown with Marcelle.

Wanted to firstly say a big thank you to everyone who passed on their tips and recommendations for our trip as they really helped me with my planning and allowed us to get the most out of our 5 days.

Saturday 18/08/18:
    We departed Sydney on the 10am flight and enjoyed clear skies flying into Queenstown arriving around 3pm. Zipped over to Apex rentals and picked up the hire car before shooting up to Coronet Peak to catch the night skiing session. Enjoyed a spectacular sunset and a few turns before heading back to QT for dinner at the Bunker (food was excellent and we’ll definitely go back next trip).

Sunday 19/08/18:
    I’d told Marcelle that we’d go to the Remarkables to ski Sunday but unbeknownst to her I’d actually booked a heli trip out to Milford Sound. I waited until the last minute before telling her not to put on her ski pants as I had planned a day off. She had broken her rib two weeks prior at Thredbo and so I thought it was a good cover story. 10 minutes later (9:15am) the shuttle picked us up from our accommodation and she realized something was up (though she thought it was strange I let her sleep in past sunrise as I normally drag her out of bed to make first lifts).

Arrived at the airport and flew out to Fiordland National Park before landing on the Tutoko Glacier. I took her aside and managed to remember all the things I wanted to say before taking a knee and asking her to marry me. She said yes thankfully and I didn’t drop the ring in the snow lol.

It was an epic moment for both of us and I was over the moon that the weather played ball and we had the perfect backdrop. Afterwards we took off again and flew over to Milford Sound before looping back to the airport. The views were amazing and it was totally worth the asking price.

Post flight it was time for phone calls to family and friends before a debrief and a long boozy lunch at Public.

Dinner was at Ivy and Lola's which was pretty nice but ended up being the least favorite of the places we dined at. Didn't matter though as we were both riding high on the days events.
    Continued in part 2

chunky, soza, Centago and 9 others like this.
  2. Sage Oya

Part 2

Monday 20/08/18

Got up early and headed up to the Remarkables to ski. The weather was clear and we hiked up to the lookout spot above the shadow basin chair. The lookout had been my plan b proposal spot had the weather not worked out for the heli flight. The views were amazing but I was glad plan A had come together.

We both enjoyed the terrain the remarks had on offer and we managed to ski most of the resort. After lunch I left Marcelle for a bit and hiked out the back access gate and up towards the start of the elevator and escalator runs. It was hard slog getting up there but definitely worth it. The run back down was great.

Left the remarks at 4:30 before heading back into QT for dinner at Rata. The food didn’t disappoint and we spent the rest of the night debating which runs were the most enjoyable.

#2 Sage Oya, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    chunky, soza, Centago and 5 others like this.
  3. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Amazing! I’m so jealous

Sage Oya likes this.
  4. Sage Oya

Part 3

Tuesday 21/08/18

Woke up early and jumped into the car to drive up to Wanaka to go skiing at Treble Cone. The drive over the Crown range was spectacular and thankfully our journey only took 1.5hrs. We decided to drive up from the bottom gate at TC and had fun negotiating the sketchy goat track-esque road that brings you up to the base lift. They had 3cm overnight so the drive up wasn’t too bad though I think I would probably take the shuttle up if it was icy or really dumping. The light dusting over night made for some nice early runs and as the day progressed the cloud cover lifted and we were able to enjoy the views. Had lunch in the cafeteria and loved the smoked American style BBQ on offer. Notably, TC was the only resort where the food on the mountain wasn’t dreadful.

Both of us rated TC as the pick of the resorts and loved skiing all of the basin areas, especially the saddle basin. The mine shaft, cloud nine and the shooter were our favorites. I didn’t get a chance to go into the Motatapu basin though as I thought the walk out would be too taxing for Marcelle with her rib and I’d already left on her own the day before to go out of bounds.

Made sure we were out of the car park by 4pm before driving back to QT for dinner at the Sherwood where we stayed. Food was tasty and we made use of the sauna to sooth the muscles.

#4 Sage Oya, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    chunky and Untele-whippet like this.
  5. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Woohoo big congrats.
    Happy future to you both!

Dumphfish and Sage Oya like this.
  6. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

Bunker doesn’t disappoint neither does Botswana Butchery,
    The Out of gate stuff around TC is pretty serious and needs a full avi kit and training but if you have these it’s pretty amazing

Sage Oya likes this.
  7. Sage Oya

Part 4 (final)

Wednesday 22/08/18
    On our last day we checked out of the Sherwood and drove over to Gibbston Valley to check out the wineries. Stopped in at Chad Farm and thoroughly enjoyed their wines. They had a great Riesling, Sav Blanc and all of their Pinot Noirs were delicious. Sent a few bottles home for the cellar as a nice memento.

After Chad Farm we drove over to the Gibbston Valley Winery for brunch. Their onsite cheesery was great with the pick being their blue. The winery was a bit too touristy though and I didn’t rate their wines as anything too special. We didn’t taste any of their more premium wines as I’m always a bit put off by places that charge big dollars just for a taste.

After that it was back to the airport to drop off the hire car and fly home. All in all it was a fantastic trip and one I’m sure we won’t forget anytime soon. Though it was predominantly blue birds and ironically dumping at Thredbo whilst we were there, given my proposal came off perfectly the rest was gravy. Heading to Thredbo tomorrow night :p

We’ll definitely be heading back over to NZ for another visit before too long as I’d like more time at Treble Cone and also to hit Cardrona.

That’s all for now :thumbs:

Tanuki likes this.
  8. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Great TR Sage, congratulations to you and your fiancée!

How beautiful is flying into QT with clear weather!

Sage Oya likes this.
  9. Sage Oya

Thank you! It really was stunning flying in. We can’t wait to go back :p

Froff Life likes this.
  10. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Nice one. FYI, it's not actually called the Tutoko Glacier (there is no such thing), it's the Ngapunatoru Ice Plateau. A (rough) translation being "the flow branches"/"the branching flow", which presumably reflects the fact that ice flows down off the plateau in several directions. The Te Reo name actually reflects a fairly astute observation.

Tutoko is the name of the mountain in the background of your proposal shot (congrats!), and was named for a local Maori Chief. It also hosts some of the more technical (especially in winter conditions) alpine climbing routes around, it's a serious bit of mountain. It's a real shame that the companies flying tourists up there are playing fast and loose with the nomenclature, Ngapunatoru is not that hard to pronounce!

Sage Oya likes this.
  11. 1dayasalion

1dayasalion Hard Yards

If you wanna get really pedantic, the Ngai Tahu call it Topuni as they don't really get down with naming prominent features after individual people. A Topuni was a cloak made for the tribal chief who was the only person allowed to wear it so the name is still a nod to Chief Tutoko in essence. Tutoko was a popular training area for Sir Ed before his Everest mission as well.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Sage, congrats on the awesome trip and engagement!

Sage Oya and Red_switch like this.
  12. Sage Oya

Haha, all good! I was actually trying to work out its correct name as it's obviously a special place for us now. Cheers for the heads up! :p

Tanuki likes this.
  13. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Follow through. Have the reception there.

14. Sage Oya

A Queenstown wedding would be amazing but might be hard to take some of the older family members there as some are a bit past flying. Thinking the Hunter Valley at the moment but need to see what Marcelle wants, happy wife happy life.:p

A ski honeymoon though would be great but i'd love to head up to the northern hemisphere again :D

15. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

That's the beauty of the scheme. Winnowing numbers.

TropicalPow and Sage Oya like this.