Queenstown vs Wanaka base for a season

Cat_Herder

Hard Yards
Jan 12, 2015
Tossing up between these two for the upcoming season (assuming I'm able to land a job) and was after the 2 cents of people here. Would really love to have Treble Cone as my main resort/employment, but based on past trips I think I'd prefer the bit more energetic vibe in Queenstown - which way would you guys go?

Also, probably a very dumb question, but would living in Queenstown and commuting to TC be realistic in winter or just daft to try?

ShavedBadger

Consumer of Eggs
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
In my 20's? Queenstown. Now (late 30's, kids/wife)? Arrowtown, then Wanaka.

PS The commute to TC every day would be in the region of 90 minutes, without consideration given to snowy roads etc, I reckon 3 hours extra on top of the working day would be a monumental PITA.

Heinz

Have skis, will travel - Once borders open again..
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Depends on your priorities, skiing vs party vibe. If you want TC to be your main resort, then definitely Wanaka. Commuting to TC from Queenstown is certainly possible but would quickly be a PITA after a short time.

Reactions: LMB and Sage Oya

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Queenstown has issues finding accommodation for staff. Due to the myriad of adventure pursuits there.

Reactions: LMB and Ozgirl

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
[QUOTE
Tossing up between these two for the upcoming season (assuming I'm able to land a job) and was after the 2 cents of people here. Would really love to have Treble Cone as my main resort/employment, but based on past trips I think I'd prefer the bit more energetic vibe in Queenstown - which way would you guys go?

Also, probably a very dumb question, but would living in Queenstown and commuting to TC be realistic in winter or just daft to try?
As things stand you’ll be doing two weeks in quarantine when you arrive. As for commuting between QT to TC believe me you’ll grow sick of that commute very quickly. Driving long distance just to go skiing sucks big time.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Even on a week long trip, a few days of QT to TC gets old real quick. Wanaka also makes for a better trip to cardies. Other than the ski resorts it really depends on what you want your life to be. Most on the forum would probably err away from the energy of QT but that could be important to you

Reactions: LMB

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
As a employee. There is zero guarantee you'd be in QT Central anyway.
Its prime real estate.
Like many places in the world the seasonal workers end up in their own community.

Reactions: LMB and cold wombat

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
What is it about Ophir? I like quirky places. It looks small and quiet - but a bit of a drive to anywhere, but also to lots of good places.

edit: and in a life weirdness thing, today Insta shows me Mark Nichols' Valda Adventure Van on the Bridge at Ophir!
You should go there. The Maniototo is great. Good ski touring nearby. No crowds (whatsoever). Good mtb at Naseby.

Reactions: climberman

Billy Bob

Hard Yards
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Just had a look at the town of Lake Hawea on StreetView and it looks like a hidden gem, similar to QT or Wanaka scenery wise but without the crowds. I'm not a snow sports enthusiast- just a snow enthusiast. I'm a big fan of the lower South Island's scenery and climate.

Wouldn't this all be contingent on the loosening of COVID-19 restrictions, though?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass