1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question on buying skis and boots for young kids...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by flippa, Apr 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

Hi,

I was hoping that someone with young kids might be be able to give some advice. I have 4 young kids (6,5,3,1) and we have 3 ski trips booked this year (5 days, 5 days, 10 days).

Right now there are some good deals on overseas sites, and I was considering buying ski setups for the 2 older kids. So skis, bindings, boots and helmets. This would be instead of hiring. I can probably get a single setup for around $400 AUD, which is probably roughly s= the same amount I we would spend on rental this year.

The only question is whether my kids will grow out of it too quickly and whether I should bother. Some considerations are:
    - The younger children will eventually be able to use these setups too, hopefully bringing down cost per use
    - carting this stuff around is theoretically a hassle, but I have a double ski roller bag so could easily fit their stuff in there with mine.

My main reservation is that they will grow out of it too quickly.

Any thought or advice appreciated!

Thanks

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

There’s a pretty good market for 2nd hand kids gear. And you have plenty of hand me down opportunities. Buy.

Chaeron, Snowfi and flippa like this.
  3. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

If you're in Canberra get along to the ACT Snowsports second hand sale in May at the Old Bus Depot. Also take a look at the Roces kids ski boots. They expand in size so should get a few years out of them. Also a reasonably healthy secondhand market for them.

Snowfi, Snowy Joey and flippa like this.
  4. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You are exactly the type of person these packages are designed for. We have eked incredible value out of these (particularly the boots). Buy in 'neutral' colours so that they can be handed down between boys and girls.

skiflat, Snowy Joey and flippa like this.
  5. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I recently made the call to grab a snowboard for my 3 year old. We're planning on having another one soon, so I figure we'll get about 6 years in total out of the board. Boots, annoyingly, are the more "consumable" item for kids - I'm keen to buy some, but I want to wait until we're close to our trip to ensure that he doesn't have a growth spurt.

For me, him having his own gear makes me more inclined to take him up to Lake Mountain/Donna Buang/Baw Baw for a little play on the hill.

Chaeron and flippa like this.
  6. Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Having 4 kids, eldest is now 17. I highly recommend the Roces ski boot. They have lasted right up untill they were younger to mid- teens and needed a more technical boot. Kids have never complained whilst wearing them. They grow with them, the bigger ones up to 25.5. And they now come with a power strap, making them even better.

7. PG2736

PG2736 Hard Yards

Definitely buy. We get 2-3 seasons out of gear for each of our children, then it gets handed down to the next child and eventually sold. Plus avoid the hassle of having to hire which is worth every dollar!

Chaeron and flippa like this.
  8. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Another vote for Roces .

If you can get to Jindy for the ski sale , June long weekend.

Well worth it.

Especially if you get there early.

skiflat and flippa like this.
  9. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

LM has Burton Riglets lessons for littlies on boards from 3 years of age. Could be good for a couple of lessons before hitting the big hills. Oh - there's a magic carpet in the lesson area.

10. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

In our double roller, we fit our 2 pair of skis, plus the kids 100cm and 120cm skis, and their 21.5 boots and a small size roces. Plus 3 pair poles, came in at 24.9kg, perfect for the 25kg allowed by jetstar.

+1 for the roces.
    +1 for second hand skis

flippa likes this.
  11. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I've seen that before, as well as their terrain park. This year is the first time we'll have a chance to properly get on the mountain with him.

flippa likes this.
  12. Snowfi

Snowfi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We brought mix of new (boots) and used after the kids had been skiing one os trip and one aus winter. I waited till I knew they (hubby and kids) were hooked. Kids were 8 and 6 at that point. Used brought from ACT snowsports expo and other forum members.

We also sell what we've finished using to help fund next purchases.

I was surprised how slow their heads grow. Miss 13 has only had two helmets from 6 to now... only needs a new one because she cracked the last one with a big fall.

flippa likes this.
  13. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

Thanks for all your great responses. The roces definitely sounds like the way to go. I'm now just wondering about ski size. For example my 6 year old is 119cm but quite light. Ski chart suggests 100-100cm cm. Would it be OK to buy some 112cm's? Plus size is he hill grow into them but I thought that small skis might be more maneoverable while learning. he can do a good pizza and ski a basic home run.

or maybe i'm overthinking it...

14. chicski

Definitely overthinking ;) At that age the most important thing is graphics LOL

zac150, BoofHead, Chaeron and 3 others like this.
  15. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Roces here too.

First pair lasted three seasons. Just moved to the next size.

Best thing is that boot size changes without a need to tweek the bindings as boot sole length is constant.

Skis can hand em down. With the number of days you are doing it will come in cheaper or similar to hiring without the bullshit.

flippa likes this.
  16. Snow Blowey

This - just went through this with my daughter again. "I like the pink ones dad".

zac150 and chicski like this.
  17. PG2736

PG2736 Hard Yards

The Salomon kids boots for ~$129 have been sensational for our kids. They last for ages...and have never had any issues with the kids having cold or sore feet.

18. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Gone through that to, both girls, except the youngest has now said she no longer wants to recieve hand me downs from her older sister. Dammit they're only 8 and 10, thought I had a couple more years before that kicked in.

19. Snow Blowey

Thats easy. If they don't want hand me downs they can buy their own, or stay at home!

Says father of one. ;)

currawong, chicski and Chaeron like this.
  20. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

This is why it's important to buy second hand to start with - that way, no-one can complain about getting hand-me-downs when (older sibling) gets new gear.

currawong and Chaeron like this.
  21. Snow Blowey

I can hire out for "you lucky little bastards" style pep talks to your kids if they want to get picky about gear. FFS we couldn't even afford to go skiing when i were a wee lad.................

22. chicski

Like the conversation with my (late teen) kids who didn’t want to fly to USA on Xmas day (scored FF flights that day only). You can guess my response :rolleyes:

Snow Blowey and currawong like this.
  23. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You get two Christmas days?

zac150 likes this.
  24. silva

silva One of Us

If you cant get to any of the second hand sales Level nine sports currently have Roces boots on sale for US$99.
    https://www.levelninesports.com/roces-2019-idea-adjustable-kids-ski-boots
    Your 8 year old might even have big enough feet for the large size boots which start at 22.5cm. (also on sale for $99)
    https://www.levelninesports.com/roces-idea-free-adjustable-kids-ski-boots-2019
    Grab some skis for $59 and bindings for $49 (they will mount them for you) and you are all set.
    They do good prices on brand name helmets as well.
    Have used them several times - no hassles

zac150 and flippa like this.
  25. chicski

Well yes that and the other one ;)

26. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

All ordered guys, thanks again for all the advice.

Helmets/goggles from backcountry.com. Roces boots from levelninesports.com and skis/bindings from snowleader.co.uk.

I can also highly recommend freezeproshop.com but didn't use them this time.

Thanks!

FatBoyDave, nezumi and currawong like this.
  27. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

How did you go with Backcountry? I've found them to be particularly difficult with certain brands and shipping to Australia. Did you use a forwarding company?

28. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Hard Yards

I've used myus.com to ship from Backcountry. Bought a pair of ski boots from them.

Freight to myus.com (in Florida) is free for most retailers - inc Backcountry.com.

Some recognise the exempt zip code of myus.com's suite address and don't charge sales tax. I'm afraid that Backcountry.com is not one of them.

Myus.com will charge Oz GST on the cost of goods and freight - which has to be done these days. The freight charges to Australia are reasonable.

29. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

Yes they have a lot of brand restrictions with international shipping, the list is here. I use Shopmate by Australia Post for forwarding.

30. davec1

davec1 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Level9 all the way.

For ski sizes it's not a big issue and you are over thinking. My daughter is 7y.o and 122cm, she's on a 120cm ski this year. Ideally 110cm might be better but it won't have any real impact on her. She's just cruising around doing snowplow most of the time.

As others mentioned, her favourite feature of the ski's is that they are purple. (ski colour and aesthetics are still a large factor when her mum chooses her own adult skis).

112cm will be fine for you and good for next year also.

We find the Level9 Nuggie's (neck warmers) a very useful and cheap addition also - usually only $2. They're the right thickness, good for windy days to protect your face and don't cause overheating. Buy a few spares as kids suck on them and get them drenched, and leave them at ski school.

flippa likes this.
  31. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

Keep in mind with the Roces that the listed sizes are very generous. I bought a second hand pair in the largest size range for my older son last year, and when I got them, I could fit my own feet in them with wiggle room. My own boots are a Mondo 23.5 (yes I have tiny feet), so that gives you some idea of the generosity of the Roces sizing. Both of my boys have the same size feet, and they can fit their feet in the middle size range Roces boots on the second smallest setting.

32. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It's great that you found something that worked for you.
    I have used Roces boots for my 12 yo since she was 4. In that time we have gone through 3 pairs of Roces boots and while they aren't the snuggest of fits they are fit for purpose.
    As previously mentioned at this age colour and graphics of the skis is the most important thing. However.... I would argue, don't be too stingy and be tempted to buy up too big a size ski as it will make their progression that much more difficult. Although with fully rockered skis you can get away with a little bit more length.

33. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Hey @flippa can I ask if you tried an Australian ski shop for your purchases?

I'm in the industry and I support our local industry. That being said I understand the budget and the need to save dollars and the big overseas e-tailers provide well in this area.

It's more out of interest sake. Are people trying to buy locally or doing the research online then taking that info into a shop and asking for a price match or at least close to or are they just going straight to the web and buying?

34. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

One problem with buying local is that often they don't have the range. For example I'm pretty sure that no one stocks the Roces boots in Australia and yet clearly there is a market for them. Then there is obviously the price difference. Even with the GST(Gerry harvey Support Tax) added for some businesses the differential is still significant.

Born2skii and nezumi like this.
  35. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Yeah I understand the Roces. I resisted the urge to state that in my initial post. Most stores can access them but because they don't sell in volume in Australia holding them in stock is a risk.
    The price difference is not as relevant if you approach the store. Would you pay a slight premium for the local support, warranty etc. and if so what would you be prepared to pay for that?

36. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

My counter to the warranty issue is to question how often does hardware get returned for warranty issues (and I mean genuine warranty issues not where someone tears a edge out in the park and tries to claim warranty, with I was just skiing and it totally ripped out) ? I know it happens, but it is pretty rare these days (I only know of one in nearly 30 years of skiing) and for a lot people purchasing from OS not having a local warranty is probably worth the risk if the price is good enough.

With modern manufacturing and quality control I think warranty is probably not as important as it once was. Even recalls are rare and I doubt you would be refused support because something was bought OS.

I think good customer service, especially for people new to the sport, is worth it. I would even say vital for boots and for your first one or two pairs of skis or boards. However a key problem is that too often the staff in Australian stores are not that good. I've had my wife fitted for boots that just didn't fit (too the extent she took them off half way down Hypertrail and stood in the snow barefeet) I've seen people advised towards skis where it was clear the sales assistant just didn't know what they were talking about, or they weren't listening.

Mind you I don't think this just a ski industry issue. Retail just isn't seen as a career in Australia and thus people do it before moving to a "proper job" and owners often don't develop staff because there is a churn from the progression to a proper job. Hot tip for retailers ,if a male walks into a shop, picks something and starts looking at the price tags seriously 75+% of the time they are ready to buy as most men dislike shopping. Sales assistants get out from the counter and engage with them.

DPS Driver likes this.
  37. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

On top of that, how often is warranty honoured? I had a bicycle frame fail, and the manufacturer insisted that I had been in a collision, but I hadn't. All the talk of local support means nothing if there's no actual support.

38. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I brought skis from @CarveMan and had great service and would happily buy again. I’ve brought locally in Canberra from Straightline and had great service and aftersale service is awesome (wax skis for free), as is carvemans but I’m in Canberra so not so close. Obviously would never buy boots o/s. I’m happy to buy my skis locally as I’ll hold them 4 years.

But kids skis in Australia seem $$$. I think many shops have a preference to the season lease system and this is where I think they let themselves down. I think if someone stocked the Roces here in Aus they would actually do okay especially if they added the right deal with them (like a special on skis or a annual boot fitting - not needed but anything to get people in the store).

My son started skiing as a 2 year old we brought a set of Roces and k2 skis, he is now 7. He has had a second set of skis so total on skis and boots I have spent is $550 aud I have sold his gear over the years for $280 so I’m $270 out of pocket for 4.5 years so $60 a year and we ski 20 plus days a year (highest 30 days). The same skis under season lease is $250 a year!

DPS Driver and flippa like this.
  39. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

The main reason for buying overseas is that there is a much larger range to choose from. On certain items such as kids ski clothing, or backcountry accessories, a large range matters. I have found that when you factor in exchange rate and shipping, cost is roughly the same (when buying end of season sales) but it is worth it for the larger range. I plan on buying my wife ski boots locally.

DPS Driver likes this.
  40. craighelo

craighelo One of Us

Normally though it isn't a slight premium you are paying, often if you had a warranty issue you could buy another of the same product and still be ahead of the Aus/NZ price without having to try and convince the retailer you had a genuine fault.

41. Jonkl

Jonkl Early Days

I am thinking to get my little girl (turning 5 in Jan) a ski set with boots as well, can you point me to the right direction to source them overseas and what sort of price range is reasonable?
    Both me and my partner are fairly new to snowboarding but the little shredder likes ski, so we don't have much idea on the ski package area.
    Many thanks
    Jo

Chaeron likes this.
  42. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Buy on mountain after renting...

43. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Look at level 9 sports, they have the expandable Roces boots and ski packages. Skis are new albeit the designs are a season or two old. You will pick something up for around the $300 mark.

I aim to get skis to the kids nose for year one, that way I get two years from the ski.

44. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I bought skis and Roces boots from level9 for my 9 yr old at the beginning of the season. The skis were Defiance brand which I think may be a Level9 own brand. Both the boots and skis have worked well and should go for the next couple of seasons as I got the skis a bit longer than she would ordinarily have.

45. Jonkl

Jonkl Early Days

The pro shop at the resort or other ski shops nearby?

46. Jonkl

Jonkl Early Days

Thanks for the helpful insights. Both you and @zac150 mentioned getting a skis bit longer like up to the nose. Would it hinder my daughter's progress as she's still learning and may not have the skills or muscle to control a longer skiis?

47. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Depends. Absolutely it can hinder development if the ski is too long. It is not optimal for a 5 year old new to skiing to have a ski that is up to her nose.

southpaw likes this.
  48. Jonkl

Jonkl Early Days

I had a quick look on the website and the skis + boots package they have is over $400 AuD shipping included...how did you get one so cheap haha

49. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep. In my daughters case she had 2 good seasons under her belt and is also strong for her age. So I judged it would be fine for her to deal with slightly longer skis, but it really depends on the child.

50. Jonkl

Jonkl Early Days

Thanks, yeah I think I will try to stick around the 90cm range as she's learning now on 80cm ones.