Question on Salomon Shift binding

flippa

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2017
Does anyone know the answer to this question on the toe piece of the shift binding?

If I have a full touring boot such as Scarpa Maestrale RS, when I am in downhill mode in the shift binding, am I clicked into the toe piece in alpine mode, or am I clicked in as I would with pin bindings?

My wife is keen to get her own setup and I am considering an alpine or a touring setup. I was wondering with the shift if it would just feel the same as a normal alpine setup to her?

My own full time ski is faction 105/Marker Kingpin/Scarpa Maestrale's. My wife would not tour that often but it would be great if she was ready to go!

tks

Team Weasel

One of Us
Sep 19, 2015
when I am in downhill mode in the shift binding, am I clicked into the toe piece in alpine mode, or am I clicked in as I would with pin bindings?

Like an alpine binding. Pins are retracted out of the way until you activate tour mode.

My wife is keen to get her own setup and I am considering an alpine or a touring setup. I was wondering with the shift if it would just feel the same as a normal alpine setup to her?

They are pretty damn heavy for touring. I've used them a lot, and might use them more for resort only this season. Unless you're hucking or skiing super hard, I think they are overkill for a lot of ski touring. Having said that, I did love the power transmission and how they reduced chatter on steep icy stuff.

Take a look at the Tecton 12. Is probably the best compromise between power transmission / safety / weight in that class at the moment. I'd avoid Kingpins and frame bindings entirely.

She could also rent something with full pin tech bindings to see how she feels on them. You can still do heaps with them, and without the burdensome weight for the up.

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
Does anyone know the answer to this question on the toe piece of the shift binding?

If I have a full touring boot such as Scarpa Maestrale RS, when I am in downhill mode in the shift binding, am I clicked into the toe piece in alpine mode, or am I clicked in as I would with pin bindings?

My own full time ski is faction 105/Marker Kingpin/Scarpa Maestrale's. My wife would not tour that often but it would be great if she was ready to go!

tks
They would feel the same as an alpine setup. Don't forget that to tour in Shifts you need to have a boot with tech toes for the pins. Frame bindings are obviously not as good for touring but they do at least have the virtue of enabling someone to tour in boots which do not have tech toe fittings.

Reactions: Team Weasel

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Great to see some competition to the Shift. I purchased the Shift for this season but getting boots in for a wider foot with the Tech Binding insert has proven difficult. Solomon QST Pro boots (100-106mm width after heating) are the widest I can find but now come in two versions. The one with Tech Binding inserts for the Shift (TR) is not ranged by anyone in Oz (that I can find) and you can't buy them overseas so you have to purchase a separate heel that contains the insert. More pieces to the puzzle!
Gotta love a brand called BAM!

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
Great to see some competition to the Shift. I purchased the Shift for this season but getting boots in for a wider foot with the Tech Binding insert has proven difficult. Solomon QST Pro boots (100-106mm width after heating) are the widest I can find but now come in two versions. The one with Tech Binding inserts for the Shift (TR) is not ranged by anyone in Oz (that I can find) and you can't buy them overseas so you have to purchase a separate heel that contains the insert. More pieces to the puzzle!
Gotta love a brand called BAM!
Have you had a look at Scarpa AT boots? I have fairly wide feet and Scarpa Maestrale's accommodate them quite well.

Reactions: Jacko4650

Team Weasel

One of Us
Sep 19, 2015
Where does one rent this kind of equipment here in Vic?

I know Bumps has some stuff, but it ain't cheap. I might start doing rentals with all the gear I've acquired :nerd:

Great to see some competition to the Shift.

Good on them for having a go, but it's 2.6kg for the pair...which is almost a kilo more than Shift, and about half a kg heavier than CAST. I think ATK has something in development in this category, and you'd think Dynafit would have something in the works too - Salomon/Atomic/and friends are crushing it in comparison at the moment.

The one with Tech Binding inserts for the Shift (TR) is not ranged by anyone in Oz (that I can find) and you can't buy them overseas so you have to purchase a separate heel that contains the insert.

Shift only needs toe tech fittings - an ordinary alpine heel is all you need at the back (no pin contraption needed). I'm pretty sure the CAST guys still can add tech toes to any boot. You send them your boot, they install tech toes, and send them back. Could be an option if you have Sasquatch hooves.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass