1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Salomon Shift binding

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by flippa, May 14, 2019.

1. flippa

flippa Hard Yards

Does anyone know the answer to this question on the toe piece of the shift binding?

If I have a full touring boot such as Scarpa Maestrale RS, when I am in downhill mode in the shift binding, am I clicked into the toe piece in alpine mode, or am I clicked in as I would with pin bindings?

My wife is keen to get her own setup and I am considering an alpine or a touring setup. I was wondering with the shift if it would just feel the same as a normal alpine setup to her?

My own full time ski is faction 105/Marker Kingpin/Scarpa Maestrale's. My wife would not tour that often but it would be great if she was ready to go!

tks

2. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

3. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Like an alpine binding. Pins are retracted out of the way until you activate tour mode.

They are pretty damn heavy for touring. I've used them a lot, and might use them more for resort only this season. Unless you're hucking or skiing super hard, I think they are overkill for a lot of ski touring. Having said that, I did love the power transmission and how they reduced chatter on steep icy stuff.

Take a look at the Tecton 12. Is probably the best compromise between power transmission / safety / weight in that class at the moment. I'd avoid Kingpins and frame bindings entirely.

She could also rent something with full pin tech bindings to see how she feels on them. You can still do heaps with them, and without the burdensome weight for the up.

4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

^^^^ What he said.

Chaeron and Team Weasel like this.
  5. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

They would feel the same as an alpine setup. Don't forget that to tour in Shifts you need to have a boot with tech toes for the pins. Frame bindings are obviously not as good for touring but they do at least have the virtue of enabling someone to tour in boots which do not have tech toe fittings.

Team Weasel likes this.
  6. Rick Ross Da Boss

Love my Tecton :love:

Untele-whippet likes this.
  7. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

8. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Where does one rent this kind of equipment here in Vic?

9. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Great to see some competition to the Shift. I purchased the Shift for this season but getting boots in for a wider foot with the Tech Binding insert has proven difficult. Solomon QST Pro boots (100-106mm width after heating) are the widest I can find but now come in two versions. The one with Tech Binding inserts for the Shift (TR) is not ranged by anyone in Oz (that I can find) and you can't buy them overseas so you have to purchase a separate heel that contains the insert. More pieces to the puzzle!
    Gotta love a brand called BAM!

10. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have you had a look at Scarpa AT boots? I have fairly wide feet and Scarpa Maestrale's accommodate them quite well.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  11. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

I know Bumps has some stuff, but it ain't cheap. I might start doing rentals with all the gear I've acquired :nerd:

Good on them for having a go, but it's 2.6kg for the pair...which is almost a kilo more than Shift, and about half a kg heavier than CAST. I think ATK has something in development in this category, and you'd think Dynafit would have something in the works too - Salomon/Atomic/and friends are crushing it in comparison at the moment.

Shift only needs toe tech fittings - an ordinary alpine heel is all you need at the back (no pin contraption needed). I'm pretty sure the CAST guys still can add tech toes to any boot. You send them your boot, they install tech toes, and send them back. Could be an option if you have Sasquatch hooves.

Hermannator and Zeroz like this.
  12. Rick Ross Da Boss

Pullins at Mansfield has kingpins mounted to K2 waybacks for rent

Hermannator likes this.
  13. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Worth another look that's for sure.