Questions about Hotham & 4WD & Chains

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by bradw, Aug 4, 2018.

1. bradw

bradw Hard Yards

Hi All,

I'm a long time Perisher skier in a 4WD coming to Hotham next weekend, and have a few questions for the experienced Hotham people.

We'll be getting chains at Hoy's in Harrietville (don't need them in NSW). The forecast shows that it's quite likely going to be snowing on the way up on Friday night - probably leaving Harrietville about 5pm.

My questions are :

1) If chains are required for 4WD, is there a huge queue for the Hoy's fitting service, or is it better to get cold and wet by doing it myself?

2) We'll be driving through Hotham to Dinner Plain. How will I know where to take the chains off?

3) Probably going to Omeo for dinner on Saturday and Sunday nights. What are the chances of needing chains again from DP to Omeo and back?

I think that's it, but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Brad.

2. BrewerGrrrrrl

BrewerGrrrrrl Hard Yards

hi brad. there usually isnt a queue.they are quick and its a free service if you hire from then.
    hoys have an awesome facebook feed with updates on where/when to fit chains and road conditions.
    They do a great job.
    it is very rare for 4wd to require chains from hotham to DP. Once in 4years.
    Usually take em off at hotham/once parked.

3. bradw

bradw Hard Yards

Thanks for the reply.
    Looks like the forecast has changed, and it won't be snowing driving up the hill on Friday, unless the forecast changes again.

4. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I've never needed chains with a legitimate 4wd up Hotham ( who knows, maybe this Wednesday is the day) if a 4wd needs chains it's highly likely that convoys will be in operation.

As brewgrrll said, Hoys offer a good service.

Re taking them off on the way to DP that may be up to your assessment of road conditions.

Small chance you'd need to fit them to get out of DP to Omeo, however if you do need to do that it's likely the snow will be awesome!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  5. PG2736

PG2736 Hard Yards

Last couple of seasons during peak season/weekends they have been much more relentless around fitting chains to “all vehicles” when coming via Harrietville. Once you get into the village you can remove and drive through to DP...very rare have to fit to a 4wd on that side.

6. snowtyres

snowtyres Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you have not been to MTH before the road condition information described in these reports, from one of the most experienced MTH drivers, may be helpful in providing an insight to GAR road conditions.
    https://snowtyres.com.au/learn/mount-hotham-tyre-trial/

7. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

Decided to buy my own chains a while back. Had to fit them to the Patrol at Hotham the same day. It is rare and I struck it on a particularly bad day. Omeo Hwy was closed with half a metre and could not go north to Mitta Mitta. Take your own ground sheet in case you end up fitting them yourself but also handy for taking them off at the carpark. Forget about the snowtyres tyre trial thing. Just looking to sell you and others tyres. Not needed. Have a good trip.

8. Slush

Slush Hard Yards

Apropos of nothing, I fitted chains coming off Hotham to Harrietville on Monday. This is the first time in 4 years / 4+ trips per year that I've fitted them. I didn't like the mix of hail like snow over frozen liquid precipitation on the road. Friday night was slushy wet snow and I didn't bother fitting on the way up.

Tyres are everything though - I have decent AT tyres. If I had road tyres I'd fit chains more often as I used to on a subaru.

And if you have an X5, please fit chains! Anecdotally the most rescued vehicle is an X5 on road tyres.
    Mike

9. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Well today was the day and all vehicles needed chains to Harrietville

Chaeron and currawong like this.