Quick Jaunt to Hakuba Valley 05-09 Feb 2017

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
Hi all,

As subject says heading to Hakuba Valley for the first time 05-09 February 2017.

Business with pleasure trip.

Looking to ski two from Happo-One, Iwatake or Tsugaike on 6th and 7th and then Ryuoo on 8th.

Fly back to Hokkaido on 9th

Answers to the following questions would be greatly appreciated

1. Better to hire car in Haneda and drive up, or train to Nagano and rent a car there?

2. Looking to stay in/near Echoland, recommendations please.
Not on a backpacker's budget
Looking for clean, en-suite or great onsen, breakfast would be a bonus
Walking distance to Echoland - we can drive to the resorts

3. Recommendations for bars and restaurants in Echoland - tourist experience and authentic Japanese please

Any other info gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Realistically, I'm not sure why you'd travel all the way to Ryuoo from Hakuba (87km), if you don't know what the conditions will be like there. i.e. If the Ropeway is on wind hold, or it's not a powder day, Ryuoo holds very little that would tempt you away from Hakuba. Without the ropeway, the slopes are short and flat.

Two days at Hakuba, when you have Happo, Goryu/47, Iwatake, Tsugaike and Cortina/Norikura, is not a good intro to Hakuba.

1. Better to hire a car at Nagano, then you get the snow tyres as standard, plus it's a long drive(300km) and the tolls are not cheap from Haneda.
2. Whitehorse
3. Hie, Zen, Nonjae (Restaurants)

Reactions: Mike Pow

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Re restaurants near echoland, as Sandy says, Hie, Zen and Nonjae. All three are great. Though I haven't been back to Hakuba since 2013. Some nice places up Wadano way and also near the train station.

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
Realistically, I'm not sure why you'd travel all the way to Ryuoo from Hakuba (87km), if you don't know what the conditions will be like there. i.e. If the Ropeway is on wind hold, or it's not a powder day, Ryuoo holds very little that would tempt you away from Hakuba. Without the ropeway, the slopes are short and flat.

Two days at Hakuba, when you have Happo, Goryu/47, Iwatake, Tsugaike and Cortina/Norikura, is not a good intro to Hakuba.

1. Better to hire a car at Nagano, then you get the snow tyres as standard, plus it's a long drive(300km) and the tolls are not cheap from Haneda.
2. Whitehorse

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Resorts are the work part. Definitely have to visit Iwatake. Ryuoo not essential if others are better.

Forecast calling for snow at Ryuoo and not Hakuba resorts when we're there though

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Resorts are the work part. Definitely have to visit Iwatake. Ryuoo not essential if others are better.

Forecast calling for snow at Ryuoo and not Hakuba resorts when we're there though

If you mean snow-forecast.com, it's not very good for predicting snow in central Japan. For example, last week it predicted 8cm at Nozawa on Sunday night/ Monday morning at the top and there was 28cm.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Last edited:

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
If you mean snow-forecast.com, it's not very good for predicting snow in central Japan. For example, last week it predicted 8cm at Nozawa on Sunday night/ Monday morning at the top and there was 28cm.

Good to know.

For Hokkaido, wind speed and freezing level very accurate; snowfall nearly always underpredicted.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Good to know.

For Hokkaido, wind speed and freezing level very accurate; snowfall nearly always underpredicted.
Snow-forecast is better for Hokkaido, because it has less "lake effect" snow. Snow-forecast doesn't pick up "lake effect" snow at all well for central Japan.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Snowforecast.com is basically GFS data applied to a digital elevation model. This produces better freezing levels than GFS alone. They also account for orographical snowfall better than GFS alone. But they do have much higher resolution on their data than GFS was designed for. Yes they take into account topography but this is stretching GFS data to levels it wasn't designed for.

Just a shame, there isn't a reasonable mesoscale model for Japan. If you like the graphics and the extra stuff that goes into topography, go for it...

BrianWilson

One of Us
Jul 20, 2009
I stayed in the Hotel Traumerei last February. Located about a 10min walk from Echoland.

I couldn't recommend this place more highly. Staff were so nice and nothing was a problem for them. Rooms were great with private bathroom and there are two private onsens onsite. Breakfast included hot pastries, coffee and some fruit.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

If you want to visit Iwatake on a powder day, the best day looks like being Tuesday 7th(at this stage).

tele keen

Hard Yards
Apr 28, 2004
Toronto
www.christmastreetruck.com.au
I'll also be doing a jaunt to Hakuba between Feb 19-24, any recommendations for somewhere to stay? Looking for essentially the cheapest I can get my own room for. Any tips for must do activities? (Other than the obvious of 'skiing') Cheers!

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I'll also be doing a jaunt to Hakuba between Feb 19-24, any recommendations for somewhere to stay? Looking for essentially the cheapest I can get my own room for. Any tips for must do activities? (Other than the obvious of 'skiing') Cheers!
Try Penke Panke. They have single rooms

Activities:
- Find powder.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Onsens, local food, temples,

Reactions: Hyst and tele keen

tele keen

Hard Yards
Apr 28, 2004
Toronto
Try Penke Panke. They have single rooms

Activities:
- Find powder.

Find powder will be primary activity. First time to Hakuba, 3rd time to Japan. I am thinking I'll try to find accomodation around Echoland area, any tips around there? I have found 2 different private rooms on Air BnB which are traditional style rooms and quite appealing rather than a hostel!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Why Echoland area? For apres ski, maybe? Not a great location imho. Great views of the ski jumps at happo .Cannot walk to lifts, bus trips to nearest ski zones at Goryu or Happo, lwatake and Tsugaike further again but totally doable. I would prefer to stay in downtown happo near main bus station or Wadano forest area ( ie. near Penke Panke). Just my opinion, others are more expert.

winter

One of Us
May 6, 2010
southern highlands, nsw

2. Whitehorse
@point 1. We just our toll charge back Haneda/Hakuba return 13,000 ¥ . Ok price for 4 travelling.

tele keen

Hard Yards
Apr 28, 2004
Toronto
Why Echoland area? For apres ski, maybe? Not a great location imho. Great views of the ski jumps at happo .Cannot walk to lifts, bus trips to nearest ski zones at Goryu or Happo, lwatake and Tsugaike further again but totally doable. I would prefer to stay in downtown happo near main bus station or Wadano forest area ( ie. near Penke Panke). Just my opinion, others are more expert.

Mainly cause my ski buddies are staying around there...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass