Quick stopover solo ski trip

Discussion in 'United States' started by Fast Eddie, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Hard Yards

This question has been partially addressed in previous threads, but I am potentially looking at a work trip to LA in Feb/March 19. The plan is to arrive 5 days early and try to get 3-4 days skiing in before I need to be in Santa Monica. I would be without a car and travelling solo, so would be looking to fly somewhere close the same day as I land in LA, with easy access to a resort. Initially I was thinking Mammoth, but then started looking at Utah resorts as they are so close to SLC airport.

What are people's thoughts? Anyone done a similar trip? If I choose Utah, is it easier to head straight to say Snowbird/Alta or stay in SLC and get a shuttle to different hills each day? Kind of like the idea of those Alta lodges as they seem quite social/inclusive as I'll be on my own.

Any other areas I should consider? Basically want to maximise ski time with the least hassle.

2. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

Without a car, flying to SLC is easier than Mammoth.

If staying in a motel in SLC, would be taking the UTA Ski Bus to Alta/Snowbird or Solitude/Brighton. Works pretty well as long as it's not a powder day. What are you doing for lift tickets?

My favorite destination out west is Alta. I'm totally spoiled by staying at Alta Lodge. Fly into SLC, get the Alta Shuttle to Alta, then spend how ever many days without having to think about anything but skiing. Breakfast and 4-course dinner included. Stopping in for a la carte lunch means being able to stick my boots in the boot dryer. Easy to make new friends at the community table at dinner time.

All of the lodges at Alta have dorm beds available for pretty reasonable rates considering the meals included. Goldminer's Daughter has a 3-night minimum, Alta Lodge is 4-night minimum. Don't know about the others. Snowpine is just completing a huge rebuild so might have a deal come Jan, assuming they open on schedule.

For more than you need to know about Alta, including terrain and travel tips:
    https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/alta

sly_karma likes this.
  3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you want to maximise ski time, stay slopeside somewhere. Don't stuff around with buses to and from the hill (even if the service is good). Alta sounds like a great option, hop on a flight to SLC, catch bus, easy.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

What MarzNC said. Utah. It is the only one that makes sense. Assuming you land mid morning in LAX you can be at SLC by late afternoon that day and in your accommodation an hour later. Canyon Transport run regular shuttles from SLC to all resorts. Denver has much longer shuttles, and almost everywhere else involves transiting through Denver or SLC. Aspen and Eagle Vail have some connections direct from LAX, but, as they are mountain airports diversions are frequent (particularly Aspen).

If you want on-snow (and you ski) look at Alta. All of the lodges there have bunk rooms which are (relatively) dirt cheap.

MarzNC likes this.
  5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Hard Yards

Really great advice. Thanks all. Loving the look of those Alta Lodges. Remind me of a cross between the NZ Club lodges and Perisher Lodges but so much better with a serious mountain right there. The commute from LAX seems straight forward too.

6. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah, Utah close to SLC would be great. Flying to Reno and catching the shuttle (an hour or so) to Squaw Valley would also be an option. You would also get to ski Alpine Meadows and you could catch the local bus to Northstar. No dorm beds at Squaw, so accommodation cost will be higher.

7. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

Alta lodge.
    Done.

MarzNC, cornice11 and Fast Eddie like this.
  8. Summit

Ski Pass - Gold

Hey Fast Eddie, unfortunately the Papoose Peak Ski Jump at Squaw has been demolished to make way for a ski lift :D

[​IMG]

Fast Eddie likes this.
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Hard Yards

No more 90m jumps on my knees these days!

Summit likes this.
  10. ponyrider

ponyrider Hard Yards

Hey Fast Ed, similar to you I'm looking at a work trip but NYC in my case. Decided to lock in 5 nights at the Snowpine in Alta for early Feb. Appears to have cancellation option so not a bad holdover until I can firm the plans up.

piolet likes this.
  11. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Hard Yards

Great idea, as I don’t think I can confirm plans until early Jan. Will check it out. Thanks!

12. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

I did similar a few years ago. Flew into LAX, connected easily through to Aspen. Shuttle from airport easy to Snowmass. Then 4 days skiing using the intra-resort shuttle. Then headed off to work.

You have may options.

Fast Eddie likes this.
  13. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Hard Yards

Agree. As It's probably going to be a fairly last minute decision will ultimately decide based on snow cover and accommodation availability.

14. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

4 years ago Aspen airport closed if the wind was over 10 mph. That is not very strong. Eagle, about 90 minutes down the road (and near Vail), is a bit better but they are both mountain airports with all the problems of mountain airports. That can mean diversions to Denver. Even in good traffic on I-70 Denver is about 3.5 hrs from Aspen.

15. Summit

Ski Pass - Gold

You can fly LAX - Jackson Hole return for less than $500 return, one stop with total time of about 4 hours. Stay at The Hostel in Teton Village cheaply or in Jackson town a few miles away for the wild west vibe.