Quick Watsons Crags trip

Jake S

One of Us
Oct 15, 2018
So Erryn and I set off on a little 20 hour adventure. Our plan was to get out to the Crags, ride a line and get back early arvo on Sunday, We left Guthega at 830pm with the plan to get as far as we could by 12 and then make camp. The walk to Illawong was slow but pleasant as it was a pretty cold night and everything was frozen. From Illawong we headed toward Little Twynam in icy conditions, great for skinning. We were hoping to get to Watsons but when we made Little Twynam we decided to set up camp.

We set up camp behind a big rock out of the the wind and hit the hay for the night. Next morning was an early start, packed up camp and headed to the crags. My ankle is still stuffed from when I subluxed it and tore the ligament 6 weeks ago so I sat the exciting stuff out. Erryn rode a fun line down dogleg and then another technical line after that.

We then headed to the top of Crags Catchment and had lunch and headed back to Guth. The run down Twynam was super fun, the snow was predictable and was easy to ride hard and fast on. I was so annoyed my ankle was still buggered but i'm glad I didn't ride anything steep, stuff it up worse than it is and then need a chopper out.

We then did the slog back to Guth from Illawong, I was reminded why I always tour out of Charlotte Pass in the Spring. Having not done any exercise for 6 weeks due to my ankle I was well and truly spent at the carpark. I have however sorted my pack out, I took my 35l pack and still had room, so happy with that.

What amazed me most out there was the rate at which the snow is melting. It is melting seriously fast, i think combined with the dust, hot temps and wind it won't be around for too much longer. It'll be interesting to see if I can get my annual summer line at Club Lake in.

DSC03288.jpg
DSC03304.jpg
DSC03340.jpg
DSC03347.jpg
DSC03379.jpg
DSC03390.jpg
DSC03426.jpg
DSC03436.jpg
DSC03454.jpg
DSC03518.jpg
DSC03547.jpg
DSC03560.jpg
DSC03586.jpg
DSC03596.jpg
DSC03618.jpg
DSC03634.jpg

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
So Erryn and I set off on a little 20 hour adventure. Our plan was to get out to the Crags, ride a line and get back early arvo on Sunday, We left Guthega at 830pm with the plan to get as far as we could by 12 and then make camp. The walk to Illawong was slow but pleasant as it was a pretty cold night and everything was frozen. From Illawong we headed toward Little Twynam in icy conditions, great for skinning. We were hoping to get to Watsons but when we made Little Twynam we decided to set up camp.

We set up camp behind a big rock out of the the wind and hit the hay for the night. Next morning was an early start, packed up camp and headed to the crags. My ankle is still stuffed from when I subluxed it and tore the ligament 6 weeks ago so I sat the exciting stuff out. Erryn rode a fun line down dogleg and then another technical line after that.

We then headed to the top of Crags Catchment and had lunch and headed back to Guth. The run down Twynam was super fun, the snow was predictable and was easy to ride hard and fast on. I was so annoyed my ankle was still buggered but i'm glad I didn't ride anything steep, stuff it up worse than it is and then need a chopper out.

We then did the slog back to Guth from Illawong, I was reminded why I always tour out of Charlotte Pass in the Spring. Having not done any exercise for 6 weeks due to my ankle I was well and truly spent at the carpark. I have however sorted my pack out, I took my 35l pack and still had room, so happy with that.

What amazed me most out there was the rate at which the snow is melting. It is melting seriously fast, i think combined with the dust, hot temps and wind it won't be around for too much longer. It'll be interesting to see if I can get my annual summer line at Club Lake in.

DSC03288.jpg
DSC03304.jpg
DSC03340.jpg
DSC03347.jpg
DSC03379.jpg
DSC03390.jpg
DSC03426.jpg
DSC03436.jpg
DSC03454.jpg
DSC03518.jpg
DSC03547.jpg
DSC03560.jpg
DSC03586.jpg
DSC03596.jpg
DSC03618.jpg
DSC03634.jpg
Stunning photos. A shame we had that dust storm, sure does accelerate the melt.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges

DSC03288.jpg
DSC03304.jpg
DSC03340.jpg
DSC03347.jpg
DSC03379.jpg
DSC03390.jpg
DSC03426.jpg
DSC03436.jpg
DSC03454.jpg
DSC03518.jpg
DSC03547.jpg
DSC03560.jpg
DSC03586.jpg
DSC03596.jpg
DSC03618.jpg
DSC03634.jpg
Awesome - great trip and thx for the lovely photos and trip report.

- I was up there a week ago and it looked very skiable then - amazing how quickly the snow has been going. The snow out of Charlottes is going fast but there’s still a lot to ski out there.

Reactions: Jake S

teletimmo

Addicted
Jul 16, 2008

DSC03288.jpg
DSC03304.jpg
DSC03340.jpg
DSC03347.jpg
DSC03379.jpg
DSC03390.jpg
DSC03426.jpg
DSC03436.jpg
DSC03454.jpg
DSC03518.jpg
DSC03547.jpg
DSC03560.jpg
DSC03586.jpg
DSC03596.jpg
DSC03618.jpg
DSC03634.jpg
Nice pics. We met you on top of Tennison Woods Knoll before you skied back to Guthega. What camera settings did you use for the starry night photo?

nick12

One of Us
May 30, 2005
NSW

DSC03288.jpg
DSC03304.jpg
DSC03340.jpg
DSC03347.jpg
DSC03379.jpg
DSC03390.jpg
DSC03426.jpg
DSC03436.jpg
DSC03454.jpg
DSC03518.jpg
DSC03547.jpg
DSC03560.jpg
DSC03586.jpg
DSC03596.jpg
DSC03618.jpg
DSC03634.jpg

Great Report. We met you on Illawong bridge on the way up,it was a surprisingly easy climb up in the dark!

Jake S

One of Us
Oct 15, 2018
Nice pics. We met you on top of Tennison Woods Knoll before you skied back to Guthega. What camera settings did you use for the starry night photo?

Cheers mate, not the photo i was hoping for but we weren't up high enough to get the Milky Way in the shot. 4000iso, F3.5 for 25 seconds on a Sony A7s1

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass