1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Rambling in the Alps

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Edgecrusher, Jun 6, 2018.

1. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  2. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Welcome back and thank you for making the effort to put together such a comprehensive TR.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  3. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Just discovered this thread and loved it @Edgecrusher. Congrats on a great trip. I hiked the Southern French Alps around the Serre Chevalier valley and surrounds 3 years ago (in not even slightly as adventurous and energetic manner as you) and saw lots of bouqetin (ibex). Those are not them. Bouquetin have enormous curly horns. Those guys look like chamois, although the chamois of the southern alps all had a white blaze on their face. A northern variation, perhaps? Anyway def not bouqetin :)

Edgecrusher likes this.
  4. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for clarifying for me. I saw plenty of ibex last time I was in Cham but none this time - only chamois.

Ramshead likes this.
  5. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Hold the phones. Wikipedia tells me that the female ibex look like those guys you posted. So maybe I am wrong. I must've only seen male ones.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I've had one of the most revolting combat skis of my life down that face on a breakable crust, when we got to the bottom Jerome casually mentioned that the last time he skied it was in waist deep blower powder, after a heli drop, for a marketing photo shoot. Bastardo.

Hyst and Edgecrusher like this.
  7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

8. Edgecrusher

Yeah quite similar. Although it appears you went down the second valley whereas I went up and traversed the entirety of the ridge and then down to Rifugio Bertone then back down to Planpincieux and along the value back to La Palud. Skiing vs hiking I guess!

CarveMan likes this.
  9. cookieman

cookieman One of Us

Wow, a great report and pics.
    Thanks for making the effort to share.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  10. Edgecrusher

You're very welcome, and thank you to all who have taken the time to have a scroll through this thread. It was my pleasure to share my trip with you guys, and I hope you enjoyed reading through.

I'm likely to be heading back to Italy again sometime in the next 5 years (hopefully), which will likely involve me heading back to see relatives in Italy's north east, so perhaps some hiking in the Dolomites will be on the cards (and maybe some around the Monte Rosa - Cervino area as well). We'll see.

And there's still a little unfinished business in both Chamonix (finishing the La Jonction hike, walking to Lac Cornu), and Courmayeur (Lac Liconi). I could spend months in the Alps hiking.

It all comes down to time and money. But I'll keep dreaming and hopefully, just like this last trip, I can make it happen!

oldgeezer, Hyst, Seth and 3 others like this.
  11. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Great thread @Edgecrusher, what an adventure you have had! Your fitness must be amazing now

Edgecrusher likes this.
  12. Edgecrusher

I hope it still is, I'm going to get out for a run tonight to see how I feel. I haven't done a great deal since the final hike, and I've eaten plenty of quality Italian food in the meantime (and enjoyed a few beverages as well!)

Bluebird likes this.
  13. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I've been meaning to ask, what the motivation was for this trip?

Cool location and all, but a solo (presented that way) trip to hike around the mountains? Made me wonder if you are turning into a monk or something like that.

Are you going to change you name to Tripitaka?

Edgecrusher likes this.
  14. Edgecrusher

LOL, not quite!

And yes, it was most definitely a solo hike.

When I went to Europe in 2011 I was able to get down to Cham on my own and did 3 days worth of hiking. It wasn't at the level I've just done, but it was pretty solid. I also did a day's worth in Zermatt as well as a day in St Moritz. That gave me a massive taste for it and I've spent a ridiculous amount of time dreaming and reading and scanning maps and things considering hikes in the Alps in the 7 years since. I'm not a spiritual person but I think the high mountains is probably the only place I've been where I consider things like that. They're humbling and powerful places.

At the end of the day, and coming back to basics, I'm happiest when I'm in the mountains. I'm not sure if that's because of my upbringing, or whether it's due to it being in my blood.

My folks had decided to go back to Europe this year and I was keen to go back, as I'm not sure if they'll go back again and I wanted to be there with my dad. So I figured if I was going back to Europe (and I only had 3 weeks' worth of annual leave), that I'd do what I've always wanted to and really get into the mountains and push myself.

Kletterer, oldgeezer, chunky and 3 others like this.
  15. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Amazing scenery. The stuff you would love to see for the whole year to see how it changes.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  16. Edgecrusher

Autumn would be a nice time with the changing of the colours. There wouldn't be any of those pesky snowdrifts hanging around either.
    There's still a number of walks in those mountains that will end up drawing me back in the future.

17. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This TR made for an interesting journey @Edgecrusher and it helped me consider possibilities and plan out my vacation starting in a few weeks.

For years and years MrsOG had pestered me to go sightseeing in Europe but I put it off while skiing (in Canada/US) was still something that worked for us. Those days are past us now so it is cough-up time and we are splurging some super before tightening our belts and restricting future skiing to the odd day trip to Selwyn when conditions are good, with our grandsons.

Anyways after five weeks with MrsOG doing tourist stuff in Europe, and catching up with a distant cousin of hers in England and an expat one in Portugal, she will head home as our son flys to join me in Zurich for a mix of sightseeing and day hikes.

I had asked in this thread about me tossing up between Switzerland and Dolomites and had some valuable advice and in the end decided a bit of both, with hiking around Meiringen and Grindelwald in the former and in Selva di Val Gardena in the latter, walking across ski runs rather than sliding down them in many cases.

Afterwards in Tuscany we will do some luxury hiking from Florence to Siena, 'luxury' meaning our luggage gets transferred ahead and we just carry daypacks, as in Switzerland and Dolomites.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  18. smackies

smackies A Local

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing. I'm heading not-quite-there in a few weeks. Can't wait to see similar vistas and drink ze beers.

19. Edgecrusher

Really good to hear. That sounds great, especially walking in Switzerland and the Dolomites.
    Would love to see your TR from the trip :thumbs: