Trip Report Ramshead does the AAWT

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Team Bears have ordered a copy...well somebody more technically skilled actually ordered it..but it’s coming by post!Where did they land the helicopter to get you out of Happy Jacks Plain..and where did they take you first!:whistle:

Reactions: Ramshead

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Team Bears have ordered a copy...well somebody more technically skilled actually ordered it..but it’s coming by post!Where did they land the helicopter to get you out of Happy Jacks Plain..and where did they take you first!:whistle:
Mackeys hut is where they landed and they took me to Jindy airport ie a paddock out the back of Jindy. Thanks for ordering. Should only take a few months the way the post is going right now

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
If I may self review, I think this book is a mixture of calm and vivid. Calvid? Let’s just cal it Covid! Anyway thx for downloading and hope you enjoy. Just checked the amazon charts and the kindle version jumped quite a few spots overnight. I’ve been told their book sales in Oz are very insignificant compared to booktopia so who knows, maybe your one download did that

I'm published too, and 1 sale can make quite the jump in ranking! Quite amusing.

Reactions: Chaeron

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Amazon yeah. Booktopia not so much. What’s your book?

I'm so embarrassed, I might PM you mate! Writer (or 'writer' in my case) to writer and all that...(I probably sound rather gutless given your identity is known...)

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I'm so embarrassed, I might PM you mate! Writer (or 'writer' in my case) to writer and all that...(I probably sound rather gutless given your identity is known...)
My first book was junk and I never talk about it. Much of my journalism was junk too and I don't discuss that either! My skiing is junk and I rarely let myself be videoed. My whippet is dopey and my car is a Hyundai. Tell us ya book, chook!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
You challenged readers to tell you a better book title than Between a Rock and a Hard Place. My personal favourite is a the autobiography of a restaurateur Nobody Knows the Truffles I've Seen.

Absolutely nothing to do with AAWT or outback adventure, but I think he did have a desperate time avoiding death at the hands of Nazis.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Reactions: skifree

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Well I've just finished Snow to Ash. I've also just ordered Touching the Void and Between a Rock and a Hard Place. I really enjoyed reading your book @Ramshead , thanks for sharing.
Hey mate, been offline for a few days. Thanks for taking the time to check in. Glad you enjoyed it. Been a long time since I read those other two. They’re now on my shelf anymore for whatever reason. Let me know how you go with them too! Onya

Reactions: aazz

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Hello mate. As above, thx for grabbing a copy and as above, apols for the delay in responding. Heli grabbed me at Mackeys. There's even a pic from the departing chopper in the book. They took me to Jindy and there's a scene afterwards where I'm walking around town down near the Strzelecki statue feeling really dislocated and confused. It was a very strange afternoon

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Does Mulhauser Spur feature on the AAWT?
It doesn’t- the AAWT goes along the Long Spur, then from Big River Saddle along some of the road to Mt Willis.

(AAWT indicated in yellow)

3598BA44-5DA0-44AE-8EED-59B65224D5D3.jpeg

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Not sure how much fire got up on to Long Spur....not sure of fire edge up there...It was a fierce summer.When crazy lockdown finishes I will try to get back up there and do a patrol from Big River Saddle to Mulhauser then on foot to Bossiea Hill with baby echo!But it appears I will be closer to xmas befiore we can all get out of Melb.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Book arrived lunchtime today.
Team Bears have pawed over the first 60 pages....enjoyable .......expression of your thoughts is fascinating......Bears not liking the description Nth of Stronachs Camp......
Best call in Mr T and his Makita !.....Horizontal fallen logs are a pain in the asse when there are several.
We love the description of how you get over them/under them....it’s accurate and funny.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Book arrived lunchtime today.
Team Bears have pawed over the first 60 pages....enjoyable .......expression of your thoughts is fascinating......Bears not liking the description Nth of Stronachs Camp......
Best call in Mr T and his Makita !.....Horizontal fallen logs are a pain in the asse when there are several.
We love the description of how you get over them/under them....it’s accurate and funny.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
Team Ant is enjoying your updates

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Don't believe so no. Mulhauser approaches Bogong from the NE does it not? AAWT takes Long Spur after Bogong, not that I did cos it was closed. I took the @Dave.Ski route down to the Mitta Mitta River which is swift and efficient!
Mulhauser Spur is a little sub-spur off to the North of the Long Spur - there’s a 4wd / logging track to a carpark there, it’s a way to get to Cleve Cole hut without having to go up and over the top in poor weather from the Eskdale Spur side. It’s a bit of a slog, but a dream to get back down to the car.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
You may wish to come down to Omeo Highway Mt Wills and do the Longspur to Cleve Cole over a long weekend .Some folk do Mt Ck...Staurcase/Eskdale ,Bogong ,West Peak,Cleve Cole.Longspur,Mt Mulhauser and out to Mt Wills/Big River Saddle or down into Camp Mulhauser to the Nth on the Upper Mulhauser Spur.

Xplora is set up close by Glen Valley :close by Mt Wills and can give good details and even has accomodation So you can do a car shuffle between either end if you have say three days or a tight two.I think Mr T is dying to do a complete Long Spur Trip..you might be able to wangle a car shuffle with him once these restrictions get lifted from Melb.

Team Bears are not sure what impact fire has had on Longspur and surroundings.
Xplora would know first hand or have knowledge from National Parks Staff.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Does Mulhauser Spur feature on the AAWT?
Mulhauser spur track intersects with Long Spur . Long Spur is part of the AAWT and the Team Leader has erected a picnic table at that track junction. Mt. Mulhauser itself is on the Long Spur route.
I plan to walk from Mt. Wills to Mt. Bogong via Long Spur ( and back ) once we Melbournians are released from the naughty Covid corner.
day  one. The  Mulhauser spur  sign  needs fixing..JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Mulhauser Spur is a little sub-spur off to the North of the Long Spur - there’s a 4wd / logging track to a carpark there, it’s a way to get to Cleve Cole hut without having to go up and over the top in poor weather from the Eskdale Spur side. It’s a bit of a slog, but a dream to get back down to the car.

Photos from a March 2018 Mr. Tee trip up Mulhauser spur ,Long spur and Mt. Bogong.

It is the most sheltered way to reach Cleve Cole Hut.
_SAM1815.JPG
Looking  back  a  Mt. Bogong  from Long Spur.12.3.18.JPG
_SAM1838.JPG

Reactions: skifree and VSG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The route up Mulhauser spur to Cleve Cole hut is my favourite route up Mt.Bogong. It is quite scenic indeed.The campsite at Mulhauser track trail head is a well known spot to see the Team leader in his native environment.
DEWLP cleared and graded the 4 WD track all the way up to the Mulhauser campsite in 2019 and even put a bulldozer through and cut a turning circle below the final ascent on the track where 4 WD and AWD vehicles can feel the power to the rear wheels assisting their traction.
_SAM1840.JPG
_SAM1842.JPG
_SAM1846.JPG
_SAM1861.JPG
_SAM1862.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
.I think Mr T is dying to do a complete Long Spur Trip..you might be able to wangle a car shuffle with him once these restrictions get lifted from Melb.
Yes, If anyone wants to do a car shuttle with me so that The bushwalking/ hiking route can more easily encompass Mt. Wills to Camp Creek gap ( Bottom of Eskdale spur foot track) then that would be ideal. @Ramshead , please consider this matter because there are some great sections of the AAWT in Vic. that you had to skip.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Team Bears have read their way through to the top of the Ramshead.Very enjoyable read......It is wet in Melb today so we may even “push on” to Mackey’s Hut!

We love the descriptions of the characters you encountered.The Benambra /Mitta Mitta (Taylor’s Crossing) section is very humorous....thoroughly enjoying reading this.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Another followup book with Crosscut Saw through to Hotham.
And Mt Bogong to Mt Wills would be something to look forward too.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
@Ramshead - there’s a good ‘Sunday extra’ piece with accompanying images in a major newspaper to be written on you revisiting some of the burnt area of your walk to reflect on the recovery - especially before holiday season.

I’m sure an world-weary editor tired of cooking shows and Netflix reviews and show houses would bite at something like this.... go on - do the pitch!

Christmas season book sales..... another print run!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Team Bears have read their way through to the top of the Ramshead.Very enjoyable read......It is wet in Melb today so we may even “push on” to Mackey’s Hut!

We love the descriptions of the characters you encountered.The Benambra /Mitta Mitta (Taylor’s Crossing) section is very humorous....thoroughly enjoying reading this.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

And Mt Bogong to Mt Wills would be something to look forward too.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
I have already suggested to @Ramshead that the Mt. McDonald to Hotham section of the AAWT still awaits him although just going as far as Mt. Speculation would suffice. Mt. Clear is a must do hiking destination. The summit area can be 'interesting' in poor visibility but on a clear day ( pardon the pun ) the views from the top are excellent.There is not much water up there from The Nobs to Mt.Clear. I had to cart extra water and budget it meticulously when I walked that section.

Reactions: Ramshead

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bears would like to know what happening with the isolated water tanks.Are they up for routine maintenance ....Maybe a bit of work is necessary in those dry sections.....because with hot summer weather and possibility of returning cycle of drought this will be a continuing caper.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Bears would like to know what happening with the isolated water tanks.Are they up for routine maintenance ....Maybe a bit of work is necessary in those dry sections.....because with hot summer weather and possibility of returning cycle of drought this will be a continuing caper.
Barry Saddle has a new water tank. I have not visited it.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
@Ramshead - there’s a good ‘Sunday extra’ piece with accompanying images in a major newspaper to be written on you revisiting some of the burnt area of your walk to reflect on the recovery - especially before holiday season.

I’m sure an world-weary editor tired of cooking shows and Netflix reviews and show houses would bite at something like this.... go on - do the pitch!

Christmas season book sales..... another print run!
Yes I am very much gearing up for a second round of media. First one was largely sorted thru publicist. This lot will be my doing. Your idea is very much on the money and I thank you for the prod

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney

Mitta Mitta was good times. I want some dim sims

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
You tell a great story @Ramshead , thoroughly enjoyed it. Even found a lump developing in my throat as the moments counted down to you being whisked away in the chopper.

You had quite the journey, and sounds like the walking was pretty good too.

Reactions: Chaeron

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
You tell a great story @Ramshead , thoroughly enjoyed it. Even found a lump developing in my throat as the moments counted down to you being whisked away in the chopper.

You had quite the journey, and sounds like the walking was pretty good too.
I am glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for purchasing a copy of my humble orange tome. I should say thank you to everyone who has grabbed one. I've tried to show appreciation to everyone as they chime in here, but if I've missed anyone, thank you for the support and feedback. Sales have been pretty good if anyone's interested. Not spectacular, but it's definitely more than holding its own and we're hopeful of a Christmas surge. Meanwhile I just signed my next book contract (electronically) like literally three minutes ago, so I'm off on an even wilder journey this time - this time more psychological than physical. Will keep y'all updated.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I am glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for purchasing a copy of my humble orange tome. I should say thank you to everyone who has grabbed one. I've tried to show appreciation to everyone as they chime in here, but if I've missed anyone, thank you for the support and feedback. Sales have been pretty good if anyone's interested. Not spectacular, but it's definitely more than holding its own and we're hopeful of a Christmas surge. Meanwhile I just signed my next book contract (electronically) like literally three minutes ago, so I'm off on an even wilder journey this time - this time more psychological than physical. Will keep y'all updated.
Congrats - enjoy the ride!

Reactions: Undies and Ramshead

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Thx mate. You know I never thought much about SW Tas before this trip but now I know I gotta get there. Feels like it’s the last truly unspoiled wilderness in Australia’s temperate zone

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
SW Tas is another world. One of those places where you are genuinely remote in every way.
I don't think i have any great aspiration to walk the Port Davey Track again though.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
SW Tas is another world. One of those places where you are genuinely remote in every way
Yep.

I don't think i have any great aspiration to walk the Port Davey Track again though.

I've only wandered it once, but do not actually remember much of it, it was a few years ago. I certainly do not remember it being a bad wander except it was over 35deg pretty much every day until Crossing River (I was going South to North) where it promptly rained for 2 days straight.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
The Lost World is worth wandering through once , likewise the novelty of " the Narrows". Inevitably it is a thoroughfare that has you walking towards a fixed immutable deadline, which diminishes the experience.

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass