Trip Report Ramshead does the AAWT

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
So the book is now at home in the mountains amongst my mountain literature. Actually that’s a lie, I’ve lent it to a friend up here who is an avid hiker, she loved it.

I was looking out the window changing a nappy the other day and mused that if it weren’t for a few pesky snow gums, I’d be able to see Mts McDonald and Skene from my daughters’ bedroom window:

B382EABF-1806-4C7F-BC31-6D56F77E5D68.jpeg

Unobscured view:

E21CE5CC-81A9-4A76-B807-9B9E2AE5E7FD.jpeg

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
So the book is now at home in the mountains amongst my mountain literature. Actually that’s a lie, I’ve lent it to a friend up here who is an avid hiker, she loved it.

I was looking out the window changing a nappy the other day and mused that if it weren’t for a few pesky snow gums, I’d be able to see Mts McDonald and Skene from my daughters’ bedroom window:

B382EABF-1806-4C7F-BC31-6D56F77E5D68.jpeg

Unobscured view:

E21CE5CC-81A9-4A76-B807-9B9E2AE5E7FD.jpeg
Love all of that mate, onya. How are the nappy skills coming along?

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
@Ramshead I had a similar experience with emu's at Honeysuckle Creek, many years ago. Hated them for a while, then I worked on an emu farm and found out how good they tasted.
What do they actually taste like? Don't say, "Tastes like chicken". Unless of course they do

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I have purchased 3 copies of the book by @Ramshead via an online shopping portal.
One for me and one each for two of my friends who most likely will never stand on top of the peak known as King Billy No. 1 , as some of us have.

I don't care if they don't froth about the Aust. Alps like I do . They better start soon after they have read the book.
Anyway I am out this month and next month walking sections of the AAWT that @Ramshead may have missed on his trip i.e. Mt. Wills to Mt. Bogong, Mt. McDonald, Mt.Whitelaw ( Baw Baw N. P. ) and I have just come back from a walk that included the AAWT section of King Billy to the Crosscut saw.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I have purchased 3 copies of the book by @Ramshead via an online shopping portal.
One for me and one each for two of my friends who most likely will never stand on top of the peak known as King Billy No. 1 , as some of us have.

I don't care if they don't froth about the Aust. Alps like I do . They better start soon after they have read the book.
Anyway I am out this month and next month walking sections of the AAWT that @Ramshead may have missed on his trip i.e. Mt. Wills to Mt. Bogong, Mt. McDonald, Mt.Whitelaw ( Baw Baw N. P. ) and I have just come back from a walk that included the AAWT section of King Billy to the Crosscut saw.
This is correct consumer behaviour, and much appreciated! Looks like I've just roped myself into an AAWT track clearing weekend down at Baw Baw next April. It's a long way down to that end of the world for me to travel by car, so may just head up to McAlister and Crosscut on the way home. Have a good time out there Mister Tee

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
This is correct consumer behaviour, and much appreciated! Looks like I've just roped myself into an AAWT track clearing weekend down at Baw Baw next April. It's a long way down to that end of the world for me to travel by car, so may just head up to McAlister and Crosscut on the way home. Have a good time out there Mister Tee
April beers in Melbourne you say?

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I’ll buy a round...
I have avoided going to Melbourne since 2009 when I covered the (now defunct) Aust Masters at Kingston Heath which Tiger Woods won by two strokes. I remember asking the runner-up, leftie Aussie Greg Chalmers in the press conference, whether he would rather win the tourney without international visitors or be able to tell his kids he finished second to Tiger Woods. He glared at me like I was the dumbest person in the world. Sportsmen like winning. I still thought it was a reasomable question, though perhaps not. Anyway, yes. Melbs beers will be on if this trip eventuates and Covid permits and blah blah. Good thought

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I have avoided going to Melbourne since 2009 when I covered the (now defunct) Aust Masters at Kingston Heath which Tiger Woods won by two strokes. I remember asking the runner-up, leftie Aussie Greg Chalmers in the press conference, whether he would rather win the tourney without international visitors or be able to tell his kids he finished second to Tiger Woods. He glared at me like I was the dumbest person in the world. Sportsmen like winning. I still thought it was a reasomable question, though perhaps not. Anyway, yes. Melbs beers will be on if this trip eventuates and Covid permits and blah blah. Good thought
Heh I was at that tournament, I went on the Saturday, Geoff Ogilvy had only just made the cut and teed off early, I followed his entire round no more than a few metres away, he was a reasonably fresh US Open champion at that point. Then Tiger played in the arvo and it was 10 deep the whole time. My wife started to feel a bit off colour that day and it turned out to be Pneumonia. That was mid-November and she was still not great when we were skiing in France at Xmas. /slightly off topic

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Heh I was at that tournament, I went on the Saturday, Geoff Ogilvy had only just made the cut and teed off early, I followed his entire round no more than a few metres away, he was a reasonably fresh US Open champion at that point. Then Tiger played in the arvo and it was 10 deep the whole time. My wife started to feel a bit off colour that day and it turned out to be Pneumonia. That was mid-November and she was still not great when we were skiing in France at Xmas. /slightly off topic
Ok here is me in a slightly fat phase with inside the ropes media access trying to steal tiger’s clubs!

028F9D95-5ADB-4024-BC5B-F667E9466474.jpeg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Is that with BTAC or Friends of Baw Baw ?.I am affiliated with both groups. I want to do more track clearing with them and they appreciate my enthusiasm with wielding a chainsaw :) .I would like to help with that project in April 2021 :) .
Mr.Tee  using a chain  saw.jpg

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Is that with BTAC or Friends of Baw Baw ?.I am affiliated with both groups. I want to do more track clearing with them and they appreciate my enthusiasm with wielding a chainsaw :) .I would like to help with that project in April 2021 :) .
Mr.Tee  using a chain  saw.jpg
Friends of. Nothing set in stone yet but they’re trying to clear south of Stronachs around April 8-11 ish

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Track clearing in April 2021 along the AAWT from Stronarch's camp south over the Baw Baw Plateau towards St. Phillack saddle has now been officially gazetted in the friends of Baw Baw schedule of activities.

DATE ACTIVITY CONTACT EQUIPMENT TIME/PLACE 8-11 April 2021 Back-up dates 15-18 April 2021 Walking Track Maintenance. General track maintenance (including cutting back vegetation) along the AAWT. Starting from Stronachs Camp and working south towards Phillack Saddle. Remember to register in ParkConnect. Peter Maffei 0418 149 465 and Ron Cann 5623 5358 Camping gear, alpine clothing, and sturdy footwear. Thursday 10:00 AM Stonachs Camp If arriving on any other day please be onsite by 9:00 AM

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Just listened to Geraldine Doogue interview @Ramshead on ABC RN’s Saturday Extra - great interview!

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/saturdayextra/

Well worth a listen.

Really came across very well. Great job!

Got my Christmas copy this week - looking forward to rereading it over the Christmas break.

63A1C662-B1E2-4337-AF50-479A95E0B087.jpeg
Morning mate. Yeah I listened, painful as it is to hear your own voice, and thought it was OK. Thanks for your comments. We recorded last week and it was actually like a 25 min chat reduced to 12 mins. Editor said it was an incredibly difficult edit because Geraldine and I both talk so much!!! But as I always say to young journos in media training, radio ain't a dinner party. You don't wait your turn to speak. Just blurt out all your most interesting stuff as coherently as possible.

Hey thanks for buying another book btw Chaeron. Not sure why you couldn't read the same copy twice but I'm sure you have your reasons and am happy for the royalties! Happy Christmas mate, and to you all

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Morning mate. Yeah I listened, painful as it is to hear your own voice, and thought it was OK. Thanks for your comments. We recorded last week and it was actually like a 25 min chat reduced to 12 mins. Editor said it was an incredibly difficult edit because Geraldine and I both talk so much!!! But as I always say to young journos in media training, radio ain't a dinner party. You don't wait your turn to speak. Just blurt out all your most interesting stuff as coherently as possible.

Hey thanks for buying another book btw Chaeron. Not sure why you couldn't read the same copy twice but I'm sure you have your reasons and am happy for the royalties! Happy Christmas mate, and to you all
You and Geraldine both came across well - good editing job then! Should bump up the Chrissy sales.

Sounds like she’s keen for you to be back to talk horses.....

Wanted a paper copy for friends to read....

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Just listened to Geraldine Doogue interview @Ramshead on ABC RN’s Saturday Extra - great interview!

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/saturdayextra/

Well worth a listen.

Really came across very well. Great job!

Got my Christmas copy this week - looking forward to rereading it over the Christmas break.

63A1C662-B1E2-4337-AF50-479A95E0B087.jpeg
I just bought another copy on line :) . These books make good gifts, esp. for my friends who cannot comprehend the stuff I do outdoors in the Vic. Alps.

Reactions: Chaeron

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I have been busy walking most of the bits of the AAWT in Vic. that you missed. Is there is a sequel? Perhaps I could be of use to you ? ..."The return of the sequel of the AAWT trek: the Coffee table book".
There is no sequel. I will quietly walk the bits I missed in coming years. I have done all of the northern section give or take a few tiny bits. Main bits are Johnnies Top area and as you know Crosscut. Will be a personal journey this time. A few tweets'll do it.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
There is no sequel. I will quietly walk the bits I missed in coming years. I have done all of the northern section give or take a few tiny bits. Main bits are Johnnies Top area and as you know Crosscut. Will be a personal journey this time. A few tweets'll do it.
Mt.McDonald to Mt.Speculation is possibly the best bit. It is amazing .You must do the whole section there.Long Spur and Mt.Wills are also must do sections.
@Carola recently walked from Riley's Creek hut to Lake Cobbler thus covering the Barry Saddle and Viking bit.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I’m only at three. Just gifted one to FIL.
Come on mate, up your game. Nah seriously, every sale is fantastic. We look like we've hit around 6,000 in the local market, plus as yet untallied kindle sales of perhaps half as many again. Sounds like bugger all, but in the Aus market, the publisher says these are good numbers, and the support of this site woulda been worth at least 5-10% I reckon, so again, thank you all.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Come on mate, up your game. Nah seriously, every sale is fantastic. We look like we've hit around 6,000 in the local market, plus as yet untallied kindle sales of perhaps half as many again. Sounds like bugger all, but in the Aus market, the publisher says these are good numbers, and the support of this site woulda been worth at least 5-10% I reckon, so again, thank you all.
Amazing achievement to create something that convinced people to fork out something in the vicinity of $200k of their hard-earned. Well done!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Bushwalking Vic. are doing track clearing in March at Mt. Wills , part of the AAWT terrain no doubt. I will make every effort to attend . Likewise they are clearing the AAWT on the Stronarch's camp to St. Phillack saddle on the Baw Baw Plateaux area in April . Dates for these working bees have yet to be confirmed.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Bushwalking Vic. are doing track clearing in March at Mt. Wills , part of the AAWT terrain no doubt. I will make every effort to attend . Likewise they are clearing the AAWT on the Stronarch's camp to St. Phillack saddle on the Baw Baw Plateaux area in April . Dates for these working bees have yet to be confirmed.
Yeah I’ve been invited to Stronachs as I think I said here. Covid and family commitments notwithstanding, I’m pretty hopeful of making it

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Bought a copy for myself for Christmas. (Sometimes no matter how many hints you drop about possibly presents it falls on deaf ears.)
Thought I wouldn't get to start reading mine until the kids were back at school but this morning was my golden opportunity. All was quiet in the house. A couple of hot, active days and the kids were keen for a sleep in.
IMG20210112121137.jpg

@Ramshead beautifully written.
My bro in law did the track in the mid naughties and had to be rescued part way with a badly sprained ankle. Memories fade and I can't remember exactly where he had to be rescued from.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass