Trip Report Ramshead does the AAWT

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
@Ramshead

"As for my itinerary, ha! Mt skene to mt hotham in 6 days? Good one"

"Because the AAWT sneers a big evil grin at anyone who sets the daily distance bar too high"

Photo warning - blisters (worse than camera shows, putrid smell too)

IMG-20210402-WA0009.jpg

This is what hotham to skene in 6 days does for you...final day of nobs track - skene didn't help either (37km, 1500vm, 13 hours, finally finding water at 845pm)

Due to many factors (all good, just life getting in the way), unfortunately the entire trip can't happen in one go right now - mate and I will be completing in sections

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
@hongomania . You are a masochist albeit an impressive one. Mt. Hotham to Mt. Skene would take me up to two weeks!. I am slow and soft and like enjoying afternoons just relaxing at camp from 3 pm onwards if possible. What was the track from Low Saddle to Mt. Sunday like? I have heard it is a bush bash with lots of fallen logs and head high scrub. :-0

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
You are a masochist albeit an impressive one. What was the track from Low Saddle to Mt. Sunday like? I have heard it is a bush bash with lots of fallen logs and head high scrub. :-0

Yes I am a bit, however I need to learn to change my multi day hike strat. My metabolism is built for day trips. If I go hard on multi days I have have take way too much food

Also my feet being so wide need extra care as boots don't fit well

Yes ascending mt Sunday was a mess. Starts out alright then turns into fallen tree land

Couldn't find any water at low saddle either

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Yes I am a bit, however I need to learn to change my multi day hike strat. My metabolism is built for day trips. If I go hard on multi days I have have take way too much food

Yes ascending mt Sunday was a mess. Starts out alright then turns into fallen tree land

It’s the need to sometimes find water or spend a-lot of time negotiating a changed area that makes a mockery of continuous 35+k days. Programming most to be shorter builds in the contingency time.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

The Spatial Vision Map says there is a water course on the Low Saddle road west of Low saddle towards where the road from Mt. Sunday comes down to meet the Low Saddle road. Of course being autumn I would not expect to find water in many places in the Buller/ Howitt map area. That is why I usually desist from walking in that region after Xmas. @ Bogong seems to be of a similar position on this matter.
Doing a supply drop between Mt. Hotham and Mt. Skene( perhaps at Camp Creek near Mt. Speculation ( (4 WD access only) ) or at Mac . Springs ) would mean you could eat what you like , go slower, locate water in a less pressing manner and enjoy the scenery which is often second to none in the Australian Alps. Plus you would not wipe yourself out physically with 12 hour days on the route.
My feet are very wide . My Asolo boots are made for wide feet and once worn in they have given me much trouble free walking. My knees complain but that is because I am middle aged and nearly always pack the kitchen sink on my multi night bushwalks.

Reactions: hongomania

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
@Ramshead

"Because the AAWT sneers a big evil grin at anyone who sets the daily distance bar too high"

IMG-20210402-WA0009.jpg

This is what hotham to skene in 6 days does for you...final day of nobs track - skene didn't help either (37km, 1500vm, 13 hours, finally finding water at 845pm)

Due to many factors (all good, just life getting in the way), unfortunately the entire trip can't happen in one go right now - mate and I will be completing in sections
Solid stats there Hongo Must have been tough blowing up your sleeping mat.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Wondrous effort here from hongomania......sounds like some organised chainsawing needs to be considered by friends of the National Parks.

Sounds like he is up for a jog from Hotham Airport to Maccas and return in a day.The Cobungra a place for a cool down mid way!But don’t go around the airport the wrong way in the dark!:whistle:

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
@Ramshead

IMG-20210402-WA0009.jpg

Much respect to you mate. I hope to do that section properly next summer

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I'm on p.108 now - "a pang of regret" - shouldn't ever regret following your gut feeling in the mountains. There's always next time
My friend and I turned back from the true summit of Mt. McDonald( AAWT) in late 2020. It was TOO HOT. @hongomania also turned back that day for the same reason in the same area .So we have to go back in Nov. 2021 !

Last edited:
Reactions: hongomania

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
An anthology of the best capers in the mountains by a diverse range of characters edited by @Ramshead - now that would be a worthwhile read.

The general public doesn’t get to enjoy the forum’s BC threads...

I’d pay good money for a cofee table edition with accompanying photos of awesome Australian alpine locations, only worry - it would be like the Instagram hot spot effect.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The only problem with @Ramshead book - it isn't long enough
That is because he skipped some of the best bits of the AAWT !!.Like a true masochist he completed the most grueling and uninspiring bit (Stronarch's camp to Mt. Skene )and fate led him to skip the Low Saddle to Barry Saddle section, Long Spur to Mt. Wills etc. and so on. I personally would not be walking large chunks of the AAWT in high summer. Spring or Autumn would be better but it is ruddy tough no matter which month or two you choose to walk some of it .

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
An anthology of the best capers in the mountains by a diverse range of characters edited by @Ramshead - now that would be a worthwhile read.

I’d pay good money for a cofee table edition with accompanying photos of awesome Australian alpine locations, only worry - it would be like the Instagram hot spot effect.
back in the days of taking films to be developed and printed - staff asking where those great shots were taken. lacked the same snowball effect

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney

a third high country book in thee years would make a trilogy. Publishing marketers LOVE a trilogy!

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Be grateful for what you got! I had to take up smoking again to write that bastard on time. Thinking of taking up ice or heroin for the rest of the new one on the Brumby Wars, the first half of which is due, oh dear, today. Bye!

PS Thanks for kind words Hongo.
More frustration, anxiety and general twistedness makes for a better book. More coffee!! Enjoy! Think more salacious tabloid journalism, less literary prose - it will be relatably readable!

Reactions: Ramshead

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Be grateful for what you got! I had to take up smoking again to write that bastard on time. Thinking of taking up ice or heroin for the rest of the new one on the Brumby Wars, the first half of which is due, oh dear, today. Bye!

PS Thanks for kind words Hongo.
Do speed for deadlines, use smack for the come down. Smoke weed to procrastinate. Or just stay clean and work hard.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass