Random stuff you take to Japan

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Yeah. Often stayed at places that used the disposable ones, so bought a couple pairs there as well as a pencil case style container and now take them every time.

Jamesc

One of Us
Oct 12, 2011
Sydney
Yeah. Often stayed at places that used the disposable ones, so bought a couple pairs there as well as a pencil case style container and now take them every time.

Got a set of the fancy screw together ones a few years back on our first trip to japan always carry then with us.

Dunno bout the coffee plunger and parmesan though.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Got a set of the fancy screw together ones a few years back on our first trip to japan always carry then with us.

Dunno bout the coffee plunger and parmesan though.
Hate Japanese coffee and like making carbonara (and other pastas)

DeskRider

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 13, 2011
Melbourne
Had a request for a bottle of Bundy this time around for an expat mate..

Other than that will just make sure i have a full tube of toothpaste.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I am hoping that @skichanger and @Lady Mamabear both have espresso machine! If so let me know if i need to pack coffee!
There is a coffee plunger in my apartment but I'm never satisfied with the coffee from it. But there's no point putting a coffee machine in - they do great coffee over the road.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Anti viral face masks - a must. Even without a sick person next to you the dry air of the plane is a killer for anyone prone to respiratory issues.

VitD3
Not enough sunshine for a gnat in a Japanese winter. Helps keep immune system functioning and mood stable.

I take a whole load of random stuff but mostly to leave in my apartment. Last time it was over the door coat racks, a wicker basket for dumping tabletop clutter, a wire mesh pen holder for stashing all those blasted COINS, and rather clever clogged sink snake (grrrr....boys who flush facial hair remnants down sinks!!).

Next trip I think I'll take a much better and washable cleaning cloth than the crappy chux and steel wool that's provided. And a few gluten free items for @Ozgirl.

Reactions: Ozgirl

mixitup

First Runs
Jan 18, 2016
- My own muesli (can't handle rice balls for breakfast or the excuse for bread they have)
- Packet of little koalas to hand out (handy at smaller places which don't get as many westerners through)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Perfect!

Awww thank you! I was thinking that too actually.
Send me a list and leave the Hokkaido stuff to me. I'm bringing a suitcase for my girlfriend who will be in Thailand until the 27th when she is meeting us in Sapporo. I'll stuff a bag of stuff in there. I'll send it via Black Cat from Tokyo when I arrive direct to the apartment. No need to lug it around (God I love Japanese efficiency!). Just bring the GF things you need for Myoko :thumbs:

Reactions: Ozgirl

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Send me a list and leave the Hokkaido stuff to me. I'm bringing a suitcase for my girlfriend who will be in Thailand until the 27th when she is meeting us in Sapporo. I'll stuff a bag of stuff in there. I'll send it via Black Cat from Tokyo when I arrive direct to the apartment. No need to lug it around (God I love Japanese efficiency!). Just bring the GF things you need for Myoko :thumbs:

How i told you how much you rock lately?

I have the space going over too! 40kg (and only 30 to come home.)

Thinking maybe a big joint of meat? maybe lamb for a group dinner?

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I drink three coffees a day
I'd be broke in Japan
You and PB would get on LOL:froth:
I broke the coffee addiction a few years ago. Now I just enjoy it with out feeling like I have to have it. Had a sum total of TWO coffees in the entire week before PB arrived ;)
Currently enjoying a Peppermint & Spearmint Green tea :thumbs:

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
- weetbix
-vegemite
- coffee plunger.
-Parmesan cheese

any others?
Got spare weetbix atm. Sold a packet to a guest and when we searched for a fair price we found them for around 9k yen - bargain!
Vegemite in surplus as well.
I am hoping that @skichanger and @Lady Mamabear both have espresso machine! If so let me know if i need to pack coffee!
We have a little machine that takes the Nescafe pods. I looked at coffeee machines recently - 300,000 yen and upwards so not worth it for our little lodge.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
its a bit of a 50.50..
you are sick...you wear a mask
you don't want to get sick
you wear a mask

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Headache tablets cause Japanese ones are weak as fuck

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Blu-Tack , to stick my smart phone to the car dash when using it as a satnav.

And I can tell you from experience if you lose that blu-tack it's very hard to find any in Japanese stores.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Blu-Tack , to stick my smart phone to the car dash when using it as a satnav.

And I can tell you from experience if you lose that blu-tack it's very hard to find any in Japanese stores.
Or you take your easy to use car kit..............

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
its a bit of a 50.50..
you are sick...you wear a mask
you don't want to get sick
you wear a mask
It's not foolproof that's for sure.
But it does give some level of protection. They wouldn't use them in hospitals if they didn't provide some barrier to transmission.

I use them on planes less for the germ carriers and more to stop my airways drying out.

I use them in Japan if I've got a cold as it's the polite thing to do,

I use them at home, especially at night, if I've got a cough because it helps calm the coughing by keeping the airways moist. Add Vicks or tiger balm and it helps clear the airways too.

piolet

Better make it three
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Just to distinguish between skiing face mask and this kind.
Aha ta was wondering if it was something special
It's not foolproof that's for sure.
But it does give some level of protection. They wouldn't use them in hospitals if they didn't provide some barrier to transmission.

I use them on planes less for the germ carriers and more to stop my airways drying out.

I use them in Japan if I've got a cold as it's the polite thing to do,

I use them at home, especially at night, if I've got a cough because it helps calm the coughing by keeping the airways moist. Add Vicks or tiger balm and it helps clear the airways too.
I thought hospitals used them to protect the wearer from fluids

How do they keep you dry, airways etc ?
Just wondering as i fly lots and hate the dehydration

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass