1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Razorback/Dargo Bowl

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Housie, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Housie

Housie Hard Yards

Have read the previous thread on this area and it all sounds easily accessible. Have seen it but never skied it. We're also planning a day trip on Sun 4th Sept.

How far do you have to go towards Feathertop to get some decent runs? We're not after steeps, and aware to be cautious of the steepening nature of some of those runs. Will an hour of touring/walking (one skier, one snowboarder) get to some good runs? Is it just as well to ski Dargo Bowl. Both should catch some morning sun to soften any ice, right?

2. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

If you are not after steeps go the Razorback not Dargo. You dont need to walk far at all 20 mins and start with the North and East facing slopes.

Having said that the very top of Dargo is not steep and will have more snow. Drive to the Mt Loch car park and have a look first, you will be able to see all the runs along the RB.

3. Housie

Housie Hard Yards

Sounds good. Thanks. I guess you're suggesting the Dargo bowl gets a bit steeper. Would it be similar to Australia Drift/top of Mary's Slide? Or does it get less sun in there?

4. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Its not so much the steepness, its the blind cliffs and ice. You lose an edge and unless you have an axe with you your not stopping. Not trying to scare you just thought you should know.

Probably about the same as Marys, cant remember exactly havent bothered with Marys since they put all the new lifts in.

5. Graeme

Graeme First Runs Endless Winter

The top part of Dargo bowl is green down the middle to blue from the sides. Further down, or dropping in from further along the ridge, there is a sudden gradient change to pretty steep - steeper than the guts of Marys, and an abrupt end at the creek. There are some big drop offs in places, depending on your line. The sun does not get in there as well as you might think - I have had occasion to look at the ice in the shadows and to walk away from it. On the other hand, at might be sublime - depends on the day.

There are good slopes off the east side of the Razorback quite close to the road, which become fairly steep as they drop. If you go a little further to the Big Dipper and the next hill past it, there are some nice more moderate slopes, some of which catch the morning sun. All within about 2km from the road. You probably won't gain any better skiing than that by going further, unless you go quite a bit further , closer to Diamentina Spur.

6. Housie

Housie Hard Yards

Thanks Sidetrack and Graham. That is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for. We'll err on the side of caution. If we get a bit of fresh snow I suppose some of what has been said becomes redundant.

7. Housie

Housie Hard Yards

Sorry about the mispelling Graeme.

8. Housie

Housie Hard Yards

OK, a few more questions. Is it feasible to overnight in that area? Two issues I suppose.

1. Is overnight parking allowed at Loch carpark or along the road at Diamatina Hut?
    2. Derrick hut area seems a little way off. Is it feasible to camp on the west side of the ridge, say on the spur heading down towards Bon Accord hut, before it gets steep? Alternative would be to head towards Derrick, but not go that far. I know it's not real BC, but a good introduction for a newcomer before we take him to Bogong. Also interested in this area to introduce my 12-year old son to snow camping in the spring.

A third question relates to snow shoes for a snowboarder. I guess they are a requirement if the snow is fresh and deep, or icy, so only not needed when it is 'just right'?

9. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

You can park at the start of the RB on the Alpine Way not sure about Loch during winter. If snow clearing machinery damages your car though its on you. Wont be a problem this weekend.

You can camp anywhere on the RB, just check where the wind is coming from and get out of it. There are a couple of places to camp out near Loch.

Snowshoes make it easier and safer to get around, espeacially with a pack on. You may not bother once you are out there and have boot packed a hill. But I would allways take them.

10. Graeme

Graeme First Runs Endless Winter

Overnight parking is fine at roadside beside Diametina Hut/start of Razorback, where the road is widened on the hut side. For overnight, if you go a little further along the Razorback than described above, where the Razorback gets a bit lower there are some nice spots amongst the trees