RE: Taking photos & driving @ Coronet Peak in October?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Mike2000, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Mike2000

Mike2000 Just Registered

Me and my wife will be going to Queenstown for 4 days in 20th October 2017 next month
    We are not skiiers and originally we are not going there for skiing but I realised that we will be living in Arthurs Point @ Airbnb which is about 15 min drive from Coronet Peak and there are few questions I would like to ask:

1) I believe the ski activitiy may have closed by then? (correct me if I am wrong). We are planning to hire a normal Toyota Cronulla car, so can we drive there and just purely play with the snow provided there is still snow in Oct? And maybe take some nice photos along the way on top of the mountain

2) We have 0 experience in driving snow condition, so is there snow on the road along the way? If so, we might skip it since we are inexperienced with snow driving.

3) I heard that the Skippers Road is actually the dangerous road in the world but I just saw on Google Map, on the way up, is to that direction? Or unless I am looking at the wrong direction?

Your answer and advice will be appreciated before going there!

Thanks

2. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

You'll be a snow driving expert after Thredbo earlier. The Cronulla should be fine.

3. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

2 Questions - why so close and why so late ?

4. Mike2000

Mike2000 Just Registered

Why so close? It was by co incident when booking the accomodation few months ago

Why so late? Because Oct is the only period that we have holiday and like said, our purpose is not for skiing anyways but we are more than happy to play with snow or wander around in Coronet Peak if doable

Kletterer likes this.
  5. Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture
    30 Day Pass

Will be doable, but don't expect heaps of snow.

6. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Youll probably have to walk a ways to touch snow that time of year..