1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Re-waterproofing tent (ground sheet)

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by hpsauce, Jul 1, 2019.

1. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I have a high-end 5-6 person tent....that has been brilliant for 12 years. ...snow, rain, wind etc.
    But....gave it a test run on the weekend on wet ground. 2 problems:
    1. Taping on seams is cooked. All peeling off now. But....no massive drama.....just a PITA as I'll need to brush on seam sealer over the whole thing.
    2. Bigger problem ...it seems the waterproofing on the ground sheet has degraded. Standing on the inside of tent with wet ground underneath leaves a wet footprint. It uneven wets through under a small bag sitting on the ground sheet.
    Does anyone know the best way/options to reproof a groundsheet? I'm real skeptical of simple "spray-on" stuff for ground sheet application.
    I could make my own footprint.....but that will be a ton of work to do it just right.

A forumite on here told me to replace it is about $1k new! :eek: So keen to try and get another year or 2 out of it.

2. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Use a sheet of Tyvek as an inner footprint.

hpsauce likes this.
  3. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I reproofed the floor in a tent with some stuff that came in a can and I painted it on. It did work....for a while before it started peeling in places, and also added 500gms to the weight of the tent.

Would never bother re-proofing again, not worth all the trouble and weight gain. Keep the tent for dry weather use, or use Tyvek as suggested above.

Maybe contact one of the equipment repairers, they might be able to cut out the old floor and sew in a new one? Probably debatable whether it's worth it though on a 12 year old tent that has been exposed to lots of UV.

hpsauce likes this.
  4. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Or make a footprint out of builders plastic, the 200 micron orange stuff.

hpsauce likes this.
  5. LastMile

LastMile Hard Yards

Wash the groundsheet and/or floor with Dawn dishwashing detergent solution then apply new sealant:

https://www.gearaid.com/products/seam-grip-sealant-tent-fabric

I got excellent results on my Marmot 4-season tent fly with the above approach (also re-sealed the seams).

When I get the time I'm going to treat the floor on my 20 year old Sierra Designs 3-season tent with the same.

6. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

What's the tent? $1000- doesn't buy you all that much at the moment when you start talking 4+ people capacity. I have made my own rewaterproofing using a good neutral silicon and hydrocarbon solvent and the results have been good 4 out of 5 times. Never made a proper footprint with grommets and such but floor protectors are easy with the builders plastic recommended above. The hard part is finding some place airy so the fumes don't kill you and at the same time protected from wind and dust.

hpsauce likes this.
  7. hpsauce

Cheers!
    @stansi .....yes...I had spotted that suggestion online. But I had never handled tyvek....so wasn't sure of weight and durability etc.
    @GS.....good info. and good to hear the real world durability of the products that promise a lot.
    @Moondog55 ...Tatonka Family Camp. Like I said...outstanding tent. Would buy another if I I could access again at a reasonable price.
    Might try out the builders plastic/Tyvek option and see if I can get another season out of it.

8. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Tatonka Family camp? Did you have that listed for sale on eBay a couple of years ago? I seriously looked at one of those

9. hpsauce

Nah.....never offered for sale. Would be more likely to buy another.

10. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

800-Euros in Germany so not much change from $1500- landed here. Worth repairing for another season or two then. Helsport do a couple similar

11. hpsauce

That looks real like nice stuff. I note they demonstrate it on a small patch on a stuff sack. I can't imagine using that over the whole floor area of my big tent. Maybe a 2 person.

12. LastMile

LastMile Hard Yards

It took 1 1/2 bottles to do a 2-person 4-season fly with vestibule. I probably could have done it with one if I'd been more efficient from the start. I tried applying it with the fly installed inside-out on the tent, but i didn't spread well. Once I tooks the fly off and applied it a few sections at a time on our outdoor table it spread surprisingly well.

From memory it was about $18 a bottle, so not too big an investment to revitalise a $1000 tent snow tent.

But yes, based on the links above the floor of your tent looks like a big job. A DIY sealant applied with a floor mop on a hard surface is probably your fastest solution.