1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Real estate, and staff accommodation

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by telecrag, Nov 8, 2017.

1. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting article

http://www.snowsbest.com/solve-ski-town-housing-crisis/

Although I think its wrong, or getting wronger, about Australian resorts, Jindy prices have doubled in a short period, for instance a one beddy in Horizons is now $220K when not long ago it was half that. Also the camping problem this year, was not just visitors. The noticeboard was full of staff looking for a room too.

If more people buy a holiday home for only their use, and rentals look to the lucrative short term market....the resorts may need to buy/develop more property? And people wanting to relocate, and become a local? (I know, it takes five generations before you are local!).

2. sbm

sbm One of Us

3. Whatever really

Whatever really Addicted

It’s not just Jindy, Bright has gone up a huge amount in 2 years past.
    1 bed units were $98k now $220k, houses even more.
    Same has happened in Queenstown NZ where staff are sharing bedrooms with up to 3-4 per room

ladycamper likes this.
  4. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

For years both Thredbo and Perisher have relied on the private rental market in Jindy to house some of thier staff and i dont think they have added any more stock .
    Some rooms may have disappeared when the Freedom passes were introduced with cheap accommodation at the station.
    With the pickup of jindy real estate all the unloved apartments that were used as staff accommodation have now been sold to new owners that want to use it for themselves.

dawooduck likes this.
  5. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Looked at a snow job once didn't fancy being ripped off paying a fortune to share an austere room and live in cramped quarters. They became indignant when I suggested I felt like I would be ripped off.

6. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Berridale ROFL

Seriously though, most of the people we know have been doing seasons for several years and have their accommodation sorted out. For those doing just one season it is really difficult. They guys we know who got staff accommodation at Smiggins went backwards financially over the season.

Ted Harper likes this.
  7. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Like seasonal farm work, the snow industry also has legal, but exploitative, arrangements for staff accommodation.

dawooduck likes this.
  8. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Nothing's changed, or put another way, may have only gotten worse.

Did a season in CO 17 years ago. When the lift co found out some of us OS workers were getting ready to sleep in the back of utes, they suddenly found (very decent I must say) local, lift co owned share accom with local staff...

ladycamper likes this.
  9. Barras

Barras Addicted

I'm currently looking in Jindy and it's interesting when looking at the ROI, say buying a $350K unit, renting out on a 52 week lease it should return around $16K PA, if rented out to staff (16 week) it should also return around 15-16K, but if on the short term rental market it should return around $25K, but when you take into account the fees involved in the short term rental you end up around the $16K mark again, so either way the return work out to be around the same in all instances.

Some of the real estate agents have mentioned that the predict that the staff will need to start looking in Berrifdale as more and more homes are being sold to people that want to use it during the season and as such can't be let to staff.

10. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

The resorts better resort to buiding their own accommodations again for THEIR staff, cause the township is growing only for private purchases. The owners will no longer lease to resort staff due to the headaches caused by them and also, they wish to stay in their own property for peak season and they can't do that if they do a full season lease.
    ...and it now needs a Coles, Aldi, more butchers etc. It absolutely can handle it with the huge increase in town permanent population and year round tourists. Welcome to Sydney's mountain suburb!

11. Billy_Buttons

@Richard duplicate threads appearing?

Myazma likes this.
  12. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Adopt the gulag technique. Drop them in a forest with some tools and tell them to get building.

dawooduck and ladycamper like this.
  13. Billy_Buttons

...definitely needs a Dan Murphys as well! :emoji_champagne::emoji_champagne_glass::emoji_cocktail::cheers:
    ...and one of these :emoji_aerial_tramway: as well! ;)

Ted Harper and ladycamper like this.
  14. WaitAwhile

I wouldn't have thought it would cost that much money to put additional staff quarters out at the station or across the road.
    They already have bulk catering facilities at the Station.
    One of the downsides after the mining boom was a large excess of dongas,some should be spread out around S.A ,N.S.W and QLD .
    In W.A they have numerous mining camps , that have long since closed, with all the dongas , laundry rooms , dining rooms and other facilities just left there, but distance is the issue for transportation.

ladycamper likes this.
  15. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Andrew Forrest moved a stack of them to Vic in 2009 for temporary accommodation after the fires (as a philanthropic act). But they were still needed in WA then. But it means it can be done.

ladycamper likes this.
  16. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

mt beauty still cheap as chips

17. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It will get worse as the 2k workers for the Snowy Hydro 2 come on board. They should be centred about Cooma but they will soak up housing stock in Cooma, Berridale, Jindy & others.

ladycamper likes this.
  18. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

When the extra hydro power station was built on the kiewa some years back it sucked up mt beauty rental stock and pushed up house prices. I don't think they ever returned to the old level.

But in general mt beauty is relatively affordable, just not the huge bargain it used to be.

19. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I think you'll find many of the the long term seasonal workers and older workers will tell you there is no money in it at all, it's all about lifestyle. Nothing has changed.

ladycamper likes this.
  20. skichanger

Won't most of the jobs be nearer to Tumut than anywhere else?

21. skifree

People will live where A) where suits them, the latter being broad canvas thanks to the automobile B) where they can.

Do a real estate search centered on Tumut and let me know how big the circle is before you get a possible 2000 listings.

ladycamper likes this.
  22. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Gundagai before Cooma. 30 minutes v 2 hours.

ladycamper, skifree and skichanger like this.
  23. skichanger

Completely agree but I would expect there to be some temporary accommodation closer to where the work is. And some places may be closer in a straight line but way further away by road.

24. skifree

Snowy Hydro 2 will take years, many workers will relocate with their families so they will not be looking to stay in a donga.

25. gaz35

khancoban is dirt cheap as is corryong. Still a fair drive up the mountain

Seth and skifree like this.
  26. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Or Cootamundra or Wagga. All closer than Cooma.

skichanger likes this.
  27. Billy_Buttons

If they do it the old-fashioned way and build work camps....very probable that staff will drive-in, drive-out, to wherever they choose to settle with family and schools.

ladycamper likes this.
  28. skifree

Why build a work camp when workers can rent their own homes and pay for their own transportation to & from work just like the vast bulk of Oz workers?

29. Billy_Buttons

Not unlike WA miners etc. Relatively remote from towns.

ladycamper likes this.
  30. WaitAwhile

Not unlike the good old days when men were men and if you wanted to earn the big bucks and get ahead in life you moved the whole family up to the mining towns up north for 5 or 6 years.
    These days you have the namby pamby brigade that want fly in/out to the mining towns and dont generate anything for the local towns.
    Maybe just do that from Sydney to keep all the mums happy that dont want to take the family to the bush.

31. Billy_Buttons

...as I said...
    "If they do it the old-fashioned way and build work camps....very probable that staff will drive-in, drive-out, to wherever they choose to settle with family and schools."
    They can/will settle their family in the vicinity of the work. ie. West of site or east of site, eg Jindy, Cooma, Berridale,

WaitAwhile likes this.
  32. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Wont it all be done with 45something visa people? Or a new solution to Manus et al? Or use the people in jail?

man there is something wrong with how this government just throws money around like its printing it, when there are so many easy solutions!

malas1 likes this.
  33. gaz35

better still - why can't they keep their home wherever they presently live, get their spouse to buy an expensive property near where they are to work, get the taxpayer to pay the rent on your spouse's property for you while you are working there and living in it, and when you are sacked later on your spouse sells the property to prop up your family superannuation.

34. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Free accommodation or provided at far below market rates can attract staff, as long as it's of a reasonable standard. Plus we have enough people here who can do jobs or be trained, it's time to protect our interests and cease this practice of preferring foreigners

35. WaitAwhile

Based on some figures a ski instructor told us that was in a 3 bedroom apartment (sleeps 6) in Jindabyne they make a profit on staff that are put in private rentals..
    I always assumed it was slightly subsidized.

ladycamper likes this.
  36. skichanger

All the instructors I know organise their own accommodation. There is some accommodation for lifties but it is very limited and they need to get in very early to get it.

37. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

FIFO "for the sake of the families" but likely to end in marriage breakup

38. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

They don't fare much better living on the mine or in a mine town. High rates of depression, isolation, suicide, drug use and drinking.

Perhaps broadly our capitalist and work system is dysfunctional and alienating, especially with work becoming more precarious and the rules stacked in favour of employers & labour hire companies.

39. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Out of curiosity, how much is the cost of building a house in Jindy region?

I know, how long is a piece of string?

My son is building a 4 bed/2 bath double brick home in Perth, good specification, ready to move in, for under $300k for the construction

I'm thinking retirement here, but if I purchased a slab of land out the back of Jindy, and looked to building a nice 3 bedder, what sort of numbers would I be looking at?

40. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

And a Maccas as well !!!!

Telemark Phat likes this.
  41. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

My guess is add another 30% to Perth prices. Based on cost to build in Dubbo vs Sydney.

42. gareth_oau

so if you are buying a rural block out the back of jindy, how much would you need to budget for power, water, etc

43. Billy_Buttons

44. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You would struggle to get 18sq 4bed ens double garage in Canberra for $300k, for a decent builder I’d say $330k. So I’d expect Jindy to be over that

45. skichanger

mmm have you been folling the conversation on facebook? ROFLROFLROFL The annual sh1t stirring post about Maccas. :fishing:

zac150 likes this.
  46. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

1000 plus kids in the Jindy schools! Talking to agents there are a lot of folks moving down here permanently- some teleworking, others retiring etc. Homes in and around town selling for close to 1.4MM and in some cases not even getting advertised!! A shortage of land and when it is released it goes quick. Summer increasingly busy and no shortage of winter holiday makers...

It’s a combination that is placing ever increasing pressure on housing. So the availability for resort staff seems to be on the decline.

Friends of mine who have been here for 3 generations, lease their home in town for circa 5k per week. No issue getting folks in there, in fact, they are now being asked for summer leases. Good for them, as they simply relocate to a unit they own.

Building here has its own challenges. A builder friend has almost 2 years work lined up. Who would have thought that. Trades such as tilers nearly impossible to source. All these things increase the cost of building. If you can get a builder.

I don’t know of anyone building cheap, low cost housing for seasonal workers. There’s too much opportunity beyond that.

All up I guess this places the onus on the resorts and I am unaware of them wanting to be in the accommodation business? It’s not core business for them. Having said that, happy to be corrected.

No idea what the long term fix is??? Plenty of land and facilities the station resort as someone else mentioned.

As an aside..... I was at The Brewery last night. Out of season and the place was absolutely jam packed. Jindy is just getting busier.

POW_hungry and zac150 like this.
  47. Billy_Buttons

As I have said in another thread, Jindy is now the Byron Bay/Noosa of the Snowy Mountains.

dawooduck likes this.
  48. gareth_oau

49. gareth_oau

but that is typical supply/demand/squeeze/expansion of the market.

If building takes 2 years, then more builders will consider operating there

50. Billy_Buttons

Contact the agent....and let us know what they want for it!...Please, very curious!