1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Recent experience with ski school in Nozawa Onsen

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Sharka, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Sharka

Sharka First Runs

Hi everyone,

I am looking to visit Nozawa Onsen for one week at the beginning of February, with 2 kids in tow. They are 5 & 9 years old. They have been to the ski school at Myoko Kogen for the past 2 years and had a super time. One great thing about Myoko Snowsports is that they would guarantee a kid’s English speaking group lesson as long as you've signed up in advance, within their peak season period. I emailed the ski school at Nozawa Onsen to ask about their policy, and they didn’t give me a straight-up answer, except that they are still waiting for their booking system to open up for next season. I have read prior posts before where parents got stung by private lesson price at Nozawa Onsen in the past, but then it's such a popular destination now, I can't imagine the school not having enough kids in February? I am wondering if anyone has recent experience with the ski school that would clarify my concern. Right now I am trying to finalize deciding between Myoko (again) or Nozawa Onsen (trying something new)!

2. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

If I read your post correctly Myoko Snowsport says the same thing ' within their peak season period. '
    Also 99% of kids are back in Australia and at school in February .

skifree and M_G like this.
  3. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

You should be okay in first week of February. A few families now skip the first one or two weeks of school.

4. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

5. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Do you really think that recommending these freelance outfits helps the local economy in any way ?

M_G likes this.
  6. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have not used skischool however I can say that the local community will go out of there way to help you as much as possible and if you were not happy I would think they will sort as best as they can.

M_G and Nozawaman like this.
  7. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

It actually spreads things around a little. They were based at Togari Onsen last season.

8. M_G

This is basically the Uber equivalent of ski instruction.

I wonder if Harkin was named after Harkin Banks?

9. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

But what do they contribute ?
    I have met the owner and he is a nice guy , but I live in Nozawa and I strongly believe that we should support the local community as much as possible , and yes the Nozawa official ski school is run under license , but all the instructors live in the village , eat in the village and drink in the village as well as pay rent , not to mention as others here have said , that if there is any problems with injury or accidents you are in a far better situation than if you have an Uber instructor.
    Something to think about while you are establishing yourself in a new community .

10. Sharka

Sharka First Runs

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just have to "risk it" and book ski school directly. Part of why I am so concerned is because (1) my kids really enjoy hanging out with other kids of similar age (2) doesn't hurt to have an instructor to teach my 9 years old son some general on-slope safety and skills.

11. gibbsy

gibbsy Addicted

had my neice and nephew in with them before and had nothing but excellent service and well integrated into resort infrastructure- meeting points, gear storage etc. Would highly recommend. Also, there is a relatively good chance that a group lesson would only include the 2 of them.

12. silva

silva One of Us

I was there in 2017 in January. I was after advanced group lessons for my snowboarding son. He really enjoys riding with other kids so loves to join group lessons. I asked every day and for of the 10 days we were there they did not run any group lessons for intermediate or advanced snowboarding kids - the only option was private lessons (which he did not want or need - would rather ride with us).
    I think you will have better luck with kids who ski but I would not rely on it.

13. Cheese Mountain

Cheese Mountain Hard Yards

Chinese New Year is the first week of February in 2019, so there will be a lot of English-speaking expats from around Asia going to Japan to ski. Plus Singaporeans (also English speaking). So chances of other English-speaking kids at the ski school are high.

14. M_G

This is becoming more difficult with the government crackdown along with AirBnB/Booking.com.

#14 M_G, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2018
  15. Mils

Mils One of Us

Its like Uber, AirBNB and the like, see a need, fill a need.

16. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

Also heading to Nozawa in early Jan. We are all beginners (family of 4) and planning a private lesson for the first day. Looks like Nozawa holidays (Australian run?) is much cheaper than the Nozawa ski school. Any experience of either? Lesson would need to be in English. Cheers

17. M_G

Unless it's changed NH lessons were for their guests only. If you've booked through them you'd need to check.

18. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

good point - will check thanks!

19. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

whilst im here... anyone with tips/hacks on a Nozawa stay - especially maybe using ski lockers for gear near the slopes to make life easier. We are staying at Kawaichiya Onsen and it looks a ways away from the main gondola. Any suggestions on where to rent skis and store gear at end of day? Cheers,

20. hatto

21. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

. cheers! could we leave boots with them during the day then and drop skis and poles at the end of the day - to repeat next day? would you recommend that shop?

22. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

NH wrote back immediately.. and yeah they prioritise their guests for their lessons so I guess thats a no in January and peak time.

23. hatto

Yes, All my friends use them

24. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

awesome.. will look it up. thanks - appreciated

25. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

Ski school came back pretty quick and should be able to sort out a lesson. thanks for the steer. Looks like they take beginners to a different slope - Hikage (?) so maybe the rental/storage place recommended wont work. Can always do that on the following days. Cheers

26. hatto

Hikage is the next valley over. They run a little skidoo train over. Not very far.
    You are down the bottom of the village but are closer to Hikage then Nagasaka. If you use the Yu road (travelator) it will take you straight to Hikage.
    This place is in Hikage base area
    http://shirakaba8.com/rental/
    Alternatively you can walk up to a bus stop and it will drop you at Nagasaka Gondy. It will also drop you back.
    The town bus runs about every 10 mins from 8.30am till around 5pm and has about 7 stops (depends where you get on)

27. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

awesome.. our place is not too far from the Yu road. Would anyone be able to suggest the best runs for beginners... maybe we can just use the Hikage gondola every day? thx again

28. hatto

Nozawa is three Valleys at the bottom of Mountain. All three are flat.
    Once you go up the Gondola's The middle area is called Paradise and Uenotaira. These are both Beginner and intermediate areas.
    Top of Mountain is Intermediate/advanced.
    However from the middle of the mountain back to bottom can be advanced. There are ways down though or you can gondy back to base.
    Look at the trail map it will help you understand.
    It is very easy.

29. dakeeper

dakeeper First Runs

awesome thanks... maps look good and plenty beginner slopes starting up Uenotaira