Recommendations for Europe in April (a week for a family)

raspberry

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne
Hi all, looking for expert advice with absolutely no background knowledge... Something to dream about for Easter 2023, which will be in early April.

We are a couple with two kids (primary/junior high school in 2023) not so much die-hard skiers but we always (well, when we can) look forward to our annual 4-5 days Falls Creek trip and maybe a couple of day-trips to Buller. I ski greens, the rest of the family is more adventurous.

We have been thinking about skiing overseas for years, and Easter 2023 seems to be an opportunity. We are hoping to go to Europe to visit the family in an Eastern European country where we won’t be able to ski at that time, and want to add a week of skiing to the start of this trip.

We are very used to the Falls Creek setup – staying on-mountain in a good-looking, tight, accessible village with restaurants and cafes, some easy runs and some more challenging ones, nice lodge-style accommodation with cooked breakfast and good dry room.

What would you recommend for a short skiing trip to Europe (a week max) in early-mid April, ideally similar to FC facilities? Is on-mountain accommodation worth pursuing? The goal is for things to be easy and relaxed. My problem is that some people in the fam have a short fuse and get stressed easily (teenagers, men...) so the easier it is getting to the lifts and then back to the accomm the less stress for everyone...

No preference for the country, just want good beginner-intermediate skiing, good accommodation and good overall kid-friendly vibe.
We are open to Eastern European countries too (Poland, Slovakia?) but not sure how reliable the snow is in April and how good the service is. We are not crazy snobs but have some reasonable expectations, FC standard is all we need :)

As a general question - we are thinking of bringing our skiing jackets/pants, helmets and boots with us (not the skis, too much trouble) and then posting them back to Aus before proceeding with our off-snow trip. Is this a sustainable approach or is it easier/cheaper to just rent everything on the spot?

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Hmm the old forum rule.. find a resort above 2,000m alt and/or glaciers.

Search here:
https://www.bergfex.com/

Some ideas that come to mind are Val Thorens, Zermatt, Kaprun, Stubai, Stelvio, Saas Fee

Can stay at Pensions or self-catered chalets
Or go to Åre (newer forum rule :evil:)

Latitude63.39904280
Longitude13.08150590

sunpeaker

Hard Yards
Sep 10, 2011
Sydney Australia
Hi all, looking for expert advice with absolutely no background knowledge... Something to dream about for Easter 2023, which will be in early April.

We are a couple with two kids (primary/junior high school in 2023) not so much die-hard skiers but we always (well, when we can) look forward to our annual 4-5 days Falls Creek trip and maybe a couple of day-trips to Buller. I ski greens, the rest of the family is more adventurous.

We have been thinking about skiing overseas for years, and Easter 2023 seems to be an opportunity. We are hoping to go to Europe to visit the family in an Eastern European country where we won’t be able to ski at that time, and want to add a week of skiing to the start of this trip.

We are very used to the Falls Creek setup – staying on-mountain in a good-looking, tight, accessible village with restaurants and cafes, some easy runs and some more challenging ones, nice lodge-style accommodation with cooked breakfast and good dry room.

What would you recommend for a short skiing trip to Europe (a week max) in early-mid April, ideally similar to FC facilities? Is on-mountain accommodation worth pursuing? The goal is for things to be easy and relaxed. My problem is that some people in the fam have a short fuse and get stressed easily (teenagers, men...) so the easier it is getting to the lifts and then back to the accomm the less stress for everyone...

No preference for the country, just want good beginner-intermediate skiing, good accommodation and good overall kid-friendly vibe.
We are open to Eastern European countries too (Poland, Slovakia?) but not sure how reliable the snow is in April and how good the service is. We are not crazy snobs but have some reasonable expectations, FC standard is all we need :)

As a general question - we are thinking of bringing our skiing jackets/pants, helmets and boots with us (not the skis, too much trouble) and then posting them back to Aus before proceeding with our off-snow trip. Is this a sustainable approach or is it easier/cheaper to just rent everything on the spot?
Hi Raspberry
Livigno (1850m-2780m) in Italy has fairly reliable snow into April. Really nice village, with great lifts & skiing, plenty of accommodation, restaurants, shops, activities etc. Easy access from Milan or Zurich by train / bus or car. We stayed at Hotel Francesin. Very clean, comfortable & just a short 100m walk to lifts. But plenty of different accom. choices in Livigno. Very suitable for a family holiday as it offers something for everyone.
We take jacket, pants & boots simply for the comfort & familiarity of having our own gear. Then rent the latest ski's when we get there. You can then easily change them for different snow conditions.

raspberry

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne
Many thanks all!

@Hermannator - I'll check all these out.

@sunpeaker - great detailed info, sounds very much like what we are after. Added bonus is that we haven't been to Italy yet.

@Hyst - we also have never been to Sweden, I was just about to plan a few weeks in Scandinavia when the whole Covid thing took off... So I'll check this out too.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Many thanks all!

@Hermannator - I'll check all these out.

@sunpeaker - great detailed info, sounds very much like what we are after. Added bonus is that we haven't been to Italy yet.

@Hyst - we also have never been to Sweden, I was just about to plan a few weeks in Scandinavia when the whole Covid thing took off... So I'll check this out too.
A few weeks in Scandinavia?

No snow left anywhere else - go her:

https://riksgransen.se/en/ (far out in the middle of the very north)

Latitude: 68° 25' 23.99" N
Longitude: 18° 07' 12.00" E

However, might not satisfy all you wishes.

Reactions: raspberry
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
This page on bergfex shows proposed end of season dates which gives an indication of what areas expect to be open in April, though of course no guarantee. Snowmaking is excellent in Austria so still a fair indicator.

so good candidates would include Obergurgl, Fiss/Serfaus, Ischgl, Obertauern, Saalbach-Hinterglemm

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
In general on snow accommodation and directly by ski lifts will be quite a bit more expensive than lower valley places. You can get some very nice, friendly inexpensive pensions (B&B) where you just need to hop on a free ski bus to get to/from the lifts. Depends on your budget.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Here are a few of my old TR's which included some skiing into April.

Last edited:

RTL

Hard Yards
May 19, 2016
Thanks heaps @Heinz, looks like I have some dreamy reading for when the kids are in their beds tonight.
Had a good experience with Val Thorens.Beginner lift ticket option which gives you more terrain than Falls Ck. Free long magic carpets.Lots of supply of accommodation.Village might lack atmosphere of a real village, but on the upside,it does have a Carrefour supermarket for keeping food costs down.

Kenzie

Hard Yards
Sep 23, 2019
Any of the purpose built French resorts (eg Ste Foy, La Rosiere, Meribel, Val Thorens, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Tignes, Val D'Isere) would suit your requirements.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass