1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Recommendations for Nozawa next time...

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Steve Ward, Jan 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

Just returned from our first trip to Nozawa Onsen as a family and loved it. Will try the fire festival week next year. Any accommodation for family of 4 that folks would recommend? Ideally private bathroom but negotiable... We stayed at Kawaichiya and it was great but pricey. A ryokan would still be ideal but happy to take recommendations. Cheers.

Ramenman likes this.
  2. grantn

grantn Addicted

My recommendation is to stay in a pension and get your family used to tatami mats. If you want western beds, private bathroom and a room with 4 or more western beds you are going to pay a lot for it.

I am in Nozawa right now with my family. The 4 of us are spread across 2 large tatami rooms, we have loads of space, and the onsen in the pension is that good that I couldn't be bothered using any of the ones in the village. Japanese brekky is massive, different every day and outstanding. Drying room is big and warm. We pretty well have the place to ourselves. Only one other room is booked. It took my family a while, but now we all love the experience and wouldn't do anything else.

3. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

thx! no issue with tatami - we used to live in Japan. Where are you staying?

4. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We stayed there back in 2011 pre kids. Breakfast and onsen were amazing. Now with kids I'll be following this post.

Steve Ward likes this.
  5. Coutta

Coutta Hard Yards

We've stayed at Maruken Sanso for 3 consecutive years and really love the place. Great location, really friendly family owned, great food with everything you could ask for.

6. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

thx a lot! could I ask how you book and what it costs? cheers

7. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Wanting a ensuite bathroom in Nozawa is odd

Hyst likes this.
  8. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

negotiable.. we went super deluxe last week. private onsen - the works. will likely downgrade next time!

9. rikedwards

rikedwards Hard Yards

10. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

thx.. we enjoyed the cafe and their hot chocolates! was it noisy there being on the Main Street? and can you give an idea of cost?

11. rikedwards

rikedwards Hard Yards

Tanuki lodge is located off the back of the main building (cafe, restaurant etc). The lodge is a renovated wooden building, you get a few footsteps at night from the staff staying upstairs, but thats about it. I'd guess you would be looking at one of their family rooms, and I think during School Holidays in January you would be looking at ~$350 per night

Steve Ward likes this.
  12. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

sounds good cheers

13. Coutta

Coutta Hard Yards

I'd try and book with them directly. I think the details are:
    Telephone (81)-269-85-2734
    email marukensanso@gmail.com

Ask for Mamoru

Not sure on the pricing as it's been a couple of years since I last stayed there.

Hope this helps

Steve Ward likes this.
  14. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

cheers - and he already replied. Defo an option for us. All other suggestions welcome from folks.

15. munja

munja Hard Yards

We're staying at Schneider hotel this year, that might have option that suit you.

16. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

cheers will check it out

17. loklok

loklok One of Us

This is more of a trip report, rather than a recommendation. We stayed at Kawamotoya Ryokan for 1 week in January just now (including the Fire Festival date). We had a large tatami room that slept 3 (other rooms exist that sleep up to 5). The price was reasonable (around $130 pp, p/n) including breakfast.
    The location was OK - quiet, 5 min walk to the Chuo Bus Terminal/Shuttle Bus stop, also quite close to the Fire Festival.
    The facilities were basic. The breakfast was OK. The rooms had a toilet/washstand, and there was a shared bathroom (onsen style) on the ground floor. Shoes were worn up to your room. There is a public onsen immediately adjacent to the hotel. A western style dinner was available for ¥1,000 (single plate) or ¥2,000 (all you can eat). A fantastic Okonomiyaki/Yakisoba restaurant is right next door - Akebitei (cheap and authentic).
    Would I stay there again? Maybe, but I would compare it to alternatives first. It was just a little too western, and plain, for my liking. I don't know what else you get for that kind of money in peak season.

18. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

cheers - how was town during fire festival? Packed or bearable? we want to go next year

19. loklok

loklok One of Us

The town was fine. No more crowded than at any other time. The festival venue itself seems to attract every living soul from miles around, on the night. But the crowd management is great, and you can see/smell/feel the flames and sparks no problem.

The festival itself starts quite early - around 7 or so. But it goes on and on until around 10, when the tower is finally set alight. In the meantime, there are drums, fireworks, crazy fire brand antics, and free sake for the crowd. But you don't need to stand there for the full 3 hours to get the experience. Many hotels have a live camera feed on TV, if you can't be bothered going outside in the cold for that long.

The biggest influence on crowd numbers on the slopes themselves, is simply the weekday/weekend difference. Very comfortable during the week, quite a lot more crowded on the weekend.

20. Steve Ward

Steve Ward Early Days

thats really helpful cheers. we plan to go Mon-Fri again for that reason so that sounds about right.