1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for on mountain ski hire?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by MamboKing, Aug 20, 2008.

1. MamboKing

MamboKing First Runs

Hi all!

I'm going to Falls Creek this weekend (wohoo) for the first time with three other mates. We're staying for 3 days. Our car is too small to carry ski equipment, so we are thinking of getting everything else on the base and only ski equipment on mountain. Does anyone have shop recommendations for ski hire on mountain itself?

We're all upper-beginner to lower-intermediate in skiing ability. So thinking of going for ski lift/lesson/hire pass from Falls Creek Sports...but it's $510 for 3-days. Are there any cheaper on-mountain ski hire deals people know of?

Also, at the end of the day, do the shops keep the ski equipment aside for you to pick up again next morning?

Cheers!

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

sometimes the decider in where to hire is where is convenient.

i'm not sure if you are saying that you are staying off-mountain but can't carry skis up and down every day.

if that is the case
    <ul><li> * I'm pretty sure that Rocky Valley Snowsports in Mt Beauty provide magnetic racks if you need them - check them out at http://www.rockyvalley.com.au</li><li> * you used to be able to hire lockers at cloud nine. if so, you could leave your skis there at night and get the chair down. ring ski school and ask about lockers</li><li> * or ring and ask the hire places if you can leave stuff overnight. I think you would have more luck with smaller places. the most convenient small ski hire place to go to every morning and evening would be Snowrider at the Falls Creek Hotel. ring and ask them (and FC Snowspots who are also convenient but may be less flexible) </li></ul>

If you are staying on mountain, let us know where and we can tell you what shops are convenient

#2 currawong, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

Yes, you can still hire the lockers - $6/day, and $20 deposit for key. You hire them from the Ski School office at Cloud Nine.

#3 Ulmerhutte, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  4. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

As Currawong says, it depends to a great extent, where you are staying. However Viking in Parallel St and Silverski on the corner of Sitzmark and slalom Sts.,advertise 3 day boots and ski hire at $75 with your lift and lesson ticket at $391 = $466, saving you $44. It is usual to take your equipment back to your accommodation but if not I think you would have to hire a locker.

5. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

I assume you will be staying off the mountain, otherwise why would you not take your gear back to your accom. If you are staying off the mountain, think about where you will leave your gear, if not those lockers. If the hire place is high up in the village, you will have a trudge up from your car in the morning, and down again in the evening.

6. K@os

K@os A Local

Well if your roof isnt occupied then you could try Ray's in Myrtleford. They give you free magentic roof racks!
    We usually stop here and get our gear and do our shopping before heading up. Great gear that's well tuned and they actually take the time to fit you out properly.

7. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

#7 parkmonkey, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013