Question Recommended European ski resorts (end Jan'19)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by VIC, Jul 3, 2018.

1. VIC

VIC Hard Yards

Hi all, firstly apologize that this is another "where should I go post". Last time i skied in Europe i was travelling solo and randomly picked one of those ski chalet packages that had everything sorted out. But now that I am looking up stuff on my own Europe seems to have too many choices its driving me nuts just trying to pick a location.

Background / preference:
    - Will be my 4th ski trip. Been to Kitzbuhel, Les Houche (Cham) and Nozawa.
    - Will be travelling with a partner 2nd trip. Been to Nozawa.
    - Looking to base ourselves in a resort for about a week, take some lessons and do some skiing on our own towards the tail end of the trip.
    - Besides the skiing, we really enjoy scenic mountains and ski resorts with the whole traditional feel with good food & drink.
    - Preferably a place that has good snow record in Jan
    - A few places we have looked at but still unsure about are Saalbach, Obergurgl & Avoriaz.

Will be grateful to have any recommendations. Thanks guys

2. Hyst

Hyst One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

VIC and Joe like this.
  3. Joe

Joe Hard Yards

4. Stick

Stick Hard Yards

I spent a week in Innsbruck a couple of years ago. It has what you are after, plenty of Mountains and amazing scenery.

We went to Patscherkofel & Stubai Glacier, both would perfectly suit your needs.. Bus is easy to navigate and town is easy to walk around..

5. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

So many options.
    For snow sure and decent scenery while providing tree skiing if conditions are bad for visibility you could look at Paradiski in France, Milky Way in Italy/France, Dolomites in Italy, Aosta valley in Italy, Ischgl and Ziller Valley and Skiwelt and Saalbach in Austria.
    Plenty of others in Switzerland that fit the bill but it is generally the next level cost wise.

6. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Arlberg area in Austria. Myriad of resorts, villages and terrain. Delicious food and friendly people.

7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

This.

I'd pick a resort where you do the bulk of your skiing above 2000m.

Village doesn't necessarily need to be at 2000m, but there are plenty of examples of a lower village with an access lift up to a plateau/mid-station at 2000m-odd with most of the skiing above that.

8. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

January should be reasonably good just about anywhere so most options will be available (which I guess doesn't help you). The ones you listed will certainly fit the bill. Schladming would be another good one. Many villages will be down in the valley accessing terrain up the mountain by gondola, others will be higher up (like Avoriaz).
    This may (or may not) help: https://www.bergfex.com/

VIC likes this.
  9. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Hard Yards

In Jan 18 I had my first european ski trip to Val d’Isère. Vast trail network, plenty of snow and inexpensive (compared to Thredbo), could do worse. :) https://www.valdisere.com/en/

10. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

As I've posted elsewhere I think Val d'Isere is the best ski resort in the world.

VIC likes this.
  11. andrew7

andrew7 Hard Yards

Another vote for Val D'Isere, great blend of mountains, food and views.

I was in Zermatt in Jan this year (admittedly during a period of epic snowfall) and think it stacks up with the best taking into account historic village/great ambiance, good food, choice of a few big mountains (plus ducking over to Italy/Cervinia), good steeps and groomers, and the awe inspiring Matterhorn. Its also snowsure/high. It is not cheap but (v Oz) represents good value and should IMO be on every serious skier/mountain lovers bucket list/

Apresski, VIC and CarveMan like this.
  12. VIC

VIC Hard Yards

Thanks for the recommendations @Hyst . Val Gardena looks gorgeous.

Definitely putting the Serra Ronda on my bucket list. Not sure if our ski abilities will allow us to enjoy it at the moment though.

Will probably rack up more ski time this season and visit the Dolomites in the next. :)

13. ttn

ttn Hard Yards

Four years ago, our family (mrs and I were over 45 young at the time) took the 4 days lessons (2hr daily) at Perisher and progressed from level 1 to 3 and now we just ski on any pistes as long as not mogul :D the old knees just cant handle

Not that we are any good now but as we have survived skiing in Australia we can ski anywhere else ;) imhe

14. Zeroz

Zeroz One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

There are about 3621 ski resorts in Europe so you are going to get a lot of recommendations. See Heinz's Bergfex link

Snow doesn't fall evenly across Europe so the later you can book the better. I book in early January for late January skiing,
    but some people aren't comfortable doing this. End of January is quiet and accom is easy to get.

I'd pick one of the main food groups. One of the big areas where you can easily ski from village to village.
    They are popular for a reason. https://www.snowpak.com.au/advice/best-ski-resorts-in-europe

VIC, CarveMan and Joe like this.
  15. Kopite

Kopite Addicted

Meribel for your classic village feel and access to LOADS of terrain. Plenty of it +2000m so should be good for the snow. Val Thorens for easier access to the higher terrain (starts at 2200) and lower cost, though not as classic village style as Meribel. Courchavel if you're made of money!

16. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Can't really go wrong with the snowpak top 10.

Guess you really want to go to a big name resort for a trip across the world, so maybe St Moritz, Davos/Klosters, Les Deux Alpes could be considered...

17. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan Early Days

Given your nominated criteria, Zermatt really stands out. It delivers everything you're after - as scenic as it gets and the best on mountain food anywhere in the world, plus plenty of activity in the traditional (and car free village) after that. The skiing is high and with sufficient variety to keep anyone entertained. It is hard to do on a budget though.

Would support the Val D'Isere suggestion as well - I also think it is just about the best all round resort going around, not the absolute best at any particular aspect of ski resort ranking, but in just about the next tier for just about every relevant criteria. Much easier to do on a budget than Zermatt but stay in the main village not La Daille.

I wouldn't go to the Dolomites in January, it's is so much better there in Spring.

You've been to French and Austrian resorts so if I had to lock in something now I'd pick Zermatt , but
    what I would ideally do would be to book flights to Geneva whenever you think the timing is right for that but leave the rest to later. It sounds like you don't have your heart set on anything in particular, your travelling as a couple not a family and in January you shouldn't have any trouble finding accommodation somewhere suitable. Wait and see where the snow falls....

Happy travels!

VIC likes this.
  18. VIC

VIC Hard Yards

Hi everyone....thank you very much for all your feed backs and recommendations!!!

After much deliberation we decided to head to Japan (Hakuba) instead of europe for our Jan'19 trip, mainly because of the shorter travelling time and shorter duration we have available for this trip.

But the comments and recommendation will definitely help us out in planning for the season after :)

19. Research101

Research101 Hard Yards

Another vote for Val D Isere, was there last Christmas and it was truly amazing, everything you could ask for.
    Dolmites are great too with magnificent views, but snow not so reliable as its lower, although snow making is expansive
    Enjoy

20. linked_recoveries

Damn. I'd vote for the Dolomites, but a decision seems to have been made.

21. dmz

dmz More cheeeese Gromit
    Ski Pass - Gold

We are looking to arrive at xmas so Dec snow is a must. Would like a great village feel with good food options. Also good for intermediate skiing. Have been to Zermatt in summer and it didnt strike me as having lots of intermediate but maybe Im wrong.
    Maybe a smaller place too rather than a huge resort (or maybe just a smaller vilage). Also, not way over the top price wise.

22. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

You are looking at one of the most expensive places in Europe at the most expensive time of the year and places at Xmas are probably already heavily booked - good luck with that.
    I'd consider places like Sölden, Obergurgl, Zell am See, Ischgl, Schladming, Saalbach, Obertauern, Mayrhofen ..

23. dmz

dmz More cheeeese Gromit
    Ski Pass - Gold

Thanks - wasnt looking at Zermatt but thanks for the options. We're actually going xmas 2020. Does anyone know how early one can book for xmas 2020?

24. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

You can probably book direct with hotels for Christmas 2020 in January 2019.