Recommended ski resort for a group

Discussion in 'United States' started by QT Muzz, Feb 9, 2019.

1. QT Muzz

QT Muzz Hard Yards

Would love to here your ideas / suggestions please:

We are a group of (6 adults 6 kids youngest 8 oldest 16) all advanced intermediate skiers looking to head to USA / Canada for a double 50th over the 2019 Christmas New Year period or maybe a week later. Looking to be staying close to the snow with good off mountain activities for a couple of friends who won't ski the entire time.
    Any suggestions of which resorts might foot the bill ... Whistler, Breckenridge and Snowmass have been thrown around to date ... any thoughts on these or other ideas

TIA :)

2. Slowman

Slowman Addicted
    Ski Pass: Gold

Christmas/New Year is a peak period cost and crowd-wise. The following week would be a better time to start. If you are only going for a week I'd suggest avoiding Colorado as most people need a few days to adjust to the altitude and the enforced rest time eats into your ski time. The resorts in Canada/British Columbia are at much lower altitudes and this problem does not arise. Canada is also better value for our dollar.

If you would prefer a big resort with lots of shops bars etc Whistler is pretty good and easier to get to than most resorts. In my experience you don't see the sun much there in January. If you are a group that makes its own entertainment and doing your own dinner preparation etc you might look at renting a big ski in ski out house at Silverstar which has very good intermediate terrain and a bunch of non alpine skiing activities like nordic skiing, skating and fat tyre bikes. As a smaller resort its prices are a fair bit less and being inland it is much sunnnier than Whistler.

If funds are not an issue - fine sunny times can be had at any number of Colorado and Utah resorts. Snowmass is very good for intermediates. My personal favourite in the US is Telluride.

QT Muzz likes this.
  3. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan Early Days

I think they're all great resorts where you would have a fantastic time. Personally, I'd lean towards Whistler from the list you've got there but maybe I have just been luckier with snow when I've been there.... though I suppose the statistics would suggest so might you be...

Is there a reason you've set yourself on North America though? I've spent seasons in the US when younger and traveled there a lot more since - I genuinely love going there, especially for family ski trips - but I would have thought a double 50th with that kind of group is screaming out for a trip to Europe!

I appreciate it is a step up in cost and complexity, but if you can manage that somewhere like Zermatt would be amazing. Big mornings skiing some amazing terrain in a great setting through to late long lunches with amazing food, pottering down the last part of the hill in the afternoon and spending time in the evening in a buzzy alpine village. That's where I'd go if it were me. Another great option could be the Dolomites - similar type of experience but replace some of the more serious skiing at Zermatt with more and longer intermediate cruising at the Dolomites. You could also reduce your costs by at least 25% I'd say.

As great as the big North American destination resorts are, they just aren't in the same league as the European equivalents for me.

Disclaimer: I spent my honeymoon split between Zermatt and Chamonix so will always have an extra soft spot for Zermatt! I've also done New Years in both of those places (as well as Whistler and a couple of other Austrian resorts now I think about it) and had a ball. Chamonix in particular puts on an amazing New Years party, but I don't think its really the best resort for the group you described.

4. Lelenio

Lelenio First Runs

Well either you go to Breckenridge in Colorado or try Alps in Europe (France, Switzerland). For example properties for rent in Alps are not that expensive at this time of year. Plus there are a lot of chalets with 6 bedrooms and more, all will depend on your budget and how high you want the house. Skiing there is really good and views are fantastic.

5. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local
    Ski Pass: Gold