Question Recovery after a hip replacement

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Moondog55, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 Dedicated Member

While I am optimistic I'm wondering if any forum participants who have had repair surgery would be willing to share advice and experiences with me.
    At least I now know why I was skiing so badly the last few seasons.
    I am scheduled for the 18th of January and I am under surgeons orders to not fall off ladders or get any scratches or bruises on my feet or legs between now and then. While every persons experience is different the surgery team expect me to be able to start training after about 6 to 8 weeks but that I may not be able to haul a sled back country for about a year depending on how fast the bones grows into the Titanium honeycomb on the back face of the prosthesis
    This is the Right hip, I have no idea about when they will do the Left but it is the right hip that is completely worn away

Poppies likes this.
  2. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Moondog, I have a good mate who was a sponsored skier many years and is also quite a good surfer. I think he turns 50 this year. He's fit and doesn't carry extra weight although put on a few kilos prior to his hip replacement due to pain and reduced exercise.
    He had his hip done in March or April last year and is back surfing every day now, not at 100% but not far off. He's going skiing in Japan in Feb and feels he will be skiing better than he has for a few years due to his renewed mobility.
    He's wrapt that he had the op done.
    Hope this provides some comfort.

Poppies and Ted Harper like this.
  3. Moondog55

This is what I am hoping for. I have really stacked on the weight myself not being able to ski or walk much and still having a huge appetite for food

4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Best wishes for the surgery and recovery

5. Bluebird

Bluebird Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes, all the best with your surgery and recovery. I'm expecting to have a hip replacement myself in the next few years so I'll be interested to see how your recovery/rehab goes. I hope that you'll be back on the snow before too long!

6. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

You obviously picked up on my weight slant. I was trying to be nice but can tell you from working with rehab patients in my previous sports medicine role. Weight is a major contributor of joint issues and in turn can be a considerable impost to recovery. Try your hardest Moondog to get it down pre operation. It will help you no end on the other side in recovery.

dr80 likes this.
  7. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey Dedicated Member
    Ski Pass - Silver

We recently had a similar discussion in the surf thread.

8. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

You need to understand the food that you eat, and the type of exercise you can do, and weight loss can be easy.

9. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I had a THR about 3 years ago. I've had other problems since but the THR went very well. I was very dilligent we woth rehab exercises. I chose to have my op in Sept so i could ski the next season. The surgeon wasn't too keen on me skiing, but agreed that i could the next season.

First run (drovers at falls) i was terrified that i would get halfway down the run and need to be rescued by ski patrol. No need to have worried. I was skiing ruined castle later that day.

I've never got back to where i was before the op but i think that is do do with my other issues, not the THR. Maybe after my next THR :). I took things pretty easily that first season - managed not to fall. I avoided ice, bad visibility and deep snow (fresh or slush) but still had a great time.

@Hippo has 2 THRs I think and as far as i know he is skiing as well as he ever did.

All the very best for your recovery

Ziggy and tele-whippet like this.
  10. Drewboy

Drewboy Dedicated Member
    Ski Pass - Gold

I replied in the surf forum with the same question.I had my replacement done 18 months ago.The speed of your recovery will depend on the procedure that you have.The anterior method has a quicker recovery which I had,skiing within 7 weeks and surfing in 12 weeks.Dont expect to fully recover back to where you were pre hip problems for about 12 to 14 months.

Ted Harper likes this.
  11. Drewboy

Drewboy Dedicated Member
    Ski Pass - Gold

I’ll just add be guided by the rehab staff they had me walking the day after the op and started rehab 5 days later.When I say walking that was with a frame I should add.

12. Moondog55

I love my food, I am a cook and chef after all but I am trying. Mind you I am overweight for me, not obese on the BMI scale and I have dropped a kilo or two.
    Surgeon says I should be up and walking [ Yes with a frame] the morning after the cut and shut unless I am up earlier. I've had my consult with the anaesthetist and at this stage I don't know if I am going to be done while fully under or just a spinal and relaxants
    They let me home as soon as I can put on my pants without help it seems and they expect 3 days in hospital but perhaps 4 or 5

13. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

In my case they also wanted me to be able to do stairs and get in/ out of a car.

Hint - the grabber stick is very useful for pulling up pants. Make sure you take one to hospital
    Another hint - take a light bag that you can hang round your neck while using crutches. I've got some light cloth ones that are ideal. So frustrating when you can't carry things. When i was in rehab after another recent op i even figured out how to carry a cuppa in it.

14. Moondog55

Great idea, I'll take my passport wallet
    I won't be able to use any of the cars in our collection [ sides on the bucket seats are too high] so it will be Patient Transport home

15. NewTurns

NewTurns Dedicated Member
    Ski Pass - Gold

Go the general....every time

16. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Passport wallet sounds small. I wanted one that would caary stuff like clothes (take into bathroom), tablet, book....

17. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Ski Pass - Gold

18. Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Make sure you get the ortho to put alpine lubricant in the joint if you want to ski anything higher than selwyn

19. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Ski Pass - Gold

Throw in *ahem* maturing hormones and it adds some complexity to that. After being super skinny as a youngster, I now eat less and exercise more than ever before and the weight still sneaks on.

LMB and dr80 like this.
  20. dr80

dr80 Well-Known Member
    Ski Pass - Gold

This ^^^^
    -Eat less fat and less and less Sugar - all types: sucrose, glucose, fructose, lactose,- alcohol and refined carbohydrates
    -Eat more veggies - (except potatoes)
    -have two meals a day and one or two snacks

We need so much less food than we think,
    and as chicski very rightly says, especially as we get older.

Men especially, often think the plate should have as much food on it as it did when they were in their 20's

NewTurns likes this.
  21. dr80

dr80 Well-Known Member
    Ski Pass - Gold

This ^^^
    Couldn't agree more.

And work on building as much strength in your core, hip / gluteal, and thigh muscles as you can.
    The stronger these muscles and the better your muscle control pre op, the quicker and more successful your recovery will be.
    See a physio or exercise physiologist pre op.

I like my clients to be strengthening their muscles at least 3 times per week for at least 6 weeks pre-op.
    Along with being light this makes a big difference to your post op recovery.

Orthopaedics has pretty much perfected hip replacement surgery
    + plus light and strong, = you pretty much can't go wrong lol

NewTurns and DPS Driver like this.
  22. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Ski Pass - Gold

Use a bread and butter plate instead :D

Charlie, NewTurns and LMB like this.
  23. Sandy

After fluctuating by about 2 kg from summer to ski season for 20 years, I lost 10kg and kept it off, plus built muscle, just by understanding the exact nature of the food I eat, and 10-15min of specific exercises a day, no gym memberships. I eat about the same amount, and I eat when I'm hungry, but I don't count calories. I eat healthy fats. The change in understanding made losing fat really easy, and sustainable.

24. Moondog55

Hell and heck and bother; I need to keep skiing but all I really want is to be able to tie my own shoe laces.

currawong likes this.
  25. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Elastic laces FTW

But putting sock on bad leg is still a challenge

26. Moondog55

For how long tho?. Surgeon says 5 to 8 weeks I'd like to think 4 if I work at it

27. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture

Can you give us the 5 minute summary? :)

28. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

actually I was talking about pre surgery. not being able to do shoes & socks is an indicator of advanced hip OA

my surgeon was adamant that I not bend down for 6 weeks (and other precautions like only sitting on chairs high chairs with arms, incl over toilet and shower, sleeping on back). this was to do with how long healing atkes, not effected by how well you do your rehab.

I think I mostly avoided socks after hip surgery, or got +1 to help. After back surgery I used a sock aid device to help put socks on. I couldn't use it after knee surgery. not sure about hip but worth a try.

29. Sandy

Glycaemic Index (GI) gives a value of how quickly the digestion of carbohydrates increases blood glucose. A value of 100 represents the standard equivalent amount of pure glucose. So for example, Turkish bread is about 85, peanuts 7, apples 35, basmati rice 55, Japanese rice 80, white bread rolls 80, etc. Anything above 70 is considered high.
    When you eat something with high GI, your blood glucose spikes (There's also Glycaemic Load, which gives an indication of how much available carb there is in a given amount). So if you eat a pinch of white bread roll it will not raise your blood glucose as much as a whole big roll.
    When you spike your blood glucose, insulin will kick in, and drive it down quickly. Where does it go? It's stored in you liver, in your muscles (as glycogen) or as fat.
    If you eat exactly the same food on consecutive days, with the same activity, but eat three white bread rolls in the morning on the 1st day, it will generally be stored as fat, because blood glucose spikes.You then need to get rid of that fat, by burning it (by having a deficit of blood glucose). On the 2nd day, if you eat 16 equal small portions of white bread rolls through the day, not as much fat will be stored.
    However, if your muscles are depleted of glycogen, instead of storing blood glucose as fat, it will store it in the muscles.

So to put it simply, if you know what the GI of the food you are eating, you will know approximately what your blood glucose will be soon. If you deplete your muscles before then, you will store it in the muscles, not as fat.

Then the other part is the 10-15min of muscle depleting exercise. I'm not talking about a 2km run on the flat, because although you might to puffing and sweating, your leg muscles don't feel depleted like they would if you'd run up 15 flights of stairs. The idea is to have a set of execises that deplete as many muscles as possible, in your core, arms, legs. Once the muscles are depleted, you don't store blood glucose as fat.

If you're hungry eat lower GI foods, or protein. e.g. Don't eat a chunk of Turkish bread, eat a handful of nuts, or an apple.

Poppies, Ted Harper and Annabuzzy like this.
  30. Moondog55

I'd add too that increasing the total fibre in the diet really helps [ well it's really helped me] it seems to lower the GI of any food and the full feeling means less snacking for most people. I don't advocate relying on pysillium for all of the dietary fibre needed for good diet but a little extra helps me a lot as does eating the whole orange etc

NewTurns likes this.
  31. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Dedicated Member
    Ski Pass - Gold

Like Sandy says.
    But,
    there is no way to stay on the edge of ketosis while immobile for weeks unless you renounce bread completely.
    How to avoid constipation? Oat bran cookies are the answer (Ducan). Gotta make your own as every commercial product will include sugar. Flavor with chilli and eat as many as you want. Yum

32. Moondog55

Luckilly a hip replacement does not mean being immobile. Up and at 'em on day 1 as soon as I wake up I am informed

33. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

not necessarily at 'em but certainly up on day 1.

my surgeon had a policy of no bed pans/bottles. when you gotta go you get yourself there. also had to be up and dressed every day. motto - you are not ill, you've just had an operation.

Ted Harper likes this.
  34. Bertie Egg

Bertie Egg Active Member

I had a day of rest because of a tube inserted,well, you can probably guess, but then it was zimmer frame laps of the ward the following day onwards. Mine was done from the back so more muscles cut/pulled apart and typically a slower recovery than from the front. Done on the Monday before Easter last year, moved to rehab hospital on Good Friday and then home the following Friday. I was happy to stay in hospital because health fund covered it 100% and I treated it like a holiday, except instead of snorkelling and paragliding I was doing rehab exercises twice a day. Was back at work (think laboratory work) after 5 weeks. Took the kids skiing 2nd week of September. Was able to ski just as crap as I could before, but took it steady.
    Getting harder to put shoes and socks on right foot now, so Round 2 is looming. At least I will be over 50 for the second one.

Ted Harper likes this.
  35. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here
    Ski Pass - Gold

Joizus curra, have you had hip AND knee replacements?
    Keep going, and there'll be nothing left of the original you!
    Speaking as someone who is now experiencing a knee problem
    I was unable to ski this season and have been putting off seeing a doctor, it feels like there is bone on bone going on, but I'll have to bite the bullet soon,
    but after my kidney exploration next Monday!

currawong likes this.
  36. Moondog55

Kidneys far more important than knees, you can drink beer without knees.
    It's good to know that the operation will help me ski as badly as ever too, which is far far better than not skiing at all at all

Ted Harper and currawong like this.
  37. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

And having xrays of other knee & hip leading up to seeing surgeon soom :( .
    The main reason to put off knee replacement is of you are young enough that you might wear out the new one. Shouldn't be a worry for a true old fart like you. :p
    All the best with kidney and knee

38. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Active Member

I had a hip replacement 20 years ago when I was 21. It was the result of a very bad ski fall 2 years earlier when I went off a kicker and landed at speed on the tip of my ski and the binding didn't release. I shattered the neck of my femur resulting in screws, pins and plates. Over the next 2 years I developed avascular necrosis (Ball of hip dead due to severed blood supply) resulting in the need for a hip replacement. I found the initial recovery quite hard due to all of the other pins etc needing to be taken out. With physio I was skiing the next season and 20 years later am skiing better than I ever have. In that time done a couple of North American seasons, heli trips and most resort terrain including bumps. I am a little hesitant on ice as it has inbuilt a slight fear of falling. The one thing I can't/don't do is run as consent impact is not advised. My only fear is that they don't last forever and at some point I will need another one. I'm not sure if you are more restricted on #2. So my advice is to do all your physio, strengthen the muscles around it and get out there are do the things you love. One thing worth noting is that years later I developed a bad knee on the other leg as I spent 15 years slightly overcompensating for my hip which built up the muscles on the outside of my knee on the other leg, in turn weakening the muscle on the inside of my knee. Being knock kneed didn't help. Physio and orthotics sorted it. Hope this helps.

Ted Harper and Bertie Egg like this.
  39. Moondog55

Yes it helps and thanks a heap Really
    Still nervous tho but I have music on the phone and earbuds so I won't be able to hear the jokes or the surgeon gnawing on the bone, debating eye pads/sleep mask because of the glare
    Well I'm first cab off the rank tomorrow
    0900 on the 18th of January, predicted date of discharge is 22nd; and I hope to be fit enough to party just a little bit on the first of Feb because I turn 66 then and I want to be able to do stuff, nothing in particular just "Stuff"

40. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

good luck

you should be able to be out and about. i went to BIL's 50th b'day soon after my THR.
    took my own chair everywhere so i could obey all the restrictions - and used disabled dunnies.